Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Turbo monte current build has been demodded.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 09:24 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You can either send your current trans to him to build or you can buy one from him and pay core charge then get the core charge refunded once you send him your old one.

Old 08-23-2017, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by turbo monte
Im glad you like the videos, the cts-v is pretty nasty also lol. Thanks for the compliments

Not sure on price of whole gmr trans. The $3000 was just for chain and input shaft, no diff included. Tep can set you up with a reliable trans for around 400whp without gmr stuff, if you want over 400whp he can do it but you need to suly him with gmr parts.

The Cartuning kit is very nice but is a smaller turbo and smaller downpipe etc that the stattama or z7 kit. However if you tell Cartuning you can't a 3"dp with big turbo, etc he can do that for ya.
I def love getting those Youtube alerts.

Where is this (the whole trans being sold)? A facebook group? I'm more curious at this point. I don't think I'll aim that high but who knows.

Thanks John. I'm going to do a bit more reading on the subject (turbo) and then go from there. I was reading the plugging the PCV was necessary, was this only power levels such as yours and Greg's? Also, will I get leaks with the plastic upper intake? I know you went with L26 and then a crazy holden setup, did you get leaks with your plastic uim and at what power level?

Old 08-24-2017, 10:35 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Mac7504
I def love getting those Youtube alerts.

Where is this (the whole trans being sold)? A facebook group? I'm more curious at this point. I don't think I'll aim that high but who knows.

Thanks John. I'm going to do a bit more reading on the subject (turbo) and then go from there. I was reading the plugging the PCV was necessary, was this only power levels such as yours and Greg's? Also, will I get leaks with the plastic upper intake? I know you went with L26 and then a crazy holden setup, did you get leaks with your plastic uim and at what power level?
I ran the "upgraded" plastic intake for years under high boost and never had a problem with it. Even had some healthy backfires when I let off the gas and then immediately got back in it, kabooom. It still held up through out it's life. Eventually I converted to the metal UIM, more for peace of mind and the enhanced appearance of the highly polished coated UIM tying in with the other polished components never hurts when you pop the hood.

Old 08-26-2017, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Mac7504
How much we talking for the GMR trans? I've heard 10k+ being thrown around? Just curious what I'm looking at if I went that route.
Its impossible to quote what it would cost as the parts are discontinued. As such, the only way to get some of the parts are from buying 2nd hand (either new or used) so the price depends on what people are willing to let it go for.

I would strongly reccomend against ever spending $10k on a trans for these cars though if that is a real number, that's just insane.

I do remember seeing a couple different people working on a new 1" chain, but both seem to be in the testing phases. I'd imagine they won't be as strong as the GMR stuff, but at least it'll allow for more options.

The Cartuning kit seems very appealing to with mostly due to their intercooling option and correct me if I'm wrong but mounts up cleaner than ZZP's? If I went turbo, I for damn sure going to want some intercooling.
There are other options if youre concerned about intercooler fitment. You could just run meth injection to chemically intercool it (and boost your octane).

Old 08-26-2017, 01:01 PM
10 Year Member

The gmr trans was in a fb group a couple months back. I agree in the big picture $10k for a trans with gmr components is insane but when doing the breakdown sadly that's about average....

Gmr chain set=1500
Gmr input shaft=600
Gmr output shaft=500
Gmr torsen=1500
Now add the full rebuild of a trans with all clutch upgrades, valve body upgrades, pump shaft etc=2200
Plus the precision billet converter=1000

Now if you find gmr axle flanges that's another $500 and then to have custom axles built for it your looking around $1600.

A good solid trans does not come cheap.

Also I forgot, add shipping cost and labor to remove old and install new if you can not do so yourself .

Old 08-26-2017, 01:07 PM
10 Year Member

As far as the pcv and intake questions, the l26/l36 pcv system was never designed to see boost so it fails quite easily if alot of pressure is pushed the wrong way on the one way valve (pcv) this is why it's a great idea to plug it and went off the valve cover to a catch can to collect oil deposits.

The intake I know many that's ran the plastic one issue free. I also know people that cracked them, warped them, etc. The way I feel is if you have the extra cash go with a aluminum l26 upper and have the piece of mind it will not fail. Honestly though I doubt the plastic one would fail on ya especially lower boost.

