Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Tuned PCM (Overkillmotorsports)

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 10:30 AM
Default Tuned PCM (Overkillmotorsports)

So ive noticed that ChibiBlackSheep really likes the tune quality of the PCM's at getoverkilled.ca. I was wondering if anyone has ever used their PCM on a 3.5, or any other engine for that matter? Is there a noticable difference in performance? Will they help my monte run better now that ive installed my Intake and SLP catback?

Also the description states that it aids some shift problems in the tranny, has this magical pcm ever cured anybodies problems?

If i get a high enough reccomendation for this places tuning quality i will buy one next payday.

Every thought comment or suggestion is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 07-22-2011, 10:37 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

MAMonte has his 3.5L tuned by Overkill. Shoot him a PM (as he might NOT see this thread).

He can give you details all about his experience.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
MAMonte has his 3.5L tuned by Overkill. Shoot him a PM (as he might NOT see this thread).

He can give you details all about his experience.
I just sent him a PM. Just a question about tuning and/or pre tuned PCM's, does that ever get reset to factory standards or is a tune permenant? Like if my ECU ever gets reset will that reset the PCM tune?

Old 07-22-2011, 11:59 AM

15 Year Member

The PCM tune becomes the new default. It's a completely different flash for the stock. It should never "return to stock" unless someone physically flashes a new Stock file to the PCM.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:36 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

i have been thinking about an overkill tune also. trying to decide between overkill or trifecta tune. but i dont hear alot from ls4 owners about overkill so i am still undecided

Old 07-27-2011, 08:03 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

Here is the PM I sent to 06-montelt2 just so everyone can see my experience with the Overkill PCM:

I do have the PCM from Will at Overkill. I absolutely love the new PCM. It made a huge difference in the cars power and drivability. The largest change was probably noticed in the transmission. I had 137K on my Monte when I first installed the canned tuned PCM, and my transmission was starting to slip (these 4T65-E tranny’s are known to die from slipping, especially when the mileage gets high). After installing the new PCM on my Monte, my tranny slipping issues pretty much went away completely. The transmission shifts firm and accurate all the time. The change in downshift and upshift points made a HUGE difference in the drivability of the car, and helped a lot to get the power on the ground when you want it. Stock, the car used to down shift to 1st gear at a max speed of 35MPH, even though it upshifts from 1st under WOT at 58MPH. Now if I floor it at 44MPH or less, it will down shift to 1st gear and takes off like a rocket, then it slams second gear with a very quick shift and now redlines second gear at 6,300 RPM like 1st gear, taking you to 105 in 2nd gear. Stock, it shifted from second to third at 5,800 RPM, 98MPH. Also stock, I used to be able to get a down shift to 2nd up to 78MPH, now I can get a down shift to 2nd up to 88MPH. So if you are going 85, floor it, it will down shift from 4th to 2nd and takes off like a rocket.

I had it tuned for 87 octane because I didn’t want to permanently commit to premium gas. It runs perfect on 87 gas, and there is noticeable extra power being cranked out of the engine. I told Will about the Cold Air Inductions, CAI that I had and my Dual Magnaflow exhaust with smaller resonator too, so he made my tune take full advantage of my mods.
Installing the PCM was pretty easy; it’s basically just unplugging the old one, and plugging in the new one. However, it will throw a check engine light after installing the canned tune. This is because you need to have a crank position relearn done after the new tuned PCM is installed. I found a local shop that would do the crank position relearn for me, it was $89.99. After you get that done, all lights are off, and it runs better than new. I did notice that when I first installed the PCM, it seemed to run a little rough, and it seemed to lag when down shifting and up shifting. But after about 300 miles of driving, this went away. I know it does take some time for the computer to log driving dynamics and calibrate to your specific car. So I think after the 300 miles it had finally learned my driving style/ all my engine/ and tranny specs, and it calibrated accordingly. Because all of the rough running and lagged shifts went away as the new PCM learned itself to the car. Plus get the crank position relearn completed probably helped.
My gas mileage was unchanged. It did not go up as advertised, but I also didn’t go down…so more fun/ power for now MPG penalty can’t complain.
Another neat feature, it kicks the cooling fans on at lower temps then stock, it also keeps the cooling fans on for about a minute after turning off the car, to always keep the engine cooler.
Also, it automatically shuts off the A/C if its running anytime you accelerate of 1/3rd throttle. So if you are cruising with the A/C on, and go for a pass, it automatically turns off the A/C while your into the gas hard, then once you let up, it kicks the A/C back on. So you have that extra power when needed. (takes some getting used to in hot weather because you will notice the A/C go from cold to warm, then back to cold, but only if you are heavy on the gas pedal, never for more than a few seconds).
I hope this all helps, if you have any more questions; I am always more than willing to answer them. I know a lot about the 3.5L, and I’ve logged all 149,000 current miles on my Monte, trouble free pretty much. Oh yea, I’ve but 12K on the car since I installed my PCM, and it’s been totally rock solid, trouble free.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:36 AM

15 Year Member

I had NO IDEA about the AC thing. That's really neat!

Great response

Old 07-27-2011, 09:31 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

That A/C thing is pretty wild! I like it!

Old 07-27-2011, 09:35 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

That's some great info MAMonte.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:30 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL

thanks for the info

Quick Reply: Tuned PCM (Overkillmotorsports)