Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Rebuild Engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 09:26 PM
Default Rebuild Engine

Ok guys,

So my 95 LS has seen better days, my intake gasket repairs didn't go as planned... engine has more problems that it's worth. My tranny has 15K on it, had that rebuilt by a specialty shop.

Have you guys had anyone rebuild an engine for you? Or are ya a mechanic that does it? What am I looking at for prices? Parts+Labor, I can't qualify for a loan for a new car (Was looking at a '03 Eclipse, 5 speed) but we can come up with the cash if it isn't too expensive for the engine rebuild.

I know if it's in the budget I would love the cylinders bored and a new camshaft if possible... What else would you suggest?

Old 02-28-2008, 10:19 PM
Default RE: Rebuild Engine

To be frankly honest, the cost to pull the motorout of your LS, and rebuild it, and slap it back in, even modded, wouldbe morethan a used 3800 engine with low mileage, and you'd still be left with less power, an possibily less reliability.

You're on a 95, so you'll have to do the ODB2 conversion so a 97+ PCM would be compatible.

Search up 95 Monte ODB2 conversion, not just on this site, but others too. You'll get good info.

What exactly is the problem(s) with your current 3100?

Old 02-28-2008, 10:19 PM

If I were you, I'd take a coffee break.

Have a little talk with the guy who has the local Mobile Canteen that visits all the Dealerships and has the area's Top Wrenches drinking his coffee and buying his hot dogs and donuts!

Tell him you are looking for a talented guy who'd like to make some quick bucks doing a rebuild and some mods to your car. You'll supply whatever the wrencher needs to do it right.

Put that in the oven at 350 Degrees and don't stomp across the kitchen floor for awhile.

A Business Cards with your number would be a nice touch. Write: (For example) Chevy 3400SFI Rebuilt w/ Power Mods -- Cash -- Rick (867) 552-4979

When you get a call ... offer to help cleaning parts and doing grunt work!

Old 02-28-2008, 10:21 PM

What exactly is the matter? I'm assuming it sounds like a bottom end problem if you're looking at a total rebuild (ie spun bearing or something).

If it were me, I wouldn't even waste your money on rebuilding it. 3100s are common as heck in junkyards, you should be able to pick one up for next to nothing (I can't see it costing more than $250). That, or keep an eye out on sites like motorswap.org and such, for people swapping L67s into their cars.

When I did my swap, I offered to sell my 3100/4t60 for $100 picked up, and didn't get any bids, so for the last 3 weeks, I posted it on mymonte, 60*v6, and clubgp for a free w/ pickup just so someone could have it (still ran fine); but I couldn't get anyone to even take it for free. That should give you some idea as to how undesireable they are (coupled with how plentiful they are, they should be dirt cheap).

I'm just thinking- I bet you could get a running engine for less than what a set of new bearings/gaskets would run- thats not even getting into all the machine shop work that would be needed.

The only bad thing is with your 95, you may have to reuse some of your factory sensors and such with the new engine, b/c its not full obd2- like the 96+.

Old 02-29-2008, 12:00 AM

I'm looking for reliability. I spent $2100 on a new tranny a 15k miles ago and the dealer offered $500 for trade in... and i was rejected for loans anyways. I have a local engine shop that does this stuff all the time, he's rebuilt several engines for my uncle in years past.

My engine was tested, they said it was a nad intake gasket, so i replaced those myself, now I'm told its the head gasket. I'm going off to college in a couple months so I'd rather it be done within the next month. I've also looked at a couple different long blocks I can pick up from GM dealers for around $950

I want the car to last awhile so I'm torn between what to do. Dropping a used engine in means i inherit all the issues from that engine, where as with a rebuilt a get a semi ok warranty, and then with a reman i get the dealer warranty...

I don't care too much for making it into a 3800... I've got plans for restoring a '72 in a year or two when I'm set with more disposable income...

Old 02-29-2008, 09:38 AM

Disposable income, disposable engines. Get a used 3100, and be done with it.

Or, if all your engine needs is head gaskets, just spend a weekend, and do it. YOu don't need to spend all kinds of money to have an engine rebuilt, and still be in the same boat. Used 3100s are reliable, and if for some reason you end up with a dud, all you lose is a couple of hundred, vs. a thousand+ for a rebuilt/reman... then you have to fight to get repairs under warranty, if they even give you a warranty.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:29 AM

Thats the whole thing... The reman has a 100k GM warranty whereas the local place I'm looking at has a 60k mile warranty, And as I said... I don't have a disposable income so... a couple hunderd bucks is A LOT to me, so I'd rather have it done and done right. And winter in minnesota is not the time to be doing car repairs on your slanted driveway

Old 02-29-2008, 04:47 PM

I gotta go with the Used 3100. It isn't worth getting a remanufactured engine. The 3100 is a good engine minus the intake gasket problem. If you drop 300 bucks and the thing only gets 15,000 miles you are still better in the longrun than getting the remanufacutred engine.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:14 PM

ORIGINAL: Nathan
I have a local engine shop that does this stuff all the time, he's rebuilt several engines for my uncle in years past.
Even if you have a friend who owns a machine shop, its still not cheap to rebuild an engine completely. I don't think there is any way in heck you could get it totally rebuilt for under $750- I mean all new gaskets and bearings alone would probably be $300, and $400 is a heck of a good deal for someone to totally remachine, check, and rebuild an engine.

My engine was tested, they said it was a nad intake gasket, so i replaced those myself, now I'm told its the head gasket.
Then why not do the head gaskets yourself? 80% of your engine machine shop costs are going to be in rebuilding the bottom end. If your bottom end is in good shape, then there is no point in spending a bunch of money to fix it.

I can't imagine it would cost more than maybe $200 total to change headgaskets out. I just wouldn't go spending money to fix something that isn't broken (ie bottom end), especially if you're strapped for cash.

Dropping a used engine in means i inherit all the issues from that engine, where as with a rebuilt a get a semi ok warranty, and then with a reman i get the dealer warranty...
I would reccomend buying a used engine if your engine was really broken. Simple blown gaskets isn't cause for buying a whole new engine (or waste time swapping in a used engine) IMO. It'll be 10x more expensive, and 10x more labor intensive.

And as I said... I don't have a disposable income so... a couple hunderd bucks is A LOT to me, so I'd rather have it done and done right.
If you don't have much extra money, then I wouldn't even be thinking about swapping complete engines out.

If you're worried that they misdiagnosed your problem or something- get a second opinion before you switch out head gaskets.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:11 PM

As I said, minnesota, winter, slanted driveway... and I overstayed my welcome when I did the intake so i've been kicked outta the only garage I had access to. But as it stands, my uncle is paying for it as a graduation present. So I don't know... the camshaft sensor is either bad, or the camshaft itself is going too... that was one of my concerns.

And I have a bad experience with used engines which is why I'm hesitant... unless I can get a 3.4 or 3.8 in it... transmission are the same for them just the bell housing is different, correct?

Quick Reply: Rebuild Engine