Intercooling is a wonderful idea, do a nice air to air intercooler like cartunings or zzp kits have. Water/meth injection is great for supplimental cooling and octane boost but I would never use that as a sole intercooling practice on a street car.

Old 08-26-2017, 10:14 PM

I agree in the big picture $10k for a trans with gmr components is insane but when doing the breakdown sadly that's about average....
That is sad. IMO that's the #1 thing driving people away from this platform. I've seen way too many 'big dogs' in the 3800 game switch the something else after spending massive money on a trans just to have it come apart 6 months later, especially when that failure takes out a bunch of nice parts. With how easy it is to get 500+ these days, it's too bad the vendors havent come up with a reasonably priced trans that will hold up or a bolt in 4t80 or something.

A good solid *4T65* trans does not come cheap.
Fixed that, lol. It's just nuts compared to other RWD GM stuff. T56/4l80/glide etc etc can be built for tons more power reliably for that kind of money.

The downside is that is part of what will continue to keep any newcomers from seriously getting into this platform going forward. With these cars getting so cheap, it would be nice if there were budget oriented setups to get people really into racing, but its hard to justify when you can get into an LS platform for just a little more out of the gate.

Intercooling is a wonderful idea, do a nice air to air intercooler like cartunings or zzp kits have. Water/meth injection is great for supplimental cooling and octane boost but I would never use that as a sole intercooling practice on a street car.
Totally agree that an air to air is a better option if you don't mind the install. I wouldnt say that being meth dependent isn't ok for a street car though as lots of people do it.
IMO, relying on meth on a street car is no more crazy than L67 guys relying on water to air intercooling. Both ways you're relying on a single electric pump and if you're pushing the limits when that pump breaks, you'll toast the engine either way.

E85 would be another good alternative.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 08-27-2017 at 07:58 AM.
Old 08-26-2017, 10:31 PM
10 Year Member

Their is two different people working on prototype 1" chain set as we speak so something may happen soon. We can only hope anyway. I know one has been made and testing is starting if it hasn't started already. You are correct though, the trans is the limiting factor for us sadly. Even where I am at if I break gmr parts and can not get replacements I will probably cut my losses and partout myself.

The problem that's keeping many people away from wanting to mod these cars anymore is no one can justify spending 3k on a turbo kit and another 3k on a decent trans build for a car that's only worth 3k in a whole. I think this is more the issue then the actual price of the parts themselves.

There is differences on when a meth pump fails vs a ic pump, main difference is if the ic pump fails it will get hot quick but not instant and that will allow enough time for the pcm to adjust timing do to iat post ic getting hotter and hotter.

Where as if a meth pump fails you go from cool too hot instantly along with losing fuel octane ratio instantly and before the pcm can adjust you just made a grenade.

There is failsafes to wire in to help prevent this but it's still a gamble. Scares me Everytime because I. Spraying a ton of meth (two huge nozzels) starting at 9psi and if they fail at 26psi no matter what failsafe I have kiss that engine goodbye.

Old 09-22-2017, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02
I ran the "upgraded" plastic intake for years under high boost and never had a problem with it. Even had some healthy backfires when I let off the gas and then immediately got back in it, kabooom. It still held up through out it's life. Eventually I converted to the metal UIM, more for peace of mind and the enhanced appearance of the highly polished coated UIM tying in with the other polished components never hurts when you pop the hood.
Thanks for the reply Greg, not sure why these post didn't show in my usercp, thought you guys had forgotten about me..haha I'll def take the l26 uim into consideration when I move forward.

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
Its impossible to quote what it would cost as the parts are discontinued. As such, the only way to get some of the parts are from buying 2nd hand (either new or used) so the price depends on what people are willing to let it go for.

I would strongly reccomend against ever spending $10k on a trans for these cars though if that is a real number, that's just insane.

I do remember seeing a couple different people working on a new 1" chain, but both seem to be in the testing phases. I'd imagine they won't be as strong as the GMR stuff, but at least it'll allow for more options.

