Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

CHeck Engine and Temp Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 06:23 AM
Default CHeck Engine and Temp Gauge

This morning my Check engine light came on. I then noticed that the Temp gauge was not reading anything. (all the way to the bottom) I would suspect a coolent problem of some sort but isnt there guages for Low coolent? Any thoughts?

Mark

Old 09-12-2007, 09:17 AM
Default RE: CHeck Engine and Temp Gauge

Go to AutoZone and have them scan it and give you the OBD code. None of us can really help until you figure out WHY your light came on. Thats the beauty of computers on your car.

-Keegan

Old 09-12-2007, 03:05 PM

Or buy you own scanner and put in in the center console like I do. They have some decent ones at Walmart and various stores for between 70-100 bucks.

Old 09-12-2007, 03:08 PM

OR buy an Aeroforce Scanner like I did

Old 12-06-2007, 10:39 PM

hey i had the exact problem, mine i also heard the cooling fans running. so i know it is the thermastat. it is staying hung open. and any coolant problem like reading
below zero will make the computer set a code . trust me it is the termastat.

Old 12-06-2007, 11:23 PM

lol alotta ppl with this problem it seems...and yah the tstat bein stuck open will cause ur check engine light to come on if u replace it and the light is still on and ur gauge still reads nuttin then replace the cooling temp sensor

Old 12-06-2007, 11:37 PM

if it came on when you first started your car i would not think it's the thermostat.

if it came on after the car had been running for some time, but the gauge was well below normal operating temp, or if the car will not reach or stay at normal temp while driving on the highway, i would suspect the thermostat, assuming the coolant level is full.

either way, i'd atleast have the code(s) read somewhere before any repairs

Old 12-07-2007, 12:14 AM

I have this same problem as well and it has been on going for about year. If yours is like mine then the code reader will tell you that it is the t-stat or coolant sensor. I replaced both of them and fushed the coolant in the spring and thought everything was great. But then this winter when the temp outside got below 40 degrees the samething kept happening, same code, and fans running. So if you figure it out do let me know cuz it is driving me crazy.

Old 12-07-2007, 04:23 PM

hmm i would open the housing and just make sure the t stat isnt stuck...did u replace the sensor as well?

Old 12-07-2007, 04:28 PM

hey kweef are you talking to me? Cuz ya I replaced the sensor aswell.

Quick Reply: CHeck Engine and Temp Gauge