Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Temp gauge and fan running

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 11:21 AM
Default Temp gauge and fan running

Can some help me with this problem

Old 11-24-2010, 07:48 AM

could you explain the problem?

Old 11-24-2010, 09:51 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

X2

So far all you've told us is that you have a temp gauge and your fan is running. It's difficult to help diagnose with so little information. What we need to know is, do you hear any sounds from the engine bay, how's your coolant level, do you get any puddles under your car when you've parked it somewhere?

Most importantly, we need to know what you drive (year, make, model, trim). Once you've given us that info, we will be happy to help.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:17 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by zipper
X2

So far all you've told us is that you have a temp gauge and your fan is running. It's difficult to help diagnose with so little information. What we need to know is, do you hear any sounds from the engine bay, how's your coolant level, do you get any puddles under your car when you've parked it somewhere?

Most importantly, we need to know what you drive (year, make, model, trim). Once you've given us that info, we will be happy to help.
3X

Don't forget the symptoms, such as what conditions are yielding what results. You can't go wrong with providing more info.

Old 11-26-2010, 12:52 AM

IT IS A 2000 MONTE SS heat is good levels are fine temp gauge while on is in off position radiator fan keeps running after ignition is turned off till battery goes dead. I have also tried turning the ignition off and on multiple times then the fan did finaly stop

JR

Old 11-26-2010, 02:20 AM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

Try replacing your thermostat, its most likely your problem.

Old 11-26-2010, 07:44 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by JWCCR
IT IS A 2000 MONTE SS heat is good levels are fine temp gauge while on is in off position radiator fan keeps running after ignition is turned off till battery goes dead. I have also tried turning the ignition off and on multiple times then the fan did finaly stop

JR
OK, so after you've taken the car for a drive (say for 15 minutes or longer), the temp gauge never changes, it looks the same as when you started the car.

Enzo has a good point. If the thermostat is stuck wide open, the car will never get up to proper operating temp. Usually the temp gauge will move a little, but not much. After you drive the car for 15 minutes or longer, it should be up to operating temp. Turn the heat on full blast. If it's not HOT (usually it doesn't even classify as warm if the T-stat is stuck open), you have a bad T-stat. That's quick, easy, cheap to fix.

If what I described above does not hold true (the HVAC is blowing nice hot air), then look into this:
1 - when you turn on the car, watch all the gauges. The needles for all of them should go from one side to the other and finally rest at their correct readings. This would tell me that the gauges "should" be working.
2 - If the needle for the temp gauge does travel as described, if possible, I'd get a hold of someone with a car scanner that can provide you the data the car computer is receiving. Have it plugged in, go for a ride and see what the car's computer believes the car's temp to be. My suspicion is that the car's computer is receiving no data about the temperature. If this is the case, you may want to replace the coolant temp sensor (I believe it is screwed into the lower intake, below the thermostat).

The fan constantly running I think may be the car's fail safe to help keep it from overheating.

Hope this is of some help.

Last edited by The_Maniac; 11-26-2010 at 07:50 AM.
Old 11-27-2010, 02:38 AM

Thanks for the help after Removiing the plastic engine cover it appears that there has been some rodent activity. will investigate further and keep you all posted. Also the fuel gauge goes wacky when it gets ro about half a tank My temporay solution is to reset trip meter and fuel used on the info display
Regards
JWCCR

Old 11-27-2010, 02:16 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

It really could be the coolant temp sensor. The default reading when the sensor isn't working is about -38* which would make it so that the needle is all the way down and never moves. Check the wiring to the sensor too.

Old 11-29-2010, 01:27 AM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Enzo354
Try replacing your thermostat, its most likely your problem.
Its $8 and probably needs to be replaced anyway.