General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Anyone in SPL?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by M.C.BOB
I'm prepared to spend the money, I'm not expecting to get this done in a month lol. I've already put close to 1500 to get to this point, and there's obviously a lot to work on.

Yes the box was firing into the cabin when I got the 140. The plan is to get an aero ported box firing to the side with a few 6" ports. May try the suggestion you sent me in pm as well (I know a few people that build boxes so it shouldn't be a problem.)

Yea a month isn't too bad from what I've heard lol. Still have yet to get the time/daylight to install it. The case isn't exactly like the stock alt. They sent an extra mounting bracket and I'm not sure how it's going to go on. Hopefully it'll all go on well with no problems. And if it all works out I think I'll add an extra ground from the alt case to the battery.
Yeah, firing into the cabin like that without having the box sealed off is definitely hurting your score. Want to see how bad it's hurting? With the box like it was, get in the car and listen to it with a song you're very familiar with and has some good bass to it. Then while you're listening to it have a buddy open the trunk halfway

I wish I could give you a surefire way to reach your goal, but then again what's the fun in that? The fun, to me at least, is building and rebuilding, to find out what works well in your car and what doesn't. Hopefully we see some build logs from you in the near future, definitely got my attention!

Good luck with that alt, they make good stuff like you said but their customer service sucks! They like telling people their alt is shipping a certain day and then not shipping it, this usually happens multiple times before the person ever gets their order. You'd think after a couple times of that happening that they would stop giving people dates. Let me know how the install of it goes and how much of a difference it makes for you.

Also to add to this. As I stated before I had someone order this for me. The guy that ordered this for me knows the ceo of the company, and he still had to call them 2 or 3 times even after it was ordered. You just have to be patient with them. From what I hear their products are top notch. I assume they're just really busy with custom builds. Customer service is definitely something they could improve on.
So very true! The worst story i've seen so far is a guy waiting for 2 years to get his 5 alt setup w/custom mounting bracket, costed him $2500 and took them 2 years to get them to him

Old 04-06-2011, 11:22 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

2 years. That's insane!

Old 04-06-2011, 03:00 PM

Could you imagine having $2500 out there for that long and the whole time being lied to over and over about where they're at in the process, when its going to ship, not getting follow up calls or emails and not even having ur follow up calls and emails responded to?

Old 04-07-2011, 09:07 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Milhouse
Yeah, firing into the cabin like that without having the box sealed off is definitely hurting your score. Want to see how bad it's hurting? With the box like it was, get in the car and listen to it with a song you're very familiar with and has some good bass to it. Then while you're listening to it have a buddy open the trunk halfway

I wish I could give you a surefire way to reach your goal, but then again what's the fun in that? The fun, to me at least, is building and rebuilding, to find out what works well in your car and what doesn't. Hopefully we see some build logs from you in the near future, definitely got my attention!

Good luck with that alt, they make good stuff like you said but their customer service sucks! They like telling people their alt is shipping a certain day and then not shipping it, this usually happens multiple times before the person ever gets their order. You'd think after a couple times of that happening that they would stop giving people dates. Let me know how the install of it goes and how much of a difference it makes for you.

So very true! The worst story i've seen so far is a guy waiting for 2 years to get his 5 alt setup w/custom mounting bracket, costed him $2500 and took them 2 years to get them to him
Could you explain a little more about how I'm loosing db by firing into the cabin. My though is that the bass is coming out of the port, so I'm feeling the bass directly. If I turn it around I would think I would lose db's because I'm firing the bass towards the back of the trunk.

I have high expectations with this alt. The stock alt just sucks It'll drop down to mid 12's no problem, I turn the bass down asap when this happens. Hopefully with this new alt it'll keep me about 14 at all times. Hopefully

I heard the story as well with that guy waiting ~2 years. I'd be furious.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:15 PM

Could you explain a little more about how I'm loosing db by firing into the cabin. My though is that the bass is coming out of the port, so I'm feeling the bass directly. If I turn it around I would think I would lose db's because I'm firing the bass towards the back of the trunk.

