Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Tuned PCM (Overkillmotorsports)

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 08:44 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Considering Will is doing the tune without the car, you have to expect to work some bugs out. The PCM is like the heart of your car (from a computer stand point) without it, nothing works. So considering you are giving your car a heart transplant, you need to work with it to make all function normally.

I don't care what tune you get, even a simple plug and play chip, you are more than likely going to have to deal with a check engine light or something of the sort. you're changing something that is not supposed to be changed, and your car is smart enough to know you messed with it. If you don't want to work out the bugs, then you should not get a tune.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by MAMONTE
I knew you'd love it.

I never got the CEL for running to lean. That might be something to get Will's opinion on. Also, Will told me he does not change the PCM for E-85, so I would not recommend running E85 anymore with this PCM, otherwise you are not getting the performance benefit, and that MIGHT be your to lean problem. But I honestly don't know.

As for the service traction, I am sorry if I mislead you...that did not go away on its own, I had to do a bunch of on/ off, wait crap with the ignition before that went away. It was a re-learn procedure that Mike (Chibi) gave me. Here is the re-learn I did to make the servcie trac light go away:

For those vehicles that use a BCM, the BCM can learn the resistance value of the existing key by using the relearn process. In order for the vehicle to start, the BCM (as well as the Passkey module in other vehicles) must identify the resistor pellet in the key, then the BCM sends a password to the PCM. If this password matches the password stored in the PCM, the system enables fuel delivery. So you can see that if either the BCM or PCM are replaced, a relearn procedure is necessary. This same relearn procedure can be used if an ignition key with a different resistance value is used to replace the existing key. Before beginning the relearn, make sure there is a fully charged battery in the vehicle, and both the BCM and PCM are properly powered up and in communication with each other. Now you’re ready to initiate the relearn procedure.

1. First, insert the ignition key and turn the ignition switch to the “On” position (Do not start the engine). Leave the switch on for 11 minutes. The security light may flash or be on steady during this 11 minute period. Make sure the light is no longer on or flashing before proceeding to #2 .
2. Turn the ignition switch off for 30 seconds.
3. Turn the ignition switch to the “On” position (as in step #1) for 11 minutes again.
4. Turn the ignition switch off for another 30 seconds.
5. Turn the ignition switch to the “On” position for 11 minutes a third time.
6. Turn the ignition switch off for 30 seconds one final time.
7. Turn the ignition switch to the “On” position one final time and wait 30 seconds.
8. Attempt to start the engine. If the engine starts and runs normally, the relearn is complete. If the engine does not start, check for trouble codes and address them before attempting the relearn procedure again.

Hope that helps you.

As for the shifts, I would give it a while, because that DID improve on it's own. They got much smoother, and concise after time. I also did a lot of "different" type of driving in those mile (easy, hard, WOT, hwy, city) trying to get my PCM to learn.

I hope all smooths out and all lights go away for you. Good Luck! Let me know if you have any questions!
Thanks unfortunately this did not make my service traction control light go away. I tried it once so far and i will try again tonight when i get home. I did not have a security light by the way, i had a security light when i first tried to start the car after the pcm install then my friend just turned the ignition in the on position and pumped the gas pedal about 5 times and it started right up.

EDIT: So Far my second attempt at this did not get rid of the service traction control light.
EDIT: After the second attempt seemed to not work, i tried clearing the codes... Started her up and no lights at all (so far). This was only in park for about 3 min and has not been driven yet so we will see. This is new news because when i tried clearing the codes right after installing the PCM the codes instantly came right back up, so this is a good thing but we shall see
EDIT: both check engine and service trac lights came on :c

Last edited by 06-montelt2; 08-25-2011 at 07:18 AM. Reason: Attemp # 2
Old 08-25-2011, 04:08 PM
Default Update

This morning i needed to re fill my tank so i decided to go ahead and use regular gas instead of the E-85 ive been using. Now the service traction control light went off after about 1/4th of a mile! Instantly when the traction control light went off my shifts became perfect. There was no delay in this, literally the moment the service traction control light went away my shifts became buttery smooth. So smooth infact that i dont think ive ever driven the car with the shifts being so smooth!!! Its amazing.

These are the steps i have followed. Wether any of them made a difference, i can surely say that swiching from E-85 to gas got rid of the service trac light and that light is why i had such terrible shifts!

