General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Anyone in SPL?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 05:29 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Anyone in SPL?

Hey fellas, I've been into car audio since I've had a license (four years or so lol) but recently started to get serious about it. Went to my first meca competition over the weekend and got 2nd place in AS2

I have a new goal to break a 150 w/in a year in the monte carlo. Does anyone else on here have experience in SPL with the monte carlo, if so will the 150 even be possible? I'm wanting to keep it all in the trunk, don't want to wall off anything. Any tips would be appreciated. New sub's, amp, alternator, and probably a head unit (I'm still running the stock deck lmao) will be things I upgrade in the future.

Here's a few pictures of what I'm working with:

If anyone has any questions just let me know.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:09 PM

Hey man I'll help you as much as I can. First thing I would change the woofers I had and spend a bit of money and get some monsters then it's just a matter of getting the right power to them. SPL is easy to shoot for just crank all the bass settings unless your worried about blowing a woofer, which is where buying high end gear comes into it. Take a look at my lumina in my albums let me know if this helps you out. What size amp do you have and what are your subs rated for?

Old 03-03-2011, 01:33 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2010
Monte Of The Month -- July 2013
IT HERTZ
5 Year Member

#1 Man congrats on the 2nd place!! I am sure it feels like a win for you !! (good job)
Yes you can I hit over 155 db with mine last year and am going to the ISACA north west regonals in may
I would say is sound deaden your hole trunk and trunk lid. I am running 2 layers and lizard skin in the wheel well
I would also suggest getting a high output alternator and I saw that on your to do list .

Old 03-03-2011, 06:05 PM

Over 150 in a monte trunk is definitely possible. Last show I went to I did 153 on a termlab with 2 Atomic ELE 12's and a Earthquake D3 running them.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:28 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

a good head unit will help out alot also

Old 03-04-2011, 05:39 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by BUDDZZ
Hey man I'll help you as much as I can. First thing I would change the woofers I had and spend a bit of money and get some monsters then it's just a matter of getting the right power to them. SPL is easy to shoot for just crank all the bass settings unless your worried about blowing a woofer, which is where buying high end gear comes into it. Take a look at my lumina in my albums let me know if this helps you out. What size amp do you have and what are your subs rated for?
The subs I have now are sundown 12's, they rms at 600. If you know anything about sundown audio you know they take way more than rated. Amp is a kicker 2500.1

Originally Posted by Blazed SS
#1 Man congrats on the 2nd place!! I am sure it feels like a win for you !! (good job)
Yes you can I hit over 155 db with mine last year and am going to the ISACA north west regonals in may
I would say is sound deaden your hole trunk and trunk lid. I am running 2 layers and lizard skin in the wheel well
I would also suggest getting a high output alternator and I saw that on your to do list .
Thanks bro! I was definitely happy when they called my name for 2nd place. And I only lost by a couple of db's.

So far I have plan to get a single 12" BTL with some upgrades, possibly a saz4500d, h/o alt from DC power, sound deaden the trunk, and a deck. Not necessarily in that order. Alt will probably be my next big purchase.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:42 PM
5 Year Member

Also for those that broke 150, what style boxes did you all use?

Old 03-04-2011, 08:06 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2010
Monte Of The Month -- July 2013
IT HERTZ
5 Year Member

5 cubic foot sealed
I am making my new box next week it will be a 6 cubic foot vented through the back deck and I am adding 2 8" focal subs in the rear deck also they will be in 1 cubic foot boxes also on eather side ov the 12" vent
Check out my photo bucket link on the old set up

Old 03-05-2011, 09:46 PM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

With an HO alt and a battery or 2, good layout and the other suggestions here yes its possible. My build is a semi SPL build, it was more for looks than all out SPL but im still curious to see what I will pull when im all done.

Feel free to search my photos of what ive done.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:10 PM
5 Year Member

Ordered a DC alt today, saved myself about 100 bucks (it's good to have connections). May hook up another battery, the 1 extra in the trunk is doing pretty good so far. Will build a new box possibly this weekend. Thinking we're going to try 3 4" aero ports shot to the right, subs facing toward the cab.

Will keep you all updated.

Quick Reply: Anyone in SPL?