Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Engine and Transmission removal

Old 10-30-2015, 10:41 AM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Engine and Transmission removal

All,

Big task ahead of me this weekend. Here's the background:

The car is a 2004 Monte SS 3.8L V6, 4T65e transmission, 140,000 miles

I'm experiencing P1811 long shift hard shifts. this can be caused by failing solenoids and/or bad valves inside the tranny. I plan to do the work myself. This will involve pulling the engine/trans, opening the side cover to check the valves and replace solenoids. If valves are bad, I'm going to disassemble valve body from transmission, get a shop to rework it.

So, here's where I could use as much information as you wonderful people can provide me.

Most videos / tutorials detail removal by dropping the cradle. I want to pull out the Engine and transmission out the top as one unit. Does anyone have any red flags or things I need to watch out for? Has anyone tried this and could you supply a write up on the procedure? I've seen one topic on here about a 3.4 being pulled from a 1996, but that's a little too different to use as a reference.

Does anyone have a write up about transmission disassembly? I know I can find YouTube videos, and I will, but I'd like you guys input as well.

While I have the engine out is there anything else I should replace or take a look at?

Finally, does anyone feel that I'm just bat**** crazy? If so, let me know how you would go about this task.

Thanks!

Last edited by Monte_Man04; 10-30-2015 at 12:00 PM.
Old 10-31-2015, 09:26 AM

I removed a 3100/4t60 out the top of my 96 and reinstalled a 3800 SC/4t65hd through the top also.

I had no real issues at all, it was very simple. The only oddball thing I remember is with the big ABS computer on the 5th gen, I had to hook the engine/trans up to the cherry picker with the transmission hanging low (I'd guess about a 30 degree angle) so I could slide the trans in and under the abs, and then lower the engine the rest of the way. I didn't have a load leveler, so I had to pull it back out and move my cherry picker attach point.

As for a guide, I would think one for any engine would be just fine on a wbody. There isn't anything particularly special about one vs another. This is what you need to disconnect:
-4 engine mounts (2 upper, 2 lower)
-both axles
-fuel lines, cooling lines, power steering, ac (you can just unbolt the compressor if you don't want to discharge it)
-then you unclip any wiring that is holding the engine to the car (don't forget the starter wires)

As far as other things to do while it's out- is the trans still original? If so, I'd certainly think about a full rebuild as long as you've got it out. Pulling the engine is a lot of labor for just replacing a problem valve or two, as long as it's out, you may as well refresh everything if you plan to keep the car.

Edit- as far as transmission disassembly, buy the ATSG manual for this trans, it has all of the information you need.

Old 10-31-2015, 12:40 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I don't think you can remove the engine/transmission from the top as a unit on a gen. 6. The trans. has to be separated and dropped out the bottom. Unless you need to work on the engine I'd leave it alone. Check the rear main seal with the trans. out. You will need an engine support bar to hold up the engine when you remove the engine cradle, and a low profile trans. jack to support the trans.
At 140,000 miles I would also recommend a full rebuild. The friction plates have to be worn. I would buy a re-manufactured trans. (better than rebuilt). Rock Auto sells them for around $1,200 including shipping and comes with a 3 year, 100,000 mile warranty.
Whichever way you go, be sure to replace the torque converter, flush the trans. cooler lines, replace the filter.
You don't need to disconnect fuel lines, A/C or steering pump if just replacing the trans.

If you do just the valves and solenoids, you don't even have to pull the trans. Just lower the engine cradle on the driver side and pull the side cover. If you get that far you won't need a shop to make repairs. Just be careful with the check ***** that might fall out when you take off the cover.

Last edited by plumbob; 10-31-2015 at 12:44 PM.
Old 10-31-2015, 07:00 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

I have pulled the engine and trans together out the top twice, dropped the trans out the bottom 3 other times and pulled the engine itself out the top once. All three can be done. There are pros and cons to each.... if you go out the bottom you will need an alignment once finoshed, go out the top you need to remove the master cylinder. Also you can unbolt the ac compressor and leave it in there so you don't loose the refrigerant. I also have many detailed pics of a trans build, I believe I made a post here with all them pics in it

Old 11-01-2015, 12:40 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

And here is the thread Turbo Monte speaks of:
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/en...c-heavy-45723/

Old 11-01-2015, 10:12 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member

Jason, thanks for resurecting this thread. This is the first time I've seen it.

John. Outstanding! Thanks for taking the time to share your project. Very impressed. You raise the bar and give inspiration to us all. Thinking about disassembling the old 4T65E I took out a few months ago that you guided me one the replacement of.
How's the trans. build holding up since the last post?

Greg. You impress me too. This thread lead me to more closely check out your build at your homepage. Nice job!

Last edited by plumbob; 11-01-2015 at 10:16 AM.
Old 11-01-2015, 10:35 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

Thanks for digging up that thread maniac.

This trans sadly didn't last too long do to a bad tune and 4th gear hub issues. After this failure I sent it to Dave at TEP to go through it, he said between the tune and 4th hub being bad is what killed it ( No way of me to test the hub like he can) I got the trans back from him and so far it's been great knock on wood!

Old 11-02-2015, 06:01 AM

monte man, im trying to do the same thing, i would like to pull the engine because i have a oil leak and i cnt find where its coming from. The bottom of my engine has oil all over it. Did you see or know of a video showing someone pulling an engine out>

Search this Thread