Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

tuned pcm a good idea??

Old 03-12-2010, 04:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default tuned pcm a good idea??

well im looking into the tuned pcm from milzy for my 3400 and i just want your guys opinions. now i know what it does limiters remover ect. i just want to know if its going to mess ANYTHING up, will i need any further mods to make it work, what kind of gains should i expect and most importantly what exactly should i get on it??> i mean what stage or custom? if custom, what should i customize about it?? one more thing should i keep my old one just in case or should i send it in for a core??

Old 03-12-2010, 05:06 PM

i just want to know if its going to mess ANYTHING up
If it messed anything up, would they be able to sell it? Obviously not- although people have received incorrect flashed pcms before from various vendors- it happens, mostly because its hard to check (ie you can't look at a pcm and tell what its flashed for). But 95% of the time the pcm will work just fine.

will i need any further mods to make it work
Nope.

what kind of gains should i expect
Not a whole lot- their base pcm ups the RPM a little and adds some timing- so you may pick up a little extra power from the timing (assuming that you have no KR/knock right now on your current octane of fuel).

and most importantly what exactly should i get on it??
Standard. You don't know what custom stuff you want done, and you don't have the heads/cam stage packages- so the stage 1 & 2 don't apply to you.

one more thing should i keep my old one just in case or should i send it in for a core??
Pay the core charge, and mail your stock pcm in for a core later. If you mail your pcm first- your car is useless until it comes back- and if you happen to be one of those 5% that gets a dud pcm back- you're screwed. Definitely keep your stocker just in case- then get your core money back when you send it in.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

do you think its worth the money to get it????

Old 03-13-2010, 01:27 PM

I would do some research and figure out what you wanted to tune, see if any of the pre-tuned pcm's have those features your looking for. If they dont get one customized to what you think you might like. Its hard to suggest how to tune something for somebody because everybody dosent like there car setup the same way. And I always keep my core's it's not worth the scrap money there willing to give u for it.

Old 03-13-2010, 02:22 PM

do you think its worth the money to get it????
It's up to you- and really depends what you're trying to get out of a new pcm. Doesn't seem like he really changes a whole lot, there is no adjustment of shift behavior outside of the shift points, and no fueling changes. Also- with the increased timing- are you going to have to run higher octane fuel to gain the power (ie if you have knock/KR now, turning the timing up won't help).