Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

twin turbo an 85 ss 355

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 08:55 PM
Default twin turbo an 85 ss 355

my buddy thinks its gonna be a cakewalk but im not so sure, weve got plans to make my 85 monte ss a twin turbo beast! right now its got a 355 and a 350 turbo trans, we plan on using 2 b-9 turbos ( i know not the best but still decent) and putting a 6 speed manual trans from a ws6 behind it, now like i said, he thinks the turbos are gonna be easy but i was wondering if anyone has done it and how, he said to get an air intake off of a vortec 350 or 4.3 and where they mount to the throttle body is where you can put the bolt down into the carb, i dunno, id have to look at it first and make sure it will work before i go and screw up the edlebrock im going to put on it, anyway im just askin if anyone has done it and how easy is it, thanks

Old 11-19-2007, 01:20 AM
Default RE: twin turbo an 85 ss 355

You will need a blow-through Carburetor made for superchargers/turbos. These carbs are rather expensive, but it would be a very cool project once done.It will not work right just using a carb hat/bonnet over a regular carb. Also the stock vortec plastic intakebox will not hold the pressure put out by a turbo, let alone 2 turbos. [8D]Do a google search for "blow through carburetor", and here's some info on carb bonnets: http://www.vs57.com/bonnets.htm

I did alot of research for a project like this, and I concluded that doing a TPI fuel injection swap first would actually be easier and more efficient. Hope this helps...

Old 11-19-2007, 10:00 AM

yeah i would also go mpfi b4 doing a turbo set up but that is just me a carb set up can work real good but you need the right parts
for some ideas look at some buick guys that turbo older regals that are carbed it works and they make power
i would get a edelbrock air gap intake and a carb made for boost i know that holley makes some and i know that gail banks makes kits to turbo sbc so maybe look there for ideas on parts
it will take some work to do but with the right planing it can be done

Old 11-20-2007, 09:19 PM

well hell yes thanks for the info guys ima look into it, right now im tryin to get it safe to drive, i had sears do a steering eval on it since its free and i was bored at work ( i work in the auto center) hah, anyway i need control arm bushings, ball joints, sway bar links, drivers outer tie rod and prolly repack the wheel bearings, and shocks, then itll actually be safe to drive, luckily i have another vehicle i can drive while i work on the monte, i found this site called sts turbo, good set up it looks like but 2g's more than i got right now, and it bolts up underneath the car, i dunno if the monte has room because of how low it sits, but its a decent size turbo

Old 11-20-2007, 11:19 PM

Yea those STS systems are remote turbo systems. They are cool, but way quite pricey. If you have the mechanical ability, you can save a lot of money building a turbo kit yourself.

Old 11-21-2007, 04:42 PM

well, i gurantee i got the ability to do it myself, especially if hes helpin cause hes got experience in it, he had a conquest that was turbo 4cyl that he did, he made it have too much boost and kept havin to get new turbos but ill make sure he dont do that to mine, i have a nother ? though, do i HAVE to have a blow through carb? my guess is yes but i figure all the turbo is gonna do is push air in, if its open already why would it hurt it? anyway, right now im more concerned with gettin the thing safe to drive and gettin the 6 speed and cam and intake on it, the turbo(s) can come later on if i decide i guess, honestly i dont think im good enough driver to have a car that fast yet, just the 6 speed will make it scream, then the carb cam and intake will give it another probly 50-60 hp so itll once again get a good boost off that, where would i buy one of those carb bonnets though?

Old 11-22-2007, 08:39 AM

dude... i'm not trying to hurt any feelins but you need to do alot more research on this build up. i could write a book on this one but here's the high points... first.. you need to know the compression of the 355. if its above 7:1 and im sure it is then you have significantlydropped the amount of boost any turbos can add without the addition of higher octane fuel. the heads need toflowa ton of air. power additors of any kind,..nitrous, blowers,etc... require a 20% increase in airflow right off the bat not to mention tailoring to your specific combo. as for a carb...YES you must have a blow thru carb andit will be custom tuned for your combo again. aregular holley or whatever doesnt stand a chance. the forced air will bendeverything in the carb and it will be worthless in just a few minutes after start up IF it would start on one in the first place. in most cases you need an open plenum intake not a dual.aftermarket dual intakes without porting will not flow what 2 turbos are gonna add.prolly best to port the open plenum one. now if getting the maximum out of what you are building doesnt matter you can skimp and it will prolly be pretty quik and fun butsolving all the issues willmake it a beast! this is a guess but if i were doing what you guys are talking bout doing i would have 5-10k in hand ready to spend. whats the point in spending a ton of cash on lackluster performance?i'd put a nitrous kit on it before i spent megabucks for some halfazz hp. its been done before but who knows who made thevarious adapters/brkts, etc.. there is a guy on youtube who has some short vids of his twin turbo ss... i would find him on there and ask for some ideas bout it.

Old 11-22-2007, 12:35 PM

http://www.bankspower.com/twin-turbo-products.cfm

get this and take all the guess work out of it !!

Old 11-22-2007, 02:28 PM

no feelings hurt monte, i understand what ur sayin, its just that on my budget i cant afford a $2k turbo kit and cant afford new heads or getting them ported or whatever, i make 600 every 2 weeks at sears, and i got bills to pay 2, im tryin to do stuff a little at a time but still be able to drive it if needed, i have another vehicle that i drive daily for gas milage but its nice now and then to take out the monte that gets 12 mpg, anyway its a stock rebuild basically, so its probly 8.5:1 compression, really im not a big fan of nos, everybody and there brother has that crap, yea it makes a lot of hp with the push of a button but still, its illegal on a daily driver, and it takes room out of the car, and i do plan on doing more research but honestly i think its just an idea and not something im going to go through with

Old 11-22-2007, 03:01 PM

hey maybe a supercharger would fit your buget better ?
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...0002_201502_-1
this is a nice street set up but its still 3 grand but its the hole kit i think bolt up and go !!

Quick Reply: twin turbo an 85 ss 355