Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Slippage btwn 2nd and 3rd

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 11:35 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Slippage btwn 2nd and 3rd

Does anyone in the N. Jersey, Bergen County, have an idea of what the cost of Trans service? It seems like at 30 MPH it shifts to 3rd then slips back to 2nd until about 43 MPH then shifts to 3rd. At 70 MPH, sometimes it seems like the engine is reving about 300 rpm higher than expected. I topped of the trans fluid a couple of days ago But with not positive results.
Because It's the trans I know It's gonna cost me a Big Buck. So I need to put some $$$ away to get this fixed. Any general ideas on cost would be helpful.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:43 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

Expect to pay between $1200.00 to $1600.00...
dependingon what needs to be replaced as well as where you go...

Old 06-06-2013, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by JC Colon`
Does anyone in the N. Jersey, Bergen County, have an idea of what the cost of Trans service? It seems like at 30 MPH it shifts to 3rd then slips back to 2nd until about 43 MPH then shifts to 3rd. At 70 MPH, sometimes it seems like the engine is reving about 300 rpm higher than expected. I topped of the trans fluid a couple of days ago But with not positive results.
Because It's the trans I know It's gonna cost me a Big Buck. So I need to put some $$$ away to get this fixed. Any general ideas on cost would be helpful.
I live in Morris County, and I have similar trans issues. We need to get together or something!!

Old 06-07-2013, 05:23 AM
5 Year Member

Stunpi, Thanks, that is about what I was expecting. I may do a junkyard search to see if I can find one worth having a custom rebuild or upgrade.
Dubstepticon, looks lIke we have Twins with slightly different attitudes! Lol. Would be great to get together, maybe we can team up on the evil transmission monsters and find a solution that is less costly for us both. I heard there is an Upgraded trans for the 6th Gen that makes it stronger, better faster.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:06 PM

So JC we have the same year and everything! Is our color officially "Competition Yellow"? Also, if there are better alternatives with upgraded transmissions, then I'd be down to look into them.

Old 06-07-2013, 04:44 PM

One thing you could do is change the trans yourself and rebuild it. When I had my 96 thunderbird I ran into the same issue. I took the car to my girlfriends place and me, my dad, and her dad got it ripped out and then every day after school (back when I was in school) I would go over and her dad and I got everything taken apart and put back together. You should be able to just buy a rebuild kit for about $200 a new torque converter for about $200-$300. And that is about all you need other then some torque wrenches if you don't have any and maybe a few tools if you don't have them (you can just pick up some el cheapo tools from harbor freight) and other then that maybe few long nights of pulling things out and putting it back together. You should also be able to find a book that literally walks you from step to step. I don't remember the name of the book that I got for my thunderbird. I picked it up at a transmission place where I got my rebuild kit and torque converter. It took me a fairly solid day of pulling out my trans, now granted my trans in my thunderbird is the same trans that is in your ford f150's. So it is a huge trans, but yea it took a pretty solid day of getting it out then it took about 2 and a half days of taking it apart and putting it back together. And this is with me only being able to work on it from like 3pm to 8pm. So a solid weekend and it could easily be taken apart and put back together. And then it took about a day to get it back in the car, again my trans in my thunderbird was massive. So that was the hardest part, we had to build some kind of crazy rigging to get it up high enough to bolt it in. And I have to say, when we finished I was damn proud of myself. I say this all the time, if you have an opportunity to rebuild a trans or at least see the insides of one, it is really really awesome. Anyway, I hope this helps.

Old 06-08-2013, 06:44 AM
5 Year Member

Dubs, same year and color. There are 3 GM Yellows for our year. Yellow, which is like a canary yellow, Competition Yellow, close to ours But not exact, then Competition/Competition Yellow, ours. I found it on Pepboys wheels and tires sight when I was looking for rims. You can go to the sight, pick your year , make, model and color. It give you a pic of your car then let's you try rims from 16" to 20". So you can see what they look like on your car before you buy them. Pretty Kool!
I would like to pull, rebuild, and re-install my trans. But I park on the street and have alternate side parking. And I have not transportation to work if my car is down. Since I work in Orange County NY. And although I have most of the tools I would need, I would rather have it done by a shop. They can pull it again if it no worky right. I would be too frustrated.
I think I am gonna put a new filter in first. I noticed that if I punch then let go of the gas, then throttle normally it stays in the right gear. And my trans fluid is dark. My YelloJAC has 170,000 miles on it and it was not loved by it's Previous owner. But it has come a long way in the year of my ownership.