General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.
View Poll Results: How did you learn how to work on cars (vehicles) ?
I learned from trial & error
26.32%
Learned from a family Member
31.58%
Learned from a Friend(s)
10.53%
I read a lot online + places like libaries
15.79%
Learned at Work " Company Training Programs"
0%
Went to Tech School, College, Auto Mechanic School
0%
Took Auto Classes in High School
0%
I did not learn > I tried & I'm just stupid (LOL)
5.26%
I did not learn & take it to the Pro's
10.53%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

>Member's, How did you learn how to be a Mechanic ? <

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 12:55 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question >Member's, How did you learn how to be a Mechanic ? <

Hi Member's,
How did you learn to work on cars ?
Your Monte Carlo ?
Is it your profession ?
Post & let us know `OK ?

Please post & let us know `OK

Last edited by Space; 11-19-2014 at 01:07 PM.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:57 PM
Question How to Learn Auto Mechanics

How to Learn Auto Mechanics

Learning about auto mechanics can be achieved in many ways. If you want to pursue a career in car mechanics, then you should follow the route that affords you the best education. Doing so will ensure that you learn as much as you can about being a car mechanic. Therefore, consider the following steps if you want to learn auto mechanics.

Ad

Steps

Recognize the extent of knowledge and skill that an auto mechanic should retain. This way you will not be surprised in the midst of your instruction. Mechanics must have vast knowledge in adjusting, repairing, maintaining and testing all the mechanisms of a car.
    Ad

Commence your auto repair training by completing your high school education. A high school diploma provides a basic foundation upon which you can build your career in mechanics. Comprehending the technical side of auto mechanics will be easier with basic math, science and English knowledge.

Complete a program for auto service technicians. This type of course is usually offered by a vocational school or community college. Some car dealerships and manufacturers also provide this type of training. Earning a degree or certificate will add credibility to your resume.

Research local car mechanic programs and workshops for additional training. Search online or in professional publications for information.

Get certified in auto mechanics. Research the top certification programs, and sign up. You may want to check with professionals in the area of mechanics you wish to pursue about which certification is recommended. Certification, although not required, will likely improve your chances of finding a career in a well-respected company.

Pick an internship in a professional capacity. Whether you decide on a dealership or manufacturing company, hands on experience is one of the best ways to gain knowledge and skill. Internships offer real life scenarios that you are unlikely to get in school. Consider taking classes and an internship simultaneously. If you do well in your internship position, your employer may offer you a full time position after you complete your studies.

Get your foot in the door by working as an assistant car mechanic. If there is a company that you want to work for, find out if you can work there as a junior assistant. Once you establish yourself, you can apply for a full time position. Just like an intern position, you are given an opportunity to prove your competence in this capacity. If your employer is happy with your progress, you could ask if you could attend an auto mechanic training course at the expense of the company.

Remain informed of the latest trends associated with auto repair. This may include continuing education so that you are up-to-date with technology changes in the industry. Continued mechanic instruction will build your value and credibility within your company, which will likely improve your chances of promotion.

Last edited by Space; 11-19-2014 at 01:05 PM.
Old 11-19-2014, 02:16 PM

I just started working on cars when I was 17, and have learned as I went on.

I rebuilt a Volkswagen engine as one of my first major projects, and although it ran fine, it kept ripping the drive plate of of the crankshaft hub. I eventually took it to a mechanic to have it rebuilt professionally. He told me that the problem was not that it was ripping the drive plate off, but that it ran at all. I uses a Haynes manual, and they said nothing about things like crankshaft end play.

Since then I've repaired and restored all of my own cars. I do a lot of reading and research on the web, something that wasn't possible for the first 20 years I fixed cars.

I also recommend getting the dealer service manuals. They're worth their weight in gold.

I just got a Tech 2 to work on my GM cars. You may not need something that pricey, but you should have some type of code reader.

Last edited by gprtech; 11-19-2014 at 02:22 PM.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:24 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

From my Daddy, google and scraped knuckles.

My dad used to set me on the fender of his ole 1960 something Buick special I was about 6 or so my legs dangling into the massive engine compartment.

He hand me a bunch of tools on my lap and ask for them as he needed them. He explained what he was doing as he did the work. Fondest memories of him under the hood of that car

Last edited by Tadcaster; 11-19-2014 at 07:43 PM.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:32 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

It may seem strange to some, but I never envisioned myself EVER wrenching on cars. But I blame the beginnings of the on my dad lol!

I got my license at age 17 (about the same time as my step-brother). At that time, my dad pulled us aside when his rusted out '86 Buick Century was due for an oil change. I remember him saying "Now that you boys are going to be driving, you need to learn a little something about car maintenance and saving a few bucks". That was it, beginning for an oil change.... And it snow balled.

My first car was an '84 Century and man was that an education!!! Dad was willing to do the work and educate, but I had to pay for the parts. In those early days, I was mostly the guy running to grab and hand tools. I won't say these were the most fond memories (as many times a 5 minute chore on that car, turned into a 3+ hour event since something like a bolt would snap).

I value everything I learned and my teachers have expanded to close friends who also wrench, and a few spots on the Internet (MCF.com being one of many).

I have come a long way from the kid who never wanted to pick up a wrench. I also believe, if I did not know what I do and could save the money I have saved doing the repairs myself, my driveway would look a LOT different these days.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:17 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

This poll should probably be left open for multiple answers.

The old guys on the forum, like myself, are likely to have got our starts from Dad. That's how we used to have to learn cuz we didn't have the inter webz. You learn at bit in school (not much), a bit more fixing your own stuff and then if you were good at it you could learn a lot if you got a job working with different models.

Now anyone with patience can do this with google and youtube

Old 11-19-2014, 08:36 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member

I learned from my Dad.
I Went to Tech School, College, Auto Mechanic School
I got a job at USPS working on mail trucks big an small..

Old 11-19-2014, 08:58 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I was 18, had a VW Super V, the clutch went, I bought a new one. It cost me $85 for the parts. $190 to put it in. At that point new 2 things;
1) I was always gonna need a car.
2) Why pay someone to do thing I could do, if I had the tools, And the knowledge.
A high school friend and his father opened up a shop in the area, so I went to work With Him, learned from Charly, my friend, in his ship, what I learned was my pay. Years later I bought a junked Iroc 350. I made that car last 5 years longer than it should have. That car brought me to the Realization that l liked working under a Shade Tree. Still do. Although I may not take Every over tuning to work on Ol Yella, I take every opportunity to learn how to do what ever she may need. I take car of her, under a shady tree, and she takes care of me on the road! She's My Ol Yella! And I am her Shade Tree Mechanic! :-)

Old 11-19-2014, 08:58 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2016
10 Year Member

Learned from my uncle, seen here with me some time in the distant past.

He pulled engines using a pullies held by a swing set. Painted cars in the garage. Usually had time to answer my questions, sometimes had enough and would threaten to toss me into the holly tree. Left wrenches out within reach so I could 'practice' by finding bolts they would fit and trying to loosen them. My inspiration for anything car related, rest in peace uncle Bunky.

Old 11-19-2014, 11:45 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Lots of reading forums...

Quick Reply: >Member's, How did you learn how to be a Mechanic ? <