Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

pcm tuning in wisconsin????

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 12:42 PM

so wait if u upgrade u have to run 93 octane or regular unleaded, sorry i was just a little confused at the statements

Old 07-11-2010, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by silverstreak
so wait if u upgrade u have to run 93 octane or regular unleaded, sorry i was just a little confused at the statements
As stated above- you don't "have to" run premium with an aftermarket canned pcm tune; your engine isn't going to explode and fall apart if you run regular.

However, one of the advantages of most aftermarket pcm's is that they bump timing up- and in order to take advantage of the extra timing, you need to run premium; if you keep using regular, you're also likely losing most of the horsepower gains from running an aftermarket pcm tune.

To me, that's like buying a more performance oriented car - like my GXP that says "premium fuel recommended". Its not going to destroy the engine if you use regular, but then you're also losing out on some of the performance, so you're shooting yourself in the foot by doing it.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 07-11-2010 at 12:50 PM.
Old 07-11-2010, 02:37 PM

oh ok i got ya!!! hows the fuel economy on the premium? good, bad, or doesn't make a difference. my brothers cobalt ss takes premium as has really good mpgs for a supercharged 4 banger, does it really make a difference? the way i think of it premium has a higher combustion rate so it actually should be... worse mpgs?

Old 07-12-2010, 10:58 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
As stated above- you don't "have to" run premium with an aftermarket canned pcm tune; your engine isn't going to explode and fall apart if you run regular.

However, one of the advantages of most aftermarket pcm's is that they bump timing up- and in order to take advantage of the extra timing, you need to run premium; if you keep using regular, you're also likely losing most of the horsepower gains from running an aftermarket pcm tune.

To me, that's like buying a more performance oriented car - like my GXP that says "premium fuel recommended". Its not going to destroy the engine if you use regular, but then you're also losing out on some of the performance, so you're shooting yourself in the foot by doing it.
which gas choice is usually 93? i guess spending the extra 4 bucks everytime isnt soo bad, but i go to mobil, im not sure which would be which for the octane, i understand regular is usually 87, but then theres too more selections, and not sure which is which.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:24 AM

pretty sure 93 is premium not silver. but it would be pretty ironic if u think about it. is there really any car that takes silver anymore? its either premium or regular

Old 07-14-2010, 07:36 PM

hows the fuel economy on the premium? good, bad, or doesn't make a difference.
Realistically, no difference.

my brothers cobalt ss takes premium as has really good mpgs for a supercharged 4 banger, does it really make a difference?
The fact that its a small, light car with a 4 cylinder is what makes it get good MPG- not the fact that it runs premium. Plus, the supercharger goes into bypass mode for normal driving, so it takes very little power to spin until you actually get on the gas.

the way i think of it premium has a higher combustion rate so it actually should be... worse mpgs?
Higher resistance to detonation- it doesn't have any more power naturally or anything like that; its just harder to make explode than regular.

which gas choice is usually 93? i guess spending the extra 4 bucks everytime isnt soo bad, but i go to mobil, im not sure which would be which for the octane, i understand regular is usually 87, but then theres too more selections, and not sure which is which.
Back in the midwest, it was usually 87/89/93 (or 92 or 94 for premium depending on station). The one with the highest number is premium (ie 92/93/94 depending where you live).

Old 07-17-2010, 04:00 PM

bumpin has anyone ever told you that you are the man?