General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Curious?--3900 V6 and info on Mustang's

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 11:26 PM
Default Curious?--3900 V6 and info on Mustang's

Good day MCF members. I happened to dig up some good information on some questions I've seen repeated throughout the forum, so I'm here to share.

For those that have seen the Mustangs and wondered wether or not it was a GT:
Ok, I'm not sure about previous years, but I just picked up a 07Mustang Sales brocure (don't worry, I'm not even CLOSE to thinking about buying one) There is only one surefire way to tell a GT, and that's the exhaust. The V6 mustangs only have a single exhaust, while the V8 Stangs allhave duals. The GT's also have the "extra" headlights/foglights in the grille area. There is a V6 appearance package (the 'Pony' package) that gives the vehicle a spoiler and foglights in the grille area. These are of a smaller diameter, and have a chrome trim that surrounds them. The grille cross-hatch is also much 'larger' than that of the GT's.

For those curious about how Chevy's 3900 V6 engine produces such great numbers:
--(note, below you'll notice it talks about the 3.5L, but it's the same that that is on the 3.9L)
Variable valve timing
Perhaps the most significant technological feature of the new 3.5L V-6 is the adaptation of variable valve timing – a first for cam-in-block engines. The system incorporates a vane-type camshaft phaser that changes the angular orientation of the camshaft, thereby adjusting the timing of the intake and exhaust valves to optimize performance and economy, and helping lower emissions. It offers infinitely variable valve timing in relation to the crankshaft. The cam phasing creates "dual equal" valve timing adjustments. In other words, the intake valves and exhaust valves are varied at the same time and at the same rate. The cam phaser vane is attached to the camshaft on the front journal – a technique made easier by the award-winning "assembled-camshaft" design pioneered by General Motors. With this design, separate camshaft lobes are installed on a hollow camshaft tube rather than the traditional method of grinding a camshaft from a single piece of stock. The cam position sensor reads a new cam target ring, with four segments that increases the accuracy of the position readings. Hydraulic roller lifters actuate the valves via pushrods.
Variable intake manifold
The variable intake manifold is an engine feature usually found only on high-cost, premium European performance cars, but the new manifold design is standard with the 3.9L V-6. The active air intake optimizes incoming airflow through a valve in the intake manifold. The valve creates longer or shorter intake tracts that correspond to desired engine-performance parameters. At low engine speeds, the valve creates a longer path for intake air, enhancing combustion efficiency and torque output. At higher engine speeds, the valve opens, creating a shorter air path for maximum power production.

Old 05-02-2007, 11:33 PM
Default RE: Curious?--3900 V6 and info on Mustang's

Ok, want pics?

Fine.... Dyno map and the engine itself attached.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2185/554CE76B783D4733ACC6C5F0D915492E.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/2185/1FF1AAFEC5D14B5B8719F2AA7DF91733.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-03-2007, 01:56 PM
Default RE: Curious?--3900 V6 and info on Mustang's

[align=center][/align][align=center]Hi Michael & thanks for your post on the BadAzz 3.9L Engine [/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I can always tell it's a GT V-8 Mustang by the sound.[/align][align=center]I love the sound of the V-8 : )[/align][align=center]* Also by the tire size [/align][align=center]Below are some sound clips of the V-8 & V-6 Mustangs[/align][align=center]Turn up your Speakers [/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Mustang Exhaust Sounds[/align][align=center][:-]Click on below link[:-][/align][align=center]http://www.mustangspeed.com/mustang_exhaust_sounds.htm[/align][align=center]

[hr]

[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]MCF Member ~TGABREU~[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Sounds Clips of his Awesome 3.9L 2006 LT3 Stock : )[/align][align=center][:-]Click below 2 listen : )[/align][align=center]Sounds SUPER [:-][/align][align=center]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbQ3mcNFaWo[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]It's music to my ears : )[/align][align=center][/align]