Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

what supporting mods needed for a 75 shot of dry nitrous?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 07:44 PM

I was actually reffering to some of the worlds fastest street cars. The guys who are budget oriented, and dont have endless pockets to rebuild there engines every pass.

For instance, currently the worlds fastest powered 7m Toyota Supra is running one of my wet kits (he was also the first import to win on PINKS). And he has been running my products religiously for three years with amazing results.

I kinda find your sum of things as a joke, because you have taken every aspect that I have proven multiple times and disregarded it. Both systems are equally capable of fire (which is your huge argument right? Dry systems cant cause a fire?).

But I guess that comes with the territory right? I feel like I have done a really good job explaining how BOTH systems are equally subject to a potential fire. Once again, it has NOTHING to do with the fuel solenoid, but I guess it doesent matter how many times I explain it to you, it still gets disregarded.

One thought to leave you with...

You said...
"Modern dry kits are safer and more effective when employed properly. I've never seen an engine fire on a car with a dry kit- I've personally seen half a dozen over the years on cars with wet kits."

Well here is some food for thought. If you saw for example 100 cars over the years running nitrous, and out of those 100 cars....only 10 were running dry kits, your half a dozen flamers doesent seem so bad does it? I guess what I am getting at is that statement is useless. For everey 10 guys, your lucky if 1 runs a dry setup. Just because your different than the rest, and you have had good results...that doesent meen its right, or safe...

You seem like a knowledgeable guy, and a basic dry kit with a small shot might be ok for you, but put that into the hands of a completely novice tuner, and you can appologize to them later for recommending it when they bring you a box full of parts.

A wet kit will always be more forgiving on the tune-up than a dry setup for a novice.
Both kits can start a fire.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:28 PM

For the record, I've never seen a dry kit cause an engine fire or explosion in person. I've actually never heard of a dry kit causing a fire or explosion, period.

Also, I sprayed 125 on my Mustang and am upping to a 100 shot on the 'Dirty here soon. It's all relative, but for street cars those are average sizes, not small.

That is all.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:27 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2009
2009 Monte Of The Year
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

bfurches, you seem to be very knowledgeable with nitrous kit give you props for that. not for agreement sake but i'm curious when you had the 04 ss how many shots you sprayed and how you do on the 1/4 mile? i know we have a local guy (10secondsomeday) he's on clubgp too. he ran 11.99 on stock motor. i don't know what other mods he have cuz he never reveal to anyone. i know the motor was stock at the time. i think he sprayed 125 plus shots and lot of tuning he knows what he's doing put it that way.

me personally i don't think i would spray not in the 3800 anyway that's just me tho. now a day most either run E85 or go turbo.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:38 PM

I know I'm a new guy here but I am going to throw in my extensive experience with dry systems.

I built a friend of mines V6 mustang 4.2l engine from the ground up and it was purpose built for nitrous, we are running a zex kit currently and with a larger injector and of course plugs and such most new dry systems are just as safe as a wet system to a point.
I have personally seen wet systems running 300 but never a dry system you'd be using a ridiculous size of injector to cover the ranges you would need.

With any new dry system you will be maxing out the stock injectors at 100 shot if not 75. I highly suggest anyone wanting to run a dry system upgrade to the next size injectors and tune for them as the car sits N/A I know with all Zex systems the "brain" as they call it will change your fuel ratio at WOT when spraying.

This is absolutely as safe as a wet 75 system, but if parts are bought from the correct sources is much cheaper. You will be very limited with the dry system but if your only looking for a small boost to eek out that extra few tenths in a bracket race or something similar it'll do the trick.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by silverbullitt
bfurches, you seem to be very knowledgeable with nitrous kit give you props for that. not for agreement sake but i'm curious when you had the 04 ss how many shots you sprayed and how you do on the 1/4 mile? i know we have a local guy (10secondsomeday) he's on clubgp too. he ran 11.99 on stock motor. i don't know what other mods he have cuz he never reveal to anyone. i know the motor was stock at the time. i think he sprayed 125 plus shots and lot of tuning he knows what he's doing put it that way.

me personally i don't think i would spray not in the 3800 anyway that's just me tho. now a day most either run E85 or go turbo.
Thanks for the props man. Best the car went on spray was 12.9 with the trans slipping (it was at a track rental and I had been hot lapping the car).

It was a really mild setup. I was only spraying a 75 shot on a 3.4 pulley. I had ebay headers, custom exhaust with SLP mufflers, custom CAI, and a tune-up with HP tuners. That particular day i was on c16 too so I didn't have to pull timing. Internally, motor was 100% stock.

I went through at least 8 bottles I would say before the car was totaled.

On my caprice, we have gone through 10 bottles this year so far just in tuning the car and playing with different timing/ jetting combos.

dowmace- you bring up an awsome point when referring to the HP limitations of a dry setup.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:17 AM

For future readers of this thread- I strongly encourage anyone still up in the air about using a wet or dry kit to do their own research. Hit a few other car forums where nitrous use is more prevalent and see what they use and recommend. Google search for stuff like "nitrous kit fire" and "nitrous backfire" or "nitrous engine fire"...there's lots of information out there- use it to make an educated decision.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by 03SS/00GSE/93LX
For future readers of this thread- I strongly encourage anyone still up in the air about using a wet or dry kit to do their own research. Hit a few other car forums where nitrous use is more prevalent and see what they use and recommend. Google search for stuff like "nitrous kit fire" and "nitrous backfire" or "nitrous engine fire"...there's lots of information out there- use it to make an educated decision.
...I couldn't agree more. The internet can be a really good tool, and by no means should this thread be your primary source of info. There are thousands of articles and threads regarding wet vs dry nitrous products. Call some of the industry leaders, talk to them. Speak with grassroots racers at the track, and see what they have to say.

Do your homework and spray safe!

Old 12-11-2012, 06:24 PM

so know that we got past the wet vs. dry discussion, one of the things suggested for any nitrous kit is that you pull the timing back some. so is it my understanding you can only spray with a tune of some sort. (i know alot of you guys are running hptuners) Is it poss. to adj timing with the scanguage? i havent seen one and it doesn;t appear to be that way so the next step would be either hypertech or a canned tune, but if you go woth the canned tune is there anyway to input ur about to use nitrous so your not constantly running around on retarded timing