There are other options if youre concerned about intercooler fitment. You could just run meth injection to chemically intercool it (and boost your octane).
I would def run an intercooler, just don't really care for the idea of cutting or removing the bumper support to be honest. IIRC the ZZP air to air intercool with make you do this for install, also something about the hood latch but i could be mistaken.

ZZP had a 1inch going for a while but discontinued them, is Triple Edge the one developing one?

The gmr trans was in a fb group a couple months back. I agree in the big picture $10k for a trans with gmr components is insane but when doing the breakdown sadly that's about average....

Gmr chain set=1500
Gmr input shaft=600
Gmr output shaft=500
Gmr torsen=1500
Now add the full rebuild of a trans with all clutch upgrades, valve body upgrades, pump shaft etc=2200
Plus the precision billet converter=1000

Now if you find gmr axle flanges that's another $500 and then to have custom axles built for it your looking around $1600.

A good solid trans does not come cheap.

Also I forgot, add shipping cost and labor to remove old and install new if you can not do so yourself .
Yeah for the HP/TQ levels I'm looking at (350whp or so), I MAY be ok with a nice TEP build from what I gather, but I still have to get with him to discuss my options. It's going to be incredibly hard to source those GM parts not to mention the price. Thanks for the info John.

As far as the pcv and intake questions, the l26/l36 pcv system was never designed to see boost so it fails quite easily if alot of pressure is pushed the wrong way on the one way valve (pcv) this is why it's a great idea to plug it and went off the valve cover to a catch can to collect oil deposits.

The intake I know many that's ran the plastic one issue free. I also know people that cracked them, warped them, etc. The way I feel is if you have the extra cash go with a aluminum l26 upper and have the piece of mind it will not fail. Honestly though I doubt the plastic one would fail on ya especially lower boost.

At the lower power level I'm shooting for will a standard valve cover oil "breather" be ok or do all you guys run catch cans?

I still have to read up on what mods I've have to do to run an L25 uim.

With running a 9.4:1, I'd def want as much cooling as I can get to help avoid knock.

Their is two different people working on prototype 1" chain set as we speak so something may happen soon. We can only hope anyway. I know one has been made and testing is starting if it hasn't started already. You are correct though, the trans is the limiting factor for us sadly. Even where I am at if I break gmr parts and can not get replacements I will probably cut my losses and partout myself.

The problem that's keeping many people away from wanting to mod these cars anymore is no one can justify spending 3k on a turbo kit and another 3k on a decent trans build for a car that's only worth 3k in a whole. I think this is more the issue then the actual price of the parts themselves.

There is differences on when a meth pump fails vs a ic pump, main difference is if the ic pump fails it will get hot quick but not instant and that will allow enough time for the pcm to adjust timing do to iat post ic getting hotter and hotter.

Where as if a meth pump fails you go from cool too hot instantly along with losing fuel octane ratio instantly and before the pcm can adjust you just made a grenade.

There is failsafes to wire in to help prevent this but it's still a gamble. Scares me Everytime because I. Spraying a ton of meth (two huge nozzels) starting at 9psi and if they fail at 26psi no matter what failsafe I have kiss that engine goodbye.
Is it TEP?

3k would be a great price on a turbo kits, with intercooler and shipping I'm looking more at 5k. Cartuning does have special going on but that kit only comes with a T4 tubo and that's still runs $3,699. I'd want to add some options like
Pre-welded Cut Out RTR: $379.00 including Cut Out.
Cartuning’s Alcohol Injection System RTR : $249.00
3" Downpipe RTR : $499.00
Stainless Steel Tubular Exhaust Manifold Set RTR : $599.00
And maybe Ceramic Coating RTR : $249.00
Cartuning Performance

Not sure the T4 will get me where I want and I really wanted to run a Precision PT-61 Turbo but that kit starts at $3,499, not counting intercooler (1k) and and other options. Maybe I till pull the triggers when I get this coming years bonus as I'm in the middle of a house purchase currently.

Still tons to read up on because all along I was a SC guy, or thought I was, but you all sold me on best bang for the bucks is turbo.

Old 09-23-2017, 09:20 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

@Mac7504 - You really don't need any mods to run the L26 UIM. You can be bone stock and swap over to it. I'm lightly modded and I did the swap. Here is the info if it helps:
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/fw...c-heavy-48949/