Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Tuned PCM (Overkillmotorsports)

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 06:53 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I don't think it had anything to do with it. You need the crank position relearn just so that your car can be taught the exact engine characteristics of your car. Will told me it would need a crank positon relearn before I even purchased his PCM.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:30 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL

i still havent got a reply

Old 08-12-2011, 08:37 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2014

Originally Posted by 06-montelt2
Could this have anything to do with the crank position relearn that you said needed to be done after installed the tuned PCM? Maybe the relearn was needed due to a bad crankshaft/camshaft position sensor?
I don't beleive you need a "Crank Case Relearn" every time you change or tune your PCM... I've had 2 tunes and after Will's I went to the dealer to have it done and was told it's not necessary unless it throws a code... No code, no need...

Old 08-22-2011, 09:09 AM

So i finally got the PCM this weekend! I installed it with a little help and it was a breeze! it did not start up right away for the car went into an anti theft mode! Simple fix my friend did was i believe he turned the car to the on position and pumped the gas about 5 times. Cranked right over afterwards... Just as mamonte described the engine threw a crankshaft position light and i did a crank position relearn and it went away. No noticable improvement from that other then the code going away. The shifts are improved but very hard up and downshifts which seems a bit discouraging. HOWEVER Mamonte did say this is exactly what happened to him and he was about ready to take out the new PCM. Then after about 300 miles he stated this all went away and shifts became smooth. I have a little while till i reach the 300 mark so i will re post then. One other thing is just as he mentioned that the service traction control light appears every time i start the car now and does not go away. He stated this went away after about the 300 mile mark.

One thing that Mamonte did not mention is that a CEL is on for the engine running too lean? Im wondering if this has anything to do with the E85 that i use? I emailed will and explained everything to him.

PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENTS ARE UNBELIEVEABLE!!! Super quick take offs and all benefits just as Mamonte described! I have yet to see if the speed limiter has been removed, obviously i plan on testing this feature in a safe environment. I right away noticed the fans are running more frequent, not because the engine is running too hot but the temperature for when the fans will kick in has been dropped due to the tune. Improvement or no? One fan also does keep running for about a minute after every time the motor is shut off, opinions?

I like it and i am satisfied with the improvements over all, but if it continues to shift this hard which im sure it will go away, im not sure what i would do at that poind but we will see in a few days.

Keep posted everyone!!

Old 08-22-2011, 09:32 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Just keep in talks with Will. He stands by his product, he'll make it right if you aren't happy I'm sure.

Keep your core until you are happy.

Old 08-22-2011, 05:08 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL

must have skipped the part about taking about 300 miles for it to relearn. That would take me a month or more to drive that much Will still has yet to answer any of my emails

Old 08-23-2011, 12:09 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

I knew you'd love it.

I never got the CEL for running to lean. That might be something to get Will's opinion on. Also, Will told me he does not change the PCM for E-85, so I would not recommend running E85 anymore with this PCM, otherwise you are not getting the performance benefit, and that MIGHT be your to lean problem. But I honestly don't know.

As for the service traction, I am sorry if I mislead you...that did not go away on its own, I had to do a bunch of on/ off, wait crap with the ignition before that went away. It was a re-learn procedure that Mike (Chibi) gave me. Here is the re-learn I did to make the servcie trac light go away:

For those vehicles that use a BCM, the BCM can learn the resistance value of the existing key by using the relearn process. In order for the vehicle to start, the BCM (as well as the Passkey module in other vehicles) must identify the resistor pellet in the key, then the BCM sends a password to the PCM. If this password matches the password stored in the PCM, the system enables fuel delivery. So you can see that if either the BCM or PCM are replaced, a relearn procedure is necessary. This same relearn procedure can be used if an ignition key with a different resistance value is used to replace the existing key. Before beginning the relearn, make sure there is a fully charged battery in the vehicle, and both the BCM and PCM are properly powered up and in communication with each other. Now you’re ready to initiate the relearn procedure.

1. First, insert the ignition key and turn the ignition switch to the “On” position (Do not start the engine). Leave the switch on for 11 minutes. The security light may flash or be on steady during this 11 minute period. Make sure the light is no longer on or flashing before proceeding to #2 .
2. Turn the ignition switch off for 30 seconds.
3. Turn the ignition switch to the “On” position (as in step #1) for 11 minutes again.
4. Turn the ignition switch off for another 30 seconds.
5. Turn the ignition switch to the “On” position for 11 minutes a third time.
6. Turn the ignition switch off for 30 seconds one final time.
7. Turn the ignition switch to the “On” position one final time and wait 30 seconds.
8. Attempt to start the engine. If the engine starts and runs normally, the relearn is complete. If the engine does not start, check for trouble codes and address them before attempting the relearn procedure again.

Hope that helps you.

As for the shifts, I would give it a while, because that DID improve on it's own. They got much smoother, and concise after time. I also did a lot of "different" type of driving in those mile (easy, hard, WOT, hwy, city) trying to get my PCM to learn.

I hope all smooths out and all lights go away for you. Good Luck! Let me know if you have any questions!

Old 08-23-2011, 08:14 PM

um now i am wiery that i cant jump in and enjoy the tune after install knowing my luck i wont beable to get it started after the swap.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:27 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2014

Originally Posted by monte07
um now i am wiery that i cant jump in and enjoy the tune after install knowing my luck i wont beable to get it started after the swap.
Yeah you can... However follow the procedure Mamonte laid out to the LETTER... I didn't and had to do it 3 times before mine came back to life... It's a real drag waiting that long... As for the harder shifting, that's true... Mine shifted very crisp (some may say hard) for the first little while (not sure how miles) and then softened, but still crisp... I may be of a different opinion here, but I liked the harder shifting... Still, way worth it... Good luck...

Old 08-24-2011, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by monte07
For me personally its the price you pay for a cheap but worthy tune. I can tell you right off the bat the performance has drastically increased. I gathered my 0-60 timings before the tune and now with a little patience and following the proper procedures and guidelines that can be found in this thread, you will eventually have a very strong completed tune for your vehicle. Patience and procedure are the keys to a successful tune in this case.

Quick Reply: Tuned PCM (Overkillmotorsports)