Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Clunk when accelerating from a stop...

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 10:15 PM
Default Clunk when accelerating from a stop...

I have had this clunk issue that has gotten progressively worse. Basically what happens is when I begin accelerating from a stop, either forwards or reverse it clunks and then is fine. It only happens if I don't ween into the gas very slowly. I am assuming this is a motor or transmission mount, but don't know where they are on this car or how to replace either of them but I'm sure it's not too difficult. I realize the top two mounts are the dog bone mounts to the engine but I really think it has to be a lower mount to make the noise that it is. Thanks for the replies!

Old 09-26-2011, 11:04 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Most likely a trans or motor mount. Or my best guess would be a lower control arm bushing.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:44 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

There is a TSB about this type of issue. A popping noise from the front end. heres the thread
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/en...versing-22646/

Here's the info I was referring to

...And look what i found on some auto repair forum site. I just copied it right from there but it seems to be all of the info to make this repair.
Reference #: CAR 2002 04

Document Title: CLICKING OR SNAPPING NOISE FROM FRONT SUSPENSION - CAR APRIL 2002 - HIDL

Condition:

Cause:

Correction: Apply Loctite with special applicator

We have dealt with this issue once before on TAC TALK, and at that time the noise was believed to be only from the steering rack support brackets, since then other areas of the cradle have been found to create the noise.

It's important to diagnose this noise correctly. The cradle may require shimming to prevent a pop type noise.

- If the customer comments on a noise that occurs only on launch or during deceleration, reference Service Bulletin #00-08-61-003.
- If the noise is evident when turning the wheels with the car stationary, the noise may be from the engine cradle assembly.

So today we're going to show you the latest repair procedure for the clicking or creaking noise from the Impala and Monte Carlo cradle.

- This noise occurs at the steering gear brackets and the rear corners of the cradle while stationary or during low speed turns.
- This repair for the cradle noise will require Loctite 290, non-chlorinated brake parts cleaner and a syringe to apply the Loctite and you will also need a heat gun.

These procedures can and should be done in the car:
- Start by cleaning the surfaces with a degreaser. Make sure you remove any dirt and oil at the joints where the Loctite will be applied. Start at the steering rack brackets and completely clean the welds and surfaces.

- Next, clean the joints between the left and right body brackets and the cradle. Make sure that you clean all contact points since these are areas where the Loctite will be applied.

- Next, use the heat gun to dry the solvent, and wipe off the residue with a clean rag. Make sure there is no residual solvent in the welds and joints.

- Now we will apply the Loctite 290 using the syringe. Place a catch pan under the application area to catch any Loctite that runs off. It can be reused during the procedure.

- We will start applying Loctite at the top joints of the steering rack brackets. Pool it in this location so that it flows into the joint. Apply the Loctite on both sides of each bracket.

- Next apply it across the bracket welds and pay particular attention to the ends of the welds. The reason we are applying it to the welds is to fill any micro cracks and pin holes. If the cradle that you are working on does not have vertical welds on the brackets, make sure you flow, sufficient Loctite into the vertical joint.

- Next we need to inject 6ml into each hole under the steering rack brackets. The Loctite must be injected up into the corners. Rapidly depress the plunger while moving from one corner to the other. After completing both holes, inject 10ml into each gap between the body brackets and the rear, cross member.

- Then we need to apply Loctite to all the welds of the right and left body brackets.
The right side will require 18ml and the left side will require 15ml of Loctite. Again pay particular attention to the ends of the welds.

- Each side has ten welds that require Loctite

- The last thing to do is to lower the car from the hoist, start the engine and then turn the steering wheel lock to lock, twenty five times to work the Loctite into the joints.

- Park the vehicle for 24 hours to allow the Loctite to set up. Once the Loctite is set up, the noise will not come back.

Many methods to eliminate this noise were evaluated, and the Loctite provide the best results for a long-term repair.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:19 AM

WOW! Thank you so much for the info. This is pretty much EXACTLY what is happening to me. I will do this when I go home next with the help of my father.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:45 AM

Cool maybe take some pics or do a write up for it. This is a common problem that comes up a lot around here. Mine does it still and i've been gonna do it but never can find the time for it to set that long.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:38 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

anything on this?

Old 01-16-2012, 10:20 PM

I've still never done it, I don't think mine does it much anymore. once in a while it still does tho.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:51 AM

Try tightening the bolts on your diagonal braces under the hood. I had a similar issue