General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

good idea, bad idea?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 01:20 PM
Question good idea, bad idea?

Hi, I have a question that is rather broad, but in general as best as anyone willing to help can answer...is it a good idea to drive my 1997 Monte Carlo from MI to GA (about 1100 miles) if I get an oil change and make sure nothing MAJOR is wrong with it? It has a few squeaks and a little gas leak (which I'm hoping to fix right away), but the guy who I bought it from said he had put a new engine in it and its at about 130,000 miles now. There's a weird noise that sometimes occurs when I start it up, but only happens when I'm stopped, it sounds like the engine reving almost, it's loud then quiet, like its gonna die, but I'm not tapping the gas at all. Once I'm driving its fine. Is it stupid to take it on the road for that long, or should I feel ok about it? Thanks for any advice.
Jessica

Old 03-19-2009, 01:24 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

I would think it would be alright. Cars love the open road. You're better off cruising than driving it around town as far as engine wear is concerned. I would only be afraid of it breaking down when you're 500 miles into your trip and either direction is just as far.
Personally, if it is your only means, I'd do it.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:38 PM

yeah, that is my biggest fear, but I am following a few friends on the way down, not that that would help too much, it'd probably be cheaper to buy a new car than tow it back! I may just leave it here, but I'll be in Savannah for 2 months and I really want my car with me. I guess it would be smarter to leave it up here though, but I know of people who've gone cross country in an 82 and made it...hard call. Thank you for your opinion though. I'll probably just make sure nothing is seriously wrong with it and hope to God it's good to me.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:38 PM

id say do it! if the car seems to run fine, i dont see any harm. Get the leak taken care of and get a good maintenance checkup, and there shouldn't be a problem.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:44 PM
Photobucket

My step-dad was selling an old VW Baja Beetle. I couldn't tell you what year, but it was old. Anyways, it would NOT stay running. However, it was listed for sale and a guy from New York found out about it. He flew in and drove it back to NY. We never heard from the guy so I assume he's either dead or enjoying his Baja. lol Possibly both since that was quite a few years ago. lol

Last edited by RickAKATed10; 03-19-2009 at 03:12 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:05 PM

Yeah, I think I'll go for it. It'll be my first long road trip in which I'm driving, and quite a bonding experience between MC and me. I'll post on here when I get down there if I make it without a hitch, literally. That might help boost the confidence of fellow MC owners.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:08 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009

Originally Posted by yishea
Yeah, I think I'll go for it. It'll be my first long road trip in which I'm driving, and quite a bonding experience between MC and me. I'll post on here when I get down there if I make it without a hitch, literally. That might help boost the confidence of fellow MC owners.
definitely!! i drove from home to richmond (which is only 1/3 of your drive, around 450 miles or somewhere around there) last year and "tony" and i enjoyed each others company tremendously.

good luck on your trip and have FUN!!!!!

Old 03-19-2009, 03:12 PM
Photobucket

Yeah, the Monte is a great highway cruiser. It was made for it.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:27 PM

thanks for the moral support everyone! 'big red' (it's 1st nickname, since it's bright red with a black bra) and I will enjoy the adventure I'm sure!

Old 03-19-2009, 03:32 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Good luck, and you'll be fine!

Quick Reply: good idea, bad idea?