Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Pcm Most def on my get list

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 11:55 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by wht02monte
Well, you got the CAI, thats the first thing you get to HELP (you cant stop it)
180* t-stat would help, anything to keep the engine cooler. Higher octane gas always helps. It helped me with the PCM, he says you dont NEED it? He told me it is highly reccomended though and it reduces KR.
The PCM will increase your timing, so you're going to need mods/higher octane gas to kill the KR. KR is knock retard - the motor is detonating or "pinging". Basically, the pistons are getting hammered with larger explosions. The PCM senses the detonation with the knock sensors, and pulls timing to keep your **** from blowing up. Each degree of KR pulls one degree of timing. Less power, less powerful detonations, it basically saves your pistons from being busted into pieces.

The biggest thing I have found that helps the MOST, dont floor it from a dig. Ease into full throttle. Now, you dont need to baby the gas pedal, just dont floor it from ZERO MPH. Synthetic oil will keep your engine a little cooler, whitch will help a TINY bit. Buy the oil filter that is made for the V8 (im not sure exactly which one this is, maybe PM a couple people who have the newer SS's)
Every car is different. Some will see instant KR at full throttle, some won't. Before my ported heads, I had 9 degrees of KR, anytime I even attempted full thottle. Now I may get a blip of .5 degrees. IDK bout the oil, but I'm pretty sure you should just use the oil filter that's made for your motor - swapping it out with a larger one won't help much, if any at all, with your KR.

Braking real hard also creates KR.
Alot of people are against this one, but I find it helps a little also, every about 5 fillups, put in a quarter bottle of STP octane booster (remember though every 5 fillups ONE QUARTER BOTTLE.
Keeping your air filter really clean (im sure you already do that one though right?)
Braking does not make the motor have KR. KR does not occur while your foot's not on the gas. I'm also not with you as far as the octane booster goes... How many octane points is it? You might as well just use Seafoam, it'll at least clean something. And yes, a clean air filter always helps the motor breathe better.

You're ALWAYS gonna have some KR from time to time. Nothing you can do about that one.
You will get KR sometimes, but if you have a good tune, you won't see KR unless it's hot outside and you've been driving the car for a while.

And FWIW, each degree of KR your PCM is sensing makes you lose 3 horsepower. And you don't have the performance that you had before that KR was sensed. I believe you have to let the car cool for 15-30 minutes to restore that lost performance due to the knock.

Edit - you need a scanner that you plug into your OBDII port to know how much KR your motor is getting.

Hope this has helped.

Last edited by nitehawkjcb; 07-06-2010 at 12:05 AM.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:56 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

alright...ill try what you told me then haha

Old 07-06-2010, 08:28 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member

Gothkid, don't you have a 3800??

Mod first, PCM last.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:29 AM

^^^^^^^^

Old 07-06-2010, 10:01 PM

It helped me with the PCM, he says you dont NEED it?
IMO, there is no sense in getting a pcm that increases timing if you don't run higher octane gas to take advantage of it.

The biggest thing I have found that helps the MOST, dont floor it from a dig. Ease into full throttle.
Honestly, if the tune is done correctly, you should be able to floor it without KR. Obviously a canned pcm tune isn't going to be able to do that though.

Braking real hard also creates KR.
Link to this info? You should never have KR unless you're at WOT or heavily lugging the engine (up a hill, etc); definitely not off the throttle completely.

Alot of people are against this one, but I find it helps a little also, every about 5 fillups, put in a quarter bottle of STP octane booster (remember though every 5 fillups ONE QUARTER BOTTLE.
If you want higher octane, run premium fuel.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:54 AM

Everything I posted, I was told to do so by NAPA like I said. I tried to emphesize that so you all didnt think it was coming from me like I knew from expierience. The