Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Turbo Build Preperation

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
HOLY CRAP CHAD!!!

I need an update thread from you! lol

I still lurk every now and then....

Last couple months have been pretty good for the monte- I've got it taken apart back down to the short block right now- lots of work going into it.

Just spent another $2500 or so on more parts including a massive TB, masssive 1 of 2 IC, hacked up and reworked LIM, and some more overnight parts from Japan (ok, 3 week shipping parts from Australia... but its basically the same thing). Still looking for injectors, the group buy on cgp kinda fell apart....

Probably not gonna do an update thread for awhile- not much to look at with everything torn apart again...

Old 05-03-2012, 10:03 PM

Hey thanks man hope to get it all done this weekend the coating and hrm okay so for the maf I checked out the mini afc so your saying if I am going to use a L67 TB I can use my current maf in that? Or ill need to get a new L67 maf r they different? The guy from zzp said for my build comparing the two the 85mm maf would be a good idea best suited but I rly don't know, the good thing about the guy who does tunes in my local is once you've paid the large initial fee for his first tune all retunes and work hell do for free or for barely anything so I could deff get a professional tune work done for the maf I rly don't know enough about the maf I guess the whole purpose is that you can eventually max out the stock one yet I'm sure tones of people just keep their original mafs in use is there a serious advantage to upgrading to a larger maf with a internal AIT? A broader tune spectrum the zzp guy said

Last edited by MeanShwaMonte; 05-03-2012 at 10:05 PM. Reason: wanted to add more to it
Old 05-03-2012, 10:20 PM

The guy from zzp said for my build comparing the two the 85mm maf would be a good idea best suited but I rly don't know
You're talking almost $10k in parts in your first post- a 85mm MAF is a drop in the bucket compared to what you're planning on spending. I got the one I used to run on my old GTP off ebay for $25 (it was the same PN as my buddy's GTO). You could also swing by a local junkyard and look and see what LS engine based vehicles they have there.

once you've paid the large initial fee for his first tune all retunes and work hell do for free or for barely anything
The bad thing is, as far as tunes go- changing the MAF is a pretty big tune-changer for how cheap/simple a mod it is. Sure, you can drop in a pre-loaded 85mm MAF table and it'll be ok; but if you're paying money for a custom tune- it's kinda silly to spend a bunch of time getting your MAF table dialed in on a stock MAF, only to swap it later, and have to redo the MAF tuning section.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:32 AM

So your saying somewhat I can use my original L36 maf on the 99+ L67 tb I am buying? Without worry of future problems

Old 05-04-2012, 11:47 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I would put in a stock l67 maf and see if you Max it out. If u Max it out then get the afc and call it a day. Simplest thing to do IMO

Old 05-04-2012, 09:16 PM

So your saying somewhat I can use my original L36 maf on the 99+ L67 tb I am buying? Without worry of future problems
lol, what? You got that from my post?

You've got two options- run the L67 MAF (its likely gonna come with the new TB anyways- TBs are a dime a dozen)- and then buy a $110 AFC to scale it back down when you max it out; or buy a 85mm MAF (anywhere from $10 used at a junkyard, up to $150 for a complete aftermarket kit brand new).

it says have to block off original maf hole where does this get mounted
2 options. The free one would be to remove the stock MAF sensor- and use a hacksaw or dremel to cut the sensor tower off (its maybe 1/2" diameter plastic). Option 2 is to buy a blockoff plate: (or build one yourself out of sheet aluminum- its pretty simple)

ZZPerformance - MAF Block Off Plate #ZZ-MAFBOP

Without worry of future problems
The reason I mentioned changing MAFs in the future is because you really shouldn't get a custom tune with a plan to change MAFs in the short term. Otherwise, you're going to waste a bunch of time tuning a table that is going to be scrapped when you change MAFs. Pick which route you want to go from the start (stock MAF w/ an AFC or an 85mm)- and do that mod before you get your custom tune.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:18 PM

Ohhh I see what you mean man yea okay yea I didn't really clarify I thought u were talking about my original L36, and no my L67 TB I bought didn't come with a maf I got my tune from this guy about 3 years ago he brushes up my tune every year for free and any mod that will affect he will do it for me no worries, so I picked up a L67 maf today after work at the scrap its been used just to make sure it works got it for 50 not bad at all and yea I hear what your saying there's no need to be doing it two times in the near future so should I need the afc now too for the tune or that will just be if I even max it

Old 05-04-2012, 10:36 PM

no my L67 TB I bought didn't come with a maf
Then I'd just go with an 85mm. When my MAF died on my old GTP, even autozone wanted $150 for a new one (which is why I stuck my $25 85mm on there). If you're gonna spend $150, you could easily pick up even a brand new 85mm complete kit. If you're gonna go junkyard hunting for one- it is going to be just as easy and the same price to get an 85.

If you're set on using an L67 MAF, I'd ask some GP guys from your local club- maybe you could pick one up for free from someone who upgraded

so I picked up a L67 maf today after work at the scrap its been used just to make sure it works got it for 50 not bad at all
That sounds crazy high for an unknown condition used MAF. Even the local pick n pull, which is known for being on the high side (unless you go on sale days) is only $35 for a MAF (off any car)

I'd have bet you could've got one for much less off clubgp.

so should I need the afc now too for the tune or that will just be if I even max it
Didn't read through the whole thread again- did you install the turbo yet? If not, then you won't need an AFC at all now- you're not going to max it NA. If no turbo yet- how long until that goes on? Since the turbo is going to require a complete retune anyways- you could always stick the afc on it when you do the turbo install, and just tune it all at once then.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:44 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hey Bumpin, if I'm not mistaken, isn't the MAF used on the L67 and L36 on the 3800 Series II is the same? I know if I look up the AC Delco MAF on with the parts stores, it's the same part number for L36 and L67 in their catalogs. As I understand, the MAF table in the PCM is what makes the difference. I know the 3800 Series II from '97-'99 had one style and then a 2nd style from '00-present...

Old 05-05-2012, 12:51 PM

Hey Bumpin, if I'm not mistaken, isn't the MAF used on the L67 and L36 on the 3800 Series II is the same?
No clue honestly. I'd think you could compare part numbers on the units he has and see. Did the L36's change in 99 like the L67's did then?

Quick Reply: Turbo Build Preperation