The steps i took:
1. Bought the PCM from will
2. Installed it
3. Unlocked my car from anti theft mode by turning the key to the on position (not turning on the motor obviously) then pumping the gas pedal about 5 times
4. Test drove it, instantly receiving hard shifts and all sorts of lights such as Check engine codes for crankshaft position and engine too lean, also received service traction control message.
5. Scheduled an appointement to have a "Crankshaft position re-learn" done on the vehicle
6. Re-learn complete and no noticable improvements other then that code is now gone
7. Drove the car for about 200 miles
8. Attempted Mamonte's key realearning process of turning the key to the on position for 11 minutes, then off for 30 secs on for 11, then off for 30 secs, then on for 11min one last time, off for 30 secs then on for 30 secs then finally try to start the vehicle (I am not certian if it helped me in anyway, for my lights did not go away, i dont even know if i did it properly but this process also helps other things as well, good to look into)
9. Attempted to delete the codes
10. Both service traction control came back after about 1/4 mile followed by the running too lean CEL code roughly 20 miles later
11. This morning i filled up my tank with regular ol' gas (yes ive been using E-85 this whole damn time... and yes my model monte is indeed Flex Fuel however it was a free upgrade from Chevy back in 2006 when my dad bought it, of course he took the free job lol)
12. About 1/4 mile after adding regular gasoline the service traction control light went away and my ride has never been smoother. It feels like im driving my moms 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee where i was so amazed my the smoothness of the shifts that i almost s*** my self!

Only a few problems, i need to delete my CEL and see if it stay off. Will Did not remove the speed limiter. Thats all there is to the cons. The thing here is, i am not a mechanic nor do i have many years behind me working on any sort of vehicle. I am just a monte enthusiast and yes i like to do things my self. If you purchase something and plan on installing it your self when you have the same knowledge about vehicles as i do, it will surely end up problematic. So take your time and never throw in the towel. Always be prepared...

Personally, i love this tune. Mostly because of the shifts... If all this thing did was make my shifts buttery smooth i would be happy, but no theres more, everything Mamonte said it will do it does infact do! Performance is the firstmost obvious thing you will notice from this PCM. "wow" was all i could say when i first took off with it regardless of the poor shifts.

I hope this thread will help anyone who may be looking into buying a PCM from Will and please if you have any questions feel free to ask!

The most critical part of this upgrade has not been forgotten, i took my 0-60 timings right before the install and now that everything is all good and PCM installed and over with i will be sure to gather the new timings so please keep posted!

Old 08-26-2011, 08:02 AM

Hmmm i am very interested in this...just makes me nervous that i wount get it to start after the PCM is in and i cant get the anti theft to go away lol

Old 08-29-2011, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Montecarloguy07
Hmmm i am very interested in this...just makes me nervous that i wount get it to start after the PCM is in and i cant get the anti theft to go away lol
Like i said, it seemed very simple. All my friend did was turned the key in the on position, pumped the gas pedal about five time then tried to start it. Fired right up no problems at all! Other then the lights that were due to a required crankshaft relearn and using E-85 caused the service traction control light to appear somehow which is what caused my horrible shifting. Changing over to regular gasoline solved that problem completely.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:19 AM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL

will got ahold of me finally. looks like i might have a tune very shortly

Old 09-07-2011, 03:39 PM

Does anyone know how much it take to get your core charge? i sent it back on the 26th and i shot him an email last week, but no response. Im just worried he forgot about me :-(

Old 09-08-2011, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by netz111
Does anyone know how much it take to get your core charge? i sent it back on the 26th and i shot him an email last week, but no response. Im just worried he forgot about me :-(
I dont think he forgot about you. Have you tracked your package to see if it even got to him yet? It could take a very long time to send things to canada.

I still have yet to send mine in... If you dont mind me asking, about how much did it cost you to ship yours to Will?

Old 09-08-2011, 11:42 AM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL

Originally Posted by netz111
try to send another email. i have been in touch with will through email for the past week or so.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by 06-montelt2
Have you tracked your package to see if it even got to him yet?
They didnt let me add tracking number.

It could take a very long time to send things to canada.
Exactly two weeks before i got my core refund.

If you dont mind me asking, about how much did it cost you to ship yours to Will?
28 bucks. Next time ill probably go flat rate worldwide.

Quick Reply: Tuned PCM (Overkillmotorsports)