Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Valve cover breather

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 10:52 PM
Default RE: Valve cover breather

hmm removed converters...hopefully u never get emissions tested but y not just get high flow cats

Old 08-29-2008, 11:34 PM

I think I will replace with high flow on the monte. No emissions test here. With my wrx I was running alot more boost and needed all the scavenging I could get. With the new high flow cats I don't see any reason to not run them. I don't think there is that much power if any to be gained at my current or near future horsepower levels.

This is what I love about this site in the short time I have been here. People can have a discussion about a topic. On other boards everyone attacks each others ideas.

Old 08-30-2008, 04:45 AM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2009
2009 Monte Of The Year
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

ORIGINAL: bumpin96monte

I always ran them on my Firebirds because of all of the blow buy in the throttle body. It would be coated with oil after running hard. There was never a difference performance wise on the dyno with the breather on or it stock. Just cleaner in my opinion. Never had an vacum problems with the pcv in those cases. Don't know if the monte is different or not.
If you're worried about the oil that gets in your intake through the pcv system, then just run a catch can. That still allows the benefits of the PCV system with practically no oil deposited in the intake.

I just think its retarded to disable a functioning PCV system to run a breather- although I've seen a lot of GP guys do it. I think its just because they don't understand the mechanics of it all, and just think it looks cool.
i use a breather for a reason. i have the 96-99 N* tb on my set up since the tb adaptor plate is blocking offthe pcv passage on mineand that's the only reason the breather is use.

{quote)hmm removed converters...hopefully u never get emissions tested but y not just get high flow cats {quote}

i passed the emission test 2 months ago btw. all they did was plug the scanner in the obd ll and that's it. i had the hi flow cat, but took it off cause i like all the ricer to hear me when i'm coming.

Old 08-30-2008, 07:49 AM

I am the type of guy that likes removing all of my emissions related items on my cars.
Me too usually- pcv is about the only one that I can't see a downside to, as long as you're catching the oil in a can. Its like having a free vac pump.

i use a breather for a reason. i have the 96-99 N* tb on my set up since the tb adaptor plate is blocking offthe pcv passage on mineand that's the only reason the breather is use.
That works too- thats the kindof stuff I was talking about- the only people who should use it are the people who did a mod that required blockoff of the pcv system.

Old 08-30-2008, 12:34 PM

kewl...i wouldat thought that woulda caused a failed emissions test...now im thinkin about it