I have high expectations with this alt. The stock alt just sucks It'll drop down to mid 12's no problem, I turn the bass down asap when this happens. Hopefully with this new alt it'll keep me about 14 at all times. Hopefully

I heard the story as well with that guy waiting ~2 years. I'd be furious.
I see your logic, but it's not that simple.

The whole purpose to sealing off the trunk is to eliminate the issue of cancellation due to the front and rear sound waves being out of phase with each other. How do you know if you have cancellation? Easy. Sit in your car and listen to a song you're familiar with, while you're listening to the song have a buddy open the trunk, if the bass gets louder then you indeed are having cancellation issues. How can the bass get louder with the trunk open? Makes no sense huh?

In this picture the vertical line is the back of the trunk and the black box is the subwoofer box which is facing towards the cabin. When the sub hits, the sound goes foward into the cabin (red wave) but also reflects off the back of the trunk to become the reflected wave. When those two waves are way out of alignment as shown in the picture there will be major cancellation. Simply opening the trunk will cause that reflected wave to "disappear" and not reflect back in the trunk and not cause cancellation in the process.

In this picture the sub is aimed at the trunk and the result is that the waves aren't nearly as out of phase as the first picture, resulting in much better bass response but still not as good as it can be.

In this picture the sub box is moved so it's closer to the back of the trunk with the sub firing towards the trunk resulting in the waves nearly being in phase with each other resulting in the best bass response.

Firing the subs/port into the cabin with the baffle of the box sealed off from the trunk results in a wave patter much the same as the last picture, directs all the sound/air into the cabin area and nearly eliminates that horrendous trunk rattle on high powered systems too.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:32 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2010
Monte Of The Month -- July 2013
IT HERTZ
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Milhouse
I see your logic, but it's not that simple.

The whole purpose to sealing off the trunk is to eliminate the issue of cancellation due to the front and rear sound waves being out of phase with each other. How do you know if you have cancellation? Easy. Sit in your car and listen to a song you're familiar with, while you're listening to the song have a buddy open the trunk, if the bass gets louder then you indeed are having cancellation issues. How can the bass get louder with the trunk open? Makes no sense huh?

In this picture the vertical line is the back of the trunk and the black box is the subwoofer box which is facing towards the cabin. When the sub hits, the sound goes foward into the cabin (red wave) but also reflects off the back of the trunk to become the reflected wave. When those two waves are way out of alignment as shown in the picture there will be major cancellation. Simply opening the trunk will cause that reflected wave to "disappear" and not reflect back in the trunk and not cause cancellation in the process.

In this picture the sub is aimed at the trunk and the result is that the waves aren't nearly as out of phase as the first picture, resulting in much better bass response but still not as good as it can be.

In this picture the sub box is moved so it's closer to the back of the trunk with the sub firing towards the trunk resulting in the waves nearly being in phase with each other resulting in the best bass response.

Firing the subs/port into the cabin with the baffle of the box sealed off from the trunk results in a wave patter much the same as the last picture, directs all the sound/air into the cabin area and nearly eliminates that horrendous trunk rattle on high powered systems too.
Milhouse is 100% correct here I have seen it in action and it works !

Old 04-08-2011, 02:35 AM
5 Year Member

Well I have some testing to do

Old 04-08-2011, 05:10 AM

The only thing that sucks about firing subs back is you end up with more trunk rattles, but unless ur pushing 2000+ watts rms its nothing sound deadener and some well placed expanding foam can't handle.

Old 04-09-2011, 05:29 PM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

Thanks for reposting that sub aiming thing.. I know you posted it somewhere else but I couldn't find it when I wanted to re read it again one day.. What happens when you have subs facing up or down or even to the left or right does that cause even more cancellation.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:05 AM
5 Year Member

Looks like I'm going to have to send the alt back to DC. The screw/nut digs into the manifold so I can't put the power wire on. I'm tempted to just send it back and get my money back. So disappointed

Quick Reply: Anyone in SPL?