Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

95 3.1 Q's

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 07:00 AM
Default 95 3.1 Q's

Hi there...

I recently purchased a 95 Monte LS...It's been a great car and ran strong until today...The altenator went on her as I was driving to work and I'm about to go replace it. I should be able to handle it...Looks like 2 bolts and it's in a convienient spot to work on.

Heres my Questions for you guys...

1) Any tips or tricks on this particular repair?

2) The AC doesn't work which isnt a big deal, but can I get a different belt and bypass the AC unit?

many thanks from a new member and Monty lover.

Old 06-28-2009, 11:23 AM

I would look into replacing the AC compressor(which most likely went out) and keeping the same belt. Not sure, but I would think it could mess up the timing w/o going that extra loop.

The alternator is simple enough, I believe you can find an AC Delco one new for under $150.

Old 06-28-2009, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by EchoMonte95
Hi there...

I recently purchased a 95 Monte LS...It's been a great car and ran strong until today...The altenator went on her as I was driving to work and I'm about to go replace it. I should be able to handle it...Looks like 2 bolts and it's in a convienient spot to work on.

Heres my Questions for you guys...

1) Any tips or tricks on this particular repair?

2) The AC doesn't work which isnt a big deal, but can I get a different belt and bypass the AC unit?

many thanks from a new member and Monty lover.
you should be able to remove the AC unit and fill with a bypass pulley like the image provided below.
if i had to give price, i would say 50- 75 bucks shipped..

Attached Thumbnails 95 3.1 Q's-bypass-pulley.jpg  
Old 06-28-2009, 02:13 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

There is no real need to bypass the AC compressor or replace it with another pulley. When the AC isnt on. the compressor doesnt actually spin, just the pulley on the front of it. There is no real benefit from replacing it unless you were looking to remove the entire AC system. Just leave it until you decide to replace the compressor.

Old 06-28-2009, 04:19 PM

Thanks guys...

I'm just going to leave the belt as is...I pulled the old altenator out and just have to grab a new one or I might just scrapyard it. Thanks again for the help!!

May I just say that whoever designed the battery placement was a total idiot !!!