General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Opinion Needed: a few questions about my monte

Old 11-19-2014, 07:06 AM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default a few questions about my monte

Hey there folks I've been wondering a few things gs about my ride and I have been quite curious. 1. When I go for a cold start the cranking sounds weak. It's been around 22 degrees out I'm sure that has something to do with it but should I be alarmed? Was thinking about getting my battery recharged this weekend. 2. When I open the driver side door I hear a pop sound, sounds like it's coming from the fender, I can even feel it I'm not sure if it's something that needs lube or someone tagged me. And this last one is non monte related but has anyone had any experience with Ford explorers? My gf is looking at one this weekend it's for winter only. Thanks in advance guys

Old 11-19-2014, 08:40 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Owen:
Despite the cold temps...
Whens the last time you put a new battery in it? in other words how old is your current one? It may be a sign that its getting tired..Cold weather really takes its toll on a battery.. Is it garage kept or is it parked outdoors?
When they are parked out doors and if the wind is as bad there where you are like its been here the last few days ..the wind chill is enough to almost freeze it up solid.. Be sure also that your coolant levels are up and at the proper mixture for colder temps.. It seems were in for another deep freeze this winter like last year... The door creek/pop could be a cpl of things..when the last time you did or had the hinges oiled? Was your Monte in an accident recently? or could someone have possibly backed into it? It could be that now the front end gap(Between the door and fender) have been disturbed/ hit.. and that could really cause a problem of the long term as one day the rubbing could actually turn into denting the fender and or door or both...Thus causing even further damage...

You could however try to reset the door fender gap yourself or take it to a professional to correct the situation/problem.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:23 AM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by STUMPMI
Owen:
Whens the last time you put a new battery in it? in other words how old is your current one? It may be a sign that its getting tired..Cold weather really takes its toll on a battery.. Is it garage kept or is it parked outdoors?
When they are parked out doors and if the wind is as bad there where you are like its been here the last few days ..the wind chill is enough to almost freeze it up solid.. Be sure also that your coolant levels are up and at the proper mixture for colder temps.. It seems were in for another deep freeze this winter like last year... The door creek/pop could be a cpl of things..when the last time you did or had the hinges oiled? Was your Monte in an accident recently? or could someone have possibly backed into it? It could be that now the front end gap(Between the door and fender) have been disturbed/ hit.. and that could really cause a problem of the long term as one day the rubbing could actually turn into denting the fender and or door or both...Thus causing even further damage...

You could however try to reset the door fender gap yourself or take it to a professional to correct the situation/problem.
Hey thanks for the replies I just checked my notes and I got this battery exactly 1.24.14 so it's not even a year old. It's parked outside so this makes me think I should get the battery recharged for the winter really comes in. I seen the door and the fender actually touching when I open the door now that I've inspect it. Seems someone take me but there's no real damage beside that. I can research how to fix that cause I know most shoes will jack my wallet for something so small

Old 11-19-2014, 09:38 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by owens91
Hey thanks for the replies I just checked my notes and I got this battery exactly 1.24.14 so it's not even a year old. It's parked outside so this makes me think I should get the battery recharged for the winter really comes in. I seen the door and the fender actually touching when I open the door now that I've inspect it. Seems someone take me but there's no real damage beside that. I can research how to fix that cause I know most shoes will jack my wallet for something so small
Is your Monte a daily driver? Or is being stored for the winter..I'm guessing your still driving it owen... Are you able to park it in your driveway or is it parked on the street...

Generally if its driven daily..it should be enough to keep the battery full charged... Or it maybe a sign that your alternator is getting weakend from driving/usage/age. .Maybe its time for a new alternator?

Heres an old school trick my father taught me...
When its parked outdoors in the cold, You could place a trouble light under the hood... (It acts Like a heater) That actually helps the motor stay a bit warmer VS freezing up.. and it will actually crank more easily and quicker start ups. Being from Michigan... I have experienced this first hand...

You may also want to try say if the wind is blowing in the direction of the grill.. Place a sheet of cardboard in front of it(The Grill underhood) to keep the wind blowing down to a minimum thru the engine compartment... This will also aide in easier startups. I just don't recommend driving it with the card board in front of the radiator as that will cause over heating. But place it in the car should you stop somewhere for a long period of time (Like at work) Then you can reuse it and get the same benefit of easier start ups. and possibly contain some of the heat in the motor through out your work day.

Just somethings to consider thru the winter Months.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by STUMPMI; 11-19-2014 at 09:40 AM.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:28 AM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by STUMPMI
Owen: