General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

6th Gen ('00-'05): 2001 Monte Carlo LS Rust issues

Old 07-07-2018, 11:51 AM
Default 2001 Monte Carlo LS Rust issues

So I bought my Monte a couple weeks ago and just realized that It has 2 very bad rust spots (one is a 3 inch hole) on the back underside of the car. (I think it's called the impact bar?) Is this a significant load bearing part? If it's not too important i'd rather not have to pay to get it fixed, but then again, If it prevents my car from leaving the bumper behind on the highway, then maybe I should. Look at the pics. Thoughts?

Attached Thumbnails 2001 Monte Carlo LS Rust issues-20180707_123729.jpg   2001 Monte Carlo LS Rust issues-20180707_123742.jpg  
Old 07-12-2018, 10:33 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I've always called it the "impact bar". It's a bolt on part. So if you do need to replace it, buy a new one, rattle can paint it and bolt it on.

In Ohio, after a couple of years the entire bottom of those bars rot and look way worse then that. The bumper has lots of areas it's attached, odds are even if that rotted all away, the bumper is going to be fine (the bottom might just hang).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.