Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

4th Gen ('81-'88): Are these hoses supposed to be connected to something?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 03:08 PM
1 Year Member
Default Are these hoses supposed to be connected to something?

Long story short purchased a 87 Monte for the body and frame, but the engine runs and it drives but there is just hoses there that I have no idea if they are supposed to be connected to anything. Help is appreciated. My first time dealing with an engine older than 2000.

Name:  5rqJSmH.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  945.0 KB

Name:  0DozNOb.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  976.5 KB

Old 03-16-2015, 04:26 PM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Jake:
That appears to be the emissions stuff left over. When I get home and get into my chiltons manual, I will scan what I can find and let you know.

Old 03-16-2015, 05:03 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by P343
Jake:
That appears to be the emissions stuff left over. When I get home and get into my chiltons manual, I will scan what I can find and let you know.
Thanks so much. That would be insanely helpful. I am also wondering if you have ever come across a self starting monte? An issue that seems to have appeared today. The moment it receives power it starts right up on its own without the keys in the ignition. Pretty sure its either a bad starter or the ignition needs to be replaced. Opinions?

Old 03-16-2015, 05:57 PM

3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Default Hope this helps!!

Jake:
Ok what used to be on there was called a THERMAC air cleaner assembly. Or A thermostatic air cleaner. It basically regulated air temp that got to the carb. Someone left all the hoses when they took the assembly off.

Here is a link that looks to be right from the Chiltons manual ---->click | Repair Guides | Gasoline Engine Emission Controls | Thermostatic Air Cleaner (tac Or Thermac) | AutoZone.com I could not get mine to upload and still be readable Hope this helps!!
In your second pic, The place on the carb where that one hose is still connected may have to be blocked off with a cap of some sort if you have trouble with it running.
No I have never heard of a self starting Monte!! LOL Something in the system is causing a completed circuit once power is applied!! I would probably start with changing out the ignition.

Last edited by P343; 03-16-2015 at 06:01 PM.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:04 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by P343
Jake:
Ok what used to be on there was called a THERMAC air cleaner assembly. Or A thermostatic air cleaner. It basically regulated air temp that got to the carb. Someone left all the hoses when they took the assembly off.

Here is a link that looks to be right from the Chiltons manual ---->click | Repair Guides | Gasoline Engine Emission Controls | Thermostatic Air Cleaner (tac Or Thermac) | AutoZone.com I could not get mine to upload and still be readable Hope this helps!!
In your second pic, The place on the carb where that one hose is still connected may have to be blocked off with a cap of some sort if you have trouble with it running.
No I have never heard of a self starting Monte!! LOL Something in the system is causing a completed circuit once power is applied!! I would probably start with changing out the ignition.
Thanks so much for the information. Guess I will just rip that stuff out since it doesn't seem to be connected to anything. Ordered a new ignition and hope that fixes the issue. Thanks so much for the help.

Old 03-16-2015, 06:08 PM

3 Year Member
1 Year Member

You are more than welcome!!

Old 03-17-2015, 08:19 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Im going out on a limb here...

When the car "self starts" can you also hear the starter motor still running?
More than likely it is...

The bendix on the starter is welded(shorted) and causing an open circuit....
(Thus the "auto start}

It could also be a wire shorted (S) to the hot on the starter(B terminal) and jump starting the engine...

Either way its starter related...

I would pull the starter and replace the bendix.. pay special attention to where all the wires and the terminals there attached to.
Also be sure to when reassembling.. to use the spacers if it has any in the correct direction/position.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:51 AM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by STUMPMI
Im going out on a limb here...

When the car "self starts" can you also hear the starter motor still running?
More than likely it is...

The bendix on the starter is welded(shorted) and causing an open circuit....
(Thus the "auto start}

It could also be a wire shorted (S) to the hot on the starter(B terminal) and jump starting the engine...

Either way its starter related...

I would pull the starter and replace the bendix.. pay special attention to where all the wires and the terminals there attached to.
Also be sure to when reassembling.. to use the spacers if it has any in the correct direction/position.
Thanks so much for the help. Any chance you can verify my account? I can't seem to resend the verification email. Guess will be ordering a new starter.