Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Turbo Build Preperation

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 08:32 AM
Default Turbo Build Preperation

Hey guys very happy to say after saving for a while I am prepared to start collecting all my parts for my turbo build for my 2003 chevy monte ss L36 n/a for next season will be collecting all this year and over the winter while the car is put away, I really just want your guys opinions on the parts I'm going to be purchasing for my build and your view on certain parts what you believe I should be using and how you think my build will turn out in the end and long run thanks a lot guys I have good knowledge of turbos just too indecisive and less knowledgable on the individual parts.

-first off tranny got about 3g put aside for a brnd new triple edge high performance tranny with all optional upgrades including their top tourque convert, now I don't know a whole ton about TCs so any opinions there would help what I should be using rly for my build what others are using

-thrasher tranny cooler and some brand engine oil cooler

-finishing decisions between the Z3 and Z7 turbo kits from zzp is the z7 that much better then the z3? I plan on upgrading to the larger mm blowoff and wastegate good ideas?

-zzp high velocity stage 2 TB and airraid TB spacer

-oversized radiator?

-thrasher bilet fuel rails

-guess ill need new rocker arms and pushrods too, brand?

-injectors?

-T.O.G headers, preference downpipe?

I think that's it so last but not least I'd like to know your guys experience and or opinions on the L26 UIM swap I am seriously considering. I just notice there has not been much talk of or seeing people planning to do this lately, with all the money and work I'm looking for some definative answers results people have had if its worth it and how their cars have been running in the long run,

Thanks a lot guys look forward to hearing your views soon!

Old 04-26-2012, 08:58 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If you do rockers, you'll need springs. I would ask ZZP for their recommendation of ER Rockers or modified 1.9s.

NO HEADERS, turbos use the stock exhaust manifold in the rear, they give you a new crossover, and they come with their own downpipe. The only thing you might need is the downpipe if you want the TOG style one.

You can also get the ZZP Front Powerlog, that is helpful for turbo applications too.

HV3 if you don't do the UIM swap.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:58 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sounds like you have a decent start. I don't know that much about adding a turbo but from what I have read on here I think ZZP can and will be very helpful to your build. Good luck and keep us updated.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:39 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

From what I've heard, that airraid TB spacer is a waste of money.

As for the stage 2 HV TB, if you like to do things yourself, you can adapt a L67 TB like I did (and it's 1mm WIDER at the throat then the HV TB). Below is a link of what I did to adapt a L67 TB:
'04 Monte Carlo SS - L67 Throttle Body

Old 04-26-2012, 12:29 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

Make sure you do the l26 upper intake. The plastic one is a pretty big risk putting boost in it.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:51 PM

15 Year Member

Only if you over pressurize your system.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:06 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

Which is a pretty big risk considering you could have 15+ lbs of boost running through it, and considering sometimes they like to blow even without boost.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:52 PM

15 Year Member

A lot of people disable or ruin their PCV system and run lots of boost without venting another way.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:47 PM

Chibi - hey dude thanks for posting I've been following your posts for a long time dude you got to be one of the most helpful monte owners around haha every thread I search on multiple sites ur account I see answering everybody's questions haha thanks man I forgot to mention springs too an so I emailed zzp asking their oppinion on the rockers I know a buddy of mine who has the er's and likes them what do you prefer? And couldn't find the powerlog on zzp must be out of stock right now hopefully coming back soon what exactly is a front powerlog and benefits? And also yes I know of the downpipe and crossover I was just wondering if the tog downpipe would be better choice then the turbo supplied downpipe? And so I guess I don't know as much about headers as I thought so basically the rear headers are capped off but they remain there? Essentially couldn't u upgrade just the fronts? Idk how it works exactly.

Maniac- hey man yea I had also heard the waste rumors of the airraid spacer, I purchased it a few years ago have yet to put it on the car do you believe that the spacer will become a hinder on performance or be a complication? I have heard the risks of warpage. And also I have heard of the L67 TB adaption I don't know a ton about doing it tho it seems kind of complicated down you have to block off a couple lines or smthng? I would prefer to do this if its easier then I'm thinking it is do u prefer the L67 over the zzp tb?

Enzo- thanks man I've seen a ton of L36's turboed and still running the plastic uim it just seems like something I'd rly like to not risk I have seen some horror stories too I'd much rather do the work and time to install to the L26 although another thing I assume the swap being very full of complications idk why, in the long run how has ur car been since the swap I heard rumors of random stuff like terrible gas milage and random stuff idk if true

Old 04-26-2012, 09:39 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by MeanShwaMonte
Hey guys very happy to say after saving for a while I am prepared to start collecting all my parts for my turbo build for my 2003 chevy monte ss L36 n/a for next season will be collecting all this year and over the winter while the car is put away, I really just want your guys opinions on the parts I'm going to be purchasing for my build and your view on certain parts what you believe I should be using and how you think my build will turn out in the end and long run thanks a lot guys I have good knowledge of turbos just too indecisive and less knowledgable on the individual parts.

-first off tranny got about 3g put aside for a brnd new triple edge high performance tranny with all optional upgrades including their top tourque convert, now I don't know a whole ton about TCs so any opinions there would help what I should be using rly for my build what others are using

<b> i would say run a 3250 stall for alot of street driving or 3500 stall for more of a street pleasure use car </b>

-thrasher tranny cooler and some brand engine oil cooler

<b> just buy the biggest trans cooler from advance and install it (works the same and alot cheaper) oil cooler is not needed in my eyes </b>

-finishing decisions between the Z3 and Z7 turbo kits from zzp is the z7 that much better then the z3? I plan on upgrading to the larger mm blowoff and wastegate good ideas?

<b> z7 is a really nice kit because the parts from the z7 and the stattama kit are all interchangable, also check into the cartuning kit there a pretty nice kit as well (i got the cartuning kit) no matter what turbo kit you go with def intercool it! </b>

-zzp high velocity stage 2 TB and airraid TB spacer

<b> both are pretty much a waste of money, save this money for other mods. </b>

-oversized radiator?

<b> not needed just run a 180 degree thermostat </b>

-thrasher bilet fuel rails

<b> these would be for looks only so up to you </b>

-guess ill need new rocker arms and pushrods too, brand?

<b> you dont need rockers but will help with power, if you use stock rockers then pushrods will be fine also. i would recommend yella terra roller rockers but before i did that i would just cam it. cams make alot more power and sound mean. if you cam or do rockers you will need upgraded springs depending on how big of a cam/rockers depends on how stiff of springs </b>

-injectors?

<b> 42# on a stock engine with turbo kit, 65# with a cammed engine </b>

-T.O.G headers, preference downpipe?

<b> cant use heaaders with a turbo kit, you can run front and rear plogs with the z7 kit thou or cartuning performance makes a "header manifold" for there turbo kits. 2.5" dp is fine with stock engine but if u cam or rockers i would go 3". also i highly recommend a electric exhaust cutout for turbo cars they sound mean with them open, spool time is virtually none, and you get more power by dumping the exhaust so quick with no restrictions. </b>

I think that's it so last but not least I'd like to know your guys experience and or opinions on the L26 UIM swap I am seriously considering. I just notice there has not been much talk of or seeing people planning to do this lately, with all the money and work I'm looking for some definative answers results people have had if its worth it and how their cars have been running in the long run,

<b> YES! if you are planning to get into modding heavy with a turbo setup yes do the swap! its very simple and worth every penny for the precaution! only thing you need is a throttle body adabter plate (zzp sells them) and plug a hole in the l26 intake thats not used. it bolts to the lower intake no problem and rails fit fine. </b>

Thanks a lot guys look forward to hearing your views soon!
<b> you could consider heads but are not needed for a turbo build honestly. get an aeroforce scan gauge if not a dual set and also a boost gauge, there is pillar pods made specific for our cars.

possibly upgrade your fuel pump and do a fuel pump rewire from prj to be safe.

the "3 big wire" upgrade is a good idea as well.

voltage booster is also a good idea.

all poly engine mounts are a great idea so the engine isnt rocking and torqueing everything in there.

get a iron coil pack bracket "passenger side mount" off of a 97-03 sc grand prix because you WILL break the stock one on your car i guarantee it.

this is all i can think of at the moment lol </b>

Quick Reply: Turbo Build Preperation