Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

transmission trouble :(

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 11:57 PM
Default transmission trouble :(

i have a 96 Z34 and the transmission has recently been acting up. It started one night i was driving over to a friends, the car was warmed up from driving it earlier. It started up fine and i put it in to OD and left, i traveled about 30m and stopped at the end of my driveway to pull out onto the road, and when i went to start to drive the engine revved up with no pull, so i stopped, put the car in park, got out and checked the tranny fluid and it showed fine, so i got back in and put it in neutral then reverse (reverse worked fine at the time) and then i put it into D to see if it would go but it wouldn't, and then i put it into 1st and it revved up to 1500 and jumped into gear, i proceeded down the road and put the car into OD at about 25-30 km/h and it drove fine, and then when i was coming up to a stop the car dropped out of gear when i was decelerating at about 20km/h. I came to a stop and put the car into first and this time when i took off it went smoothly, so i kept going like that till i got to my friends, and as i was leaving i tried it in D but it wouldn't go so i put it in first and this time it jumped into gear again. i did the whole process over again till i got home and then i got home and changed the tranny filter and fluid and it worked fine for a few days..

During all of this i had a real bad oil leak out of the valve seals, so i was planning on getting that fixed, but stupid napa kept back-ordering the seals so i had to improvise, (more on that in a bit)

After a few days the transmission started doing the same thing again so i decided i would take a look while i was replacing the seals, and as i was taking it all i part i noticed a vaccum line was broke, so i fixed that and i had it all together, oil leak was gone, and the transmission was working, problem solved? not quite...

After about a week, i ame to a stop sign and the car dropped out of gear again in drive and OD ONLY THIS TIME it wouldn't take off in first, i checked all the gears and the only one that was working was reverse, so i put it in reverse and it jumped really hard into reverse, so i stopped backing up and tried drive again and it took off normally, and i had no farther problems for a few days...

Then one day i was driving home when i came up to construction, and as i was coming to a stop the car dropped out of gear again and wouldn't go into any gear including reverse, so now im in the middle of construction and my car wont go, the flagger tells us to go, so i put the car into first and i rev it up a little bit and i can feel it pulling, so i put it up to 4k and it shuddered heavily into gear and i went through the construction and i kept going all the way home the way i had before, going into first at stops, then into drive again, and thats the way its been sense, only now it jumps into reverse very hard, and sometimes after its been sitting for a while it will take off in drive...

my initial plan was just to go get a new transmission, but from what im told you need to get the transmission off of a 3.4l to fit a 3.4l and they are hard to come by, so i was wondering if it could be something simpler than just replacing the whole thing :/ thanks for your feedback

Old 09-09-2009, 06:17 AM

Sounds like you need a trannie. Either rebuilt or used. The clutches inside are slipping. The same thing happened to my old Bonneville, it just one day out of the blue died

Old 09-09-2009, 03:05 PM

yeah thats what i was thinking, also, someone told me that i can take the transmission out of any car with the 4t60e transmission, just that i have to take the stall converter out of the transmission in my car and swap it with the one on the donor car, is that true?

Old 09-09-2009, 05:10 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

No I believe the gear ratios for the 3.4 transmissions are different than with other tranmissions behind different engines.