Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

throttle body spec question

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 11:49 PM
Default RE: throttle body spec question

While I'm nowhere near as experienced as phoenix, I believe the O2 sensor relies on a chemical reaction. If I am correct in that assumption, then cleaning the probe part of the 02 sensor could damage the part of the sensor that does the reading. They're rarely very expensive, and if you haven't already replaced it, it's a worthy expense. You'll probably get one that's a better quality than the OEM one, and get a warranty to boot. I replaced the one on my 95Beretta after a coil failed, and it helped greatly. Plus they are a pain in the **** to remove, I would rather just replace it than remove it to clean it, put it back in, only to find it started throwing codes, to remove it again to replace it.

Let us know!

Old 04-12-2007, 11:56 PM

Ok, I just found this description on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen_sensor

"An oxygen sensor is an electronic device that measures the proportion of oxygen (O2) in the gas or liquid being analyzed. The sensing element is usually made with a zirconium ceramic bulb coated on both sides with a thin layer of platinum and comes in both heated and unheated forms. The most common application is to measure the performance of internal combustion engines in automobiles and other vehicles."

Also, on your other question about that ebay 'chip' This is also from that same page onwikipedia:
"If modifications cause the mixture to run rich, then there will appear to be a slight increase in power, again at the risk of overheating and destroying the catalytic converter, and dramatically decreasing fuel economy while increasing emissions."

Old 04-13-2007, 12:05 AM

yeah I figured it would eff everything up, which is what Im hoping wont happen when I port and polish my TB. The maf hasnt thrown a code, but im hoping it it wont when I do the TB. If it does, I have my old MAF that I could throw back in there, so everythuing is cool. I found an 02 sensor on ebay for like 50$, and its a bosch which im told is much better than OEM.

Old 04-13-2007, 12:49 AM

Yeah, that doesn't surprise me. The one I got for the beretta was like 30$, but it was only a one wire jobber. Newer cars usually have more complicated ones, or heated ones that cost more. I've been considering replacing the one in my car just to see if it helps, but it's only got 24k miles right now so I highly doubt I'll see any real change. My next mod will undoubtedly be an amp for my sub system. I'm so aching for a good bass pounding.

After that who knows. I've been considering replacing the resonator with a Flowmaster piece to see what that does to the sound, then doing exhaust tips. I really want more sound, but from what I've been able to see the stock exhaust seems to be way better than my old LS was, so I'm doubting that I will see much improvements from exhaust mods, other than sound. Oh yeah, tips are definitely coming as well. just have to find the right ones, because ordering them is looking increasingly stupid when I could get them from Autozone if they would just restock the ones I want, lol.

Old 04-13-2007, 02:40 AM

the problems that can arise dont have to set a SES to cause damage to the engine. the factory allows for a given amount of engine detonation (knock) this is what will destroy the engine. the only way to know for sure is with a scaner that can read your fuel trims and knock sensor.

as for cleaning the O2. the design of them wont let you. and our OBD2 cars have heated 3 or 4 wire O2 sensors. i know mine it ranges from 80-150 depending on brand and quality of the sensor.

Old 04-13-2007, 10:52 AM

well it looks like Ill need a scanner/programmer. What is the best one they make for the 3400? I know you said ya did a lot of work on ur 3.4 so i figured ud know which ones would work on the 3400.

Old 04-13-2007, 12:24 PM

same tuner i have... they make one for your engine. the DHP powertuner. if you go to PFYC.com you can find it there

Old 04-13-2007, 03:36 PM

would you say its well worth it? I know you said it took ya a decent amount of time before ya figured the stuff out. If i mess up specs, does the auto-defualt option work, or am I screwed?