Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Supercharger for 1999 LS

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 06:56 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

RSM did make a supercharger for the 3400 but ive heard it was crap. They dont make it anymore. Actually, I think RSM is out of business.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by JJsRYD
welcome to the forum man. I'm in the same boat as you are. I have a 3.1 and want more performance out of it. Problem is, is that other then dropping in an L67 ( 3800 SuperCharged ), your going to be stuck with limited performance.
Do you know an estimate of having a garage order the parts and do it. Also how much will have to be changed under the hood to fit the engine? Thanks in advance.

Old 06-26-2009, 04:20 PM

Do you know an estimate of having a garage order the parts and do it. Also how much will have to be changed under the hood to fit the engine? Thanks in advance.
Far too much. The only place I know that has a quote online for the exact job is here:

http://www.milzymotorsports.com/miva...ode=L67S9599LS

Thats ~$5000- probably double what the car is worth if its a 99 LS.

IMO, the only way an L67 swap is even worth it money wise is if you source the parts yourself and do the labor yourself (or if you have a friend that is a mechanic that will do it as a favor). It can easily be done for ~$1500 now, and I really think $1000 is possible if you look hard enough for deals- doing all your own labor of course.

If you're just going to pay a shop to do it all, and source all the stuff- you'll easily end up at ~$5k as posted above- at which point, IMO you'd be better off selling your car, taking the extra $5k and buying a grand prix GTP that already has the L67. That way you'll have stock reliabililty-and if you need service done in the future, they won't charge you to fix a custom swapped vehicle, they'll charge it like its a normal car.

As far as what all is involved, I did do a write up maybe 6 months or so after I did mine, this should give you a pretty good idea of what all is involved:

http://mymonte.com/discussion/index.php?showtopic=23142

Its actually an extremely easy swap- the L67 is 90% the same engine as the L36 (NA 3800 that came in the 98-99 Z34)- hence why you always hear people mention doing an L67 top swap to their L36. Electrically, the L67 and L36 are 99.9% the same, so the same harness can practically be used to run both.

So, it bolts right in to a 5th gen monte, and using a wiring harness from a 98-99 3800, it plugs in almost completely too (you do need to buy a ~$30 adaptor harness for the two plugs that are different). The only oddball thing about the whole swap is that the passenger side axle will need to be custom made; but its something anyone can do themselves- but it is otherwise a nearly compeltely bolt in / plug in adventure.

I'm not trying to downplay the difficulty of changing engines/transmissions though, if you've never done it before- it is a good deal of work; I'm just saying that its virtually no different if you blew your 3100 and dropped another one in- than it is to drop a L67 in.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:28 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

The shop quoted me at 5K JUST for labor. I would have to come up with the parts on my own. Then he turns around and said that he only does simple R&R.

If i had a place to do it and another car, i would do myself. I have the know-how (I'm from a family of mechanics ) and would love to bust my knuckles again. But since i live in an Apt complex, it will have to live the rest of its life with a 3100.

Old 06-27-2009, 08:21 PM

The shop quoted me at 5K JUST for labor. I would have to come up with the parts on my own.
Totally normal, shops who don't understand the exact process of the swap think its gonna be some crazy custom project (which some do turn it into that because they try building a custom wiring harness, etc)- and they charge accordingly. The worst thing is, when something does go wrong- I've seen a lot of people get screwed paying steep repair bills because of the same thing.

But since i live in an Apt complex, it will have to live the rest of its life with a 3100.
I did my swap while I was living in an apartment too. Went and got the engine/trans/etc from NY in the trunk of my impala (could be done with your monte too); built the engine in the living room; borrowed a buddy's pickup truck and a local friend's garage for a couple weeks- and back to life as normal at the apartment. We actually had some of the local performance guys do engine swaps in their apartment parking lots (mine was too strict on "no car repairs"). There's always ways around stuff

edit- didn't realize I never posted the story on these forums, I'll have to make a thread and do some copy/pasting.