General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Opinion Needed: Engine cradle replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 12:45 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Engine cradle replacement

Hello guys, it's been a while.

I was in a car accident where a woman ran a red light, struck my driver side and pushed my car into a curb. When the car hit the curb, the engine cradle took the brunt of the impact and was seriously deformed on the driver side front. After getting the car back from the shop I have a very prominent, pulsating hum on left hand maneuvers at any speed, and some pops in right hand and it tracks to the left.

I think that the damage to the engine cradle affected the mount for the driver front control arm and has thrown that wheel assembly for a loop. My only other suspicion is in the quality of the used parts the shop put on my car to "get it running".

So here are the questions.

Based on the description Do you believe that my suspension noise in my driver front wheel well is the result of the damaged cradle or something else?

If it is the engine cradle, I want to replace it without taking the engine and trans out. The engine weight will be supported by a crane from above and the wishbone mounts on the upper front of the engine to the body, and I'll drop the cradle from below. What do you think about that method? Easiest way to do it, or is there a better way?

Thanks for the help guys!

Old 03-22-2016, 01:17 PM

Sorry to read about your accident & problem's
I hope you are OK and weren't hurt ?

I also hope that one of our expert member's that has knowledge of your questions can assist you (?)

Until then you may want to check the below links...
Wish you good luck on your fix

montecarloforum.com › ... › FWD Tech Guides '95-'07

Aug 9, 2011 - 2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo .... on its own (500+ dollars) as the engine cradle needs to be removed to replace the gasket. ... 2004 Monte Carlo SS 3800 N/A See website for MOD List ... would love to swap the ss engine in itEngine and Transmission removal - Monte Carlo Forum
Oct 30, 2015

▶ 12:50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ISGjPDFbSU
Sep 13, 2011 - Uploaded by ShawnCFarm
How to replace a K frame on a GM car.mp4 ... Replacing thesubframe on the 93 Buick Lesabre Limited part 1 - Duration: 10:39. bah53 13,414 ...

www.automotiveforums.com › ... › Chevrolet › Impala | Impala SS

Jul 8, 2005 - Sub Frame Welds Impala | Impala SS Car Forums. ... I was told today bychevy service the problem is defective / missing sub ... Thats correct, the impala has an aluminum engine cradle. ... sub frame welds, a common problem on Monte Carlos and Impala's. ..... I have a 2004 Impala that we purchased new.

www.gmpartsnortheast.com › 2004 CHEVROLET MONTE CARLO
ENGINE CRADLE for 2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 3.8L V6 - Gas | Part #25912831. ... This part fits your 2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Change vehicle ...

www.conceptcarz.com › Coupes › Manufacturers › Chevrolet

The Chevrolet Monte Carlo (2004); Also known as: LS, SS, Supercharged SS, 3400, 3800. ... In addition, powder-metal connecting rods replace cast-iron rods for ... A unique extruded aluminum engine cradle helps isolate engine noise and ...

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 03-22-2016 at 01:24 PM.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:19 AM

I forgot to ask this question too:

When hooking up the engine to a crane or support bar, where are the best mount points or loop around areas to use?

Old 03-23-2016, 07:52 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Use the two engine lift brackets. They are both painted black.
One is at front and center, in front of the valve cover.
The other is in back by the alternator.

Old 03-24-2016, 02:16 PM
Default Thank you!

Originally Posted by plumbob
Use the two engine lift brackets. They are both painted black.
One is at front and center, in front of the valve cover.
The other is in back by the alternator.
Thanks for the info! I'm sure you're asking yourself, "does this guy even lift"? Lol

Old 03-24-2016, 03:27 PM
Talking Got 2 `be in good shape 2 work on a Monte (LOL)

Originally Posted by Monte_Man04
Thanks for the info! I'm sure you're asking yourself, "does this guy even lift"? Lol

Yes, many of the member's in the MCF Coffee Shop & also
in the MCF Bar were asking if Monte Man ever lifted (LOL)

We wish you good luck on your project...Keep us updated.

Old 03-25-2016, 07:53 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

No need to lift, just support. Lol