Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Rebuild Engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 03:40 PM
Default RE: Rebuild Engine

But as it stands, my uncle is paying for it as a graduation present.
I'm confused- its less work to swap head gaskets than it is to swap engines?

If you're talking paying for a new long block and labor to install it- I bet that would cost more than the whole car, and you'd be better off selling it off or trading it on something else.

camshaft sensor is either bad, or the camshaft itself is going too...
I highly doubt a roller cam is going bad. The sensor maybe- the cam itself, doubt it.

And I have a bad experience with used engines which is why I'm hesitant... unless I can get a 3.4 or 3.8 in it... transmission are the same for them just the bell housing is different, correct?
Like I said above- if your bottom end is fine, there is no sense in paying to replace it- it just doesn't make any sense. Those engines aren't known to have bottom end problems, so don't even mess with it.

Yes, you can put a 3.8 or 3.4 dohc in there- but if you're strapped for cash and just want to get it running right again- maybe you should just look into fixing the few problems yours had. Plus, I thought you didn't like used engines? You'd be doing the same thing doing another used 3100 or a used 3.4 dohc or 3.8.

Old 03-01-2008, 06:24 PM

i would get a low miles oo+3100 or a 3400 it bolts right up every electric connection is the same just a little tuning involved and you gain 30-40 hp with good reliablity
or go a little bit more involved and go 3800 you will have to change ecu and wireing harness and other things
but stay with the pushrod motor what ever you do !

Old 03-04-2008, 06:16 PM

Ok, So I've settled on having a shop just clean and replace putting in a gasket kit. He said they've been having issues with Felpro so there is another company that has better gaskets for like just a little bit more...It was only $1,085... and then whatever the machine shop needs to do to the heads to correct them.

Now when I got the car, the top bolt hole on the lower intake for the thermostat housing was broke, i have the piece (it was in the glove box... Should I grab the used intake from the junkyard? It's only $30...

I forgot to ask about my camshaft sensor but when i drag the car over i'll have them look at that as well...

So yea.. It was one of better quotes I've gotten, the normal shop I use (locally owned goodyear shop) had a quote that was double that for labor. Now once I get this done I can set in and start building my 3.8 in my spare time when I move