Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Engine Build: Monte Carlo Intimidator engine rebuild

Old 07-28-2014, 11:48 AM
1 Year Member
Default Monte Carlo Intimidator engine rebuild

Ok so I'm going to be shipped off for basic training and AIT within the next month and a half (find out Thursday) and I get to come home for Christmas and new years, I plan on having my Monte's engine rebuilt and adding this Stage 1 kit ZZPerformance - Stage 1 Performance Package #ZZ-STG1PP to it. I can have my uncle work on it while I'm gone and I'm new to all this kind of stuff (he knows what he is doing he bbuilds cars all the time) but I was wondering what you guys thought and I'm open to any suggestions for the rebuild and about the kit. Again I'm pretty new to this so any help is good help thanks!

Old 07-28-2014, 02:43 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

In my opinion I would not do this. You can have an exhaust shop remove the u bend and weld a straight section of pipe with a o2 bung for cheap. You could look on other forums for a modular pull hub and pulley and save cost there buying new. As far as tunes go I'm not a fan of zzp tunes but that's just me. The drop in air filter is a waste IMO, just buy a whole intake from "cold air inductions"

Old 07-28-2014, 02:44 PM
10 Year Member

Your monte is supercharged correct? This is for a supercharged car.

Old 07-28-2014, 05:44 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by turbo monte
Your monte is supercharged correct? This is for a supercharged car.
I forgot to mention that, I have a K&N cold air intake on it right now. I don't need the air filter. And yep, its the 3.8 supercharged

Old 07-28-2014, 06:48 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Since your uncle will be rebuilding the engine, are you considering any internals for upgrading? Pistons, Cam, lifters etc?

My turbo build we used the high quality Cometic head gaskets. I would think the supercharged L67 engine would benefit from these head gaskets as well. Total Seal piston rings. Put in the aluminum coolant elbows, the old OEM plastic ones fail quite reguarly.

Cometic - Cometic Multi Layer Metal Head Gaskets #CM-

- Aluminum Coolant Elbows #ZZ-ALCE

Total Seal Home

Old 07-28-2014, 07:25 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02
Since your uncle will be rebuilding the engine, are you considering any internals for upgrading? Pistons, Cam, lifters etc?

My turbo build we used the high quality Cometic head gaskets. I would think the supercharged L67 engine would benefit from these head gaskets as well. Total Seal piston rings. Put in the aluminum coolant elbows, the old OEM plastic ones fail quite reguarly.

Cometic - Cometic Multi Layer Metal Head Gaskets #CM-

- Aluminum Coolant Elbows #ZZ-ALCE

Total Seal Home
Yeaa I'm wanting to do some custom work to the engine and I don't know exactly what so of you have any suggestions that'd be awesome. And hmm I'll look into that, thanks man

Old 07-28-2014, 09:31 PM
10 Year Member

I say keep the bottom end stock. No need to touch it people make big power of stock bottom ends all the time with no issues. Factory head gaskets are fine as well (I am using factory ones making 500+whp.) The cometic gaskets are good for the first use but are a pain to reuse like they say can be done so not worth the extra money in my eyes.

Look into a nice cam and some heads with port work and bigger valves and use arp head studs instead of factory head bolts. Get a full stack intercooler as well and do supporting fuel mods (racetronics pump and rewire, injectors) and run a 3.0 pulley and make well over 300whp. You could also swap your gen 3 supercharger for a gen v supercharger as they are a way more efficient blower for even more hp

If you don't want to do a cam you can do rockers but not as much of a gain as a cam. Stock lifters are fine as well. If you do cam it get a roll master double roller timing set.

These are just some places to start there is tons more detailed info that can be given once you give more Info (hp goal, $ willing to spend etc)

Aluminum coolant elbows are a great choice!

Lastly with these mods and this hp plan on needing a trans build as these trans suck. Look up dave at triple edge performance for a trans. He is by far the best trans builder for these transmissions!

Last edited by turbo monte; 07-28-2014 at 09:38 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:56 AM
1 Year Member

=turbo monte;624093]I say keep the bottom end stock. No need to touch it people make big power to stock bottom ends all the time with no issues. Factory head gaskets are fine as well (I am using factory ones making 500+whp.) The cometic gaskets are good for the first use but are a pain to reuse like they say can be done so not worth the extra money in my eyes.

Look into a nice cam and some heads with port work and bigger valves and use arp head studs instead of factory head bolts. Get a full stack intercooler as well and do supporting fuel mods (racetronics pump and rewire, injectors) and run a 3.0 pulley and make well over 300whp. You could also swap your gen 3 supercharger for a gen v supercharger as they are a way more efficient blower for even more hp

If you don't want to do a cam you can do rockers but not as much of a gain as a cam. Stock lifters are fine as well. If you do cam it get a roll master double roller timing set.

These are just some places to start there is tons more detailed info that can be given once you give more Info (hp goal, $ willing to spend etc)

Aluminum coolant elbows are a great choice!

Lastly with these mods and this hp plan on needing a trans build as these trans suck. Look up dave at triple edge performance for a trans. He is by far the best trans builder for these transmissions![/QUOTE]

What supporting mods would you do with the smaller pulley?? And hp goals, right now I'm looking to get around the 300WHP area right now, I'm not necessarily looking for super performance but something more than the 5.3 puts out. And right now I'm willing to put a couple grand into it (that's what I have planned) but I have no idea how far it'll take me.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:07 AM
10 Year Member

my buddy is making just over 300whp with a gen v, huge intercooler, injectors, pump upgrade, 1.9 rockers, 3.0 pulley, headers, and a very good self tune. he ran 12.50 in the 1/4 mile.

there is other ways to get 300whp with using the blower you have instead of upgrading as well by using a cam etc. heads are the biggest restriction on a supercharged build when you want to make over 300whp but for a 300whp goal stock heads should be fine.

now remember like i said you will need a trans build, my buddy with above setup broke a convertor, 2 input shafts and he is on trans 4 now. 4th trans is completely built and has treated him very well with no issues for a while now.

(your above post you messed with the quote feature so it is not quoting my reply with your response like it should)

Old 07-29-2014, 01:37 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by turbo monte
my buddy is making just over 300whp with a gen v, huge intercooler, injectors, pump upgrade, 1.9 rockers, 3.0 pulley, headers, and a very good self tune. he ran 12.50 in the 1/4 mile.

there is other ways to get 300whp with using the blower you have instead of upgrading as well by using a cam etc. heads are the biggest restriction on a supercharged build when you want to make over 300whp but for a 300whp goal stock heads should be fine.

now remember like i said you will need a trans build, my buddy with above setup broke a convertor, 2 input shafts and he is on trans 4 now. 4th trans is completely built and has treated him very well with no issues for a while now.

(your above post you messed with the quote feature so it is not quoting my reply with your response like it should)
I think I'd stick with this supercharger for now, if down the road I feel like I want more power and have the funds I'd change it but if it's feasible to achieve the 300hp with mine then I'll just stick with it. And ok I'll make sure to check out a transmission so I can have some knowledge on what I'm doing and just have to research some more on cams, Pistons and all that stuff. And I have no idea what happened with the quote feature for me, it kept messing up. My bad

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine Build: Monte Carlo Intimidator engine rebuild