Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Supporting the Terrorists

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 10:50 PM
5 Year Member
Default Supporting the Terrorists

I just posted this on my Myspace blog and realized how much time and effort I put into it and wanted to share it with each of you as my friends as something to consider.[/align][/align]I think I might also need to share this with more peoplejust to justify the last hour I spent writing it. [/align][/align]http://www.myspace.com/danielkessler
[/align][/align]My blog below:[/align][/align][/align]Supporting the Terrorists [/align][/align]
I just received an email a bit ago ripping on George Bush and the war in Iraq. I know this debate has been beaten to death, but for some reason I just can't let it go when someone doesn't support the war against terrorism and would sooner pull out.

Do these people want another 9/11?Do they not enjoy their freedom? Do they hate their own country that much?

Don't get me wrong, I'm well aware that this war is also about oil, but lets look at the facts in the last two presidencies. Under Clinton I can recall5 seperate, unanswered terrorist attacks against us: The first World Trade Center bombing in the early 90's, some Saudi Arabia embassy building that dealt with our air force, an East Africa Embassy bombing, the 1st failed attempt at the USS Cole, and the 2nd successful attack on the USS Cole. There may have been more, but I can't remember them off the top of my head.

Under the Bush administration - 0. They bombed the World Trade Center and we haven't had a direct assault since, or maybe I should say none that I can remember.

I agree we have lost quite a few troops in the war, you can't deny that, but lets put it in perspective. As of 4/5/07 there have been 3267 deaths total American deaths in Iraq counting troops and civilians since 3/19/03. (http://www.antiwar.com/casualties/) You can't deny that is alot of people no matter what, sure it is less than any other war we've fought in the 20th and 21st century, but it is still a small town that has been removed. When you consider my comparison though this will suddenly become an minute amount.

Now as I said I wanted to put this in perspective so I wanted to compare it so something popular and understandably controlable - Drunk Driving. I'll even go as far to also admit I couldn't get statistics for 2005, 2006, or 2007. Looking at the data collected from http://www.alcoholalert.comI was able to find that between 2001-2004 there were68,574 alcohol driving related fatalities. Not all of these were drivers or passengers, some were just victims in the wrong spot at the wrong time. But if we divide that by 4, we get 17,143.5/year.

Now the 2001-04 deaths of 68,574 occured within approximately the same time span the war has been going on. This means that for every person that has died in the war PROTECTING OUR FREEDOM (or oil...) 21 people have died due to drinking too much. Come again 1 person dies in the war helping us while 21 people die due to dumb drunks that are not intellegent enough to know they shouldn't drive.
I guess I would just like people to consider that, especially those that don't support the war but have no problem "having one for the road."

I don't want to sound like a hypocrit here as I've had a few drinks and driven when I shouldn't have and will freely admit it, but I'm also well aware of when I drink I need to take it very