Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Valve Sticking?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 03:29 AM
Default Valve Sticking?

So recently I started having a problem when I'm driving, and try to acclerate, my car will reach about 3000rpm, than just sit there, and not shift or nothing. The car feels like it is studdering, where it shakes back and forth. I let off the gas, and try to acclerate again, and same thing, but it reaches about 3300 or so. After doing this a couple of times, it seems to work itself out, and I'm able to shift normal and everything else. I noticed that if off the line, I start in 1st, "manually" shift to second, than drive, it seems to do not bad, and I can at least get above 3000rpm. But if I start out in drive or overdrive, it just won't shift or anything.

It only does this on start up, it won't randomly do it while i'm driving. It idles rough, and can't keep a constant idle, deeps down so far at times that it feels like its about to stall, than picks back up again.

I've also had it when i'm in any drive gear(1,2,d,o/d, and reverse), it idles at 1500rpm, and if in park or nuetral, it idles at 3500rpm. If I turn it off, and back on, its fine.

The only thing that I could really think of is a valve or something is sticking in my tranny. The fluid was supposedly changed about 5 months back, but I have no record of that, just the previous owners word on it. I was debating on doing another tranny flush, and adding some lucas into it, to try and break down anything left over, but i thought i'd get your guys opinion on it first.

I also considering a bad o2 sensor for my rough idle problem, but i can't see it causing my tranny not to shift.

Old 12-17-2007, 11:16 AM
Default RE: Valve Sticking?

take it in and have the cat. converter checked on it. sounds like how mine was acting there for a while when i first got it back from Germany.

no power
idel sucked
and woudl stumbel

if it still has the org. one on it this might be the issue they were knowen for pluging up

Old 12-17-2007, 01:03 PM

but would a plugged cat cause my tranny not to shift properly, and not allow my engine to go above certain rpm?

Old 12-17-2007, 11:44 PM

ina word, yes. But i would also think that you would get a SES code. Are you seeing anything?

Old 12-18-2007, 01:32 AM

That's the thing I don't have a check engine light coming on. I had one the first time it was idling at 1500/3500 rpm, but after the three starts it cleared itself and went away. Would the code still be kept in the system do you know?

Would a bad o2 sensor also throw a code?

I installed new spark plugs and what not about two weeks ago with my brother, would a loose wire, or something else be causing this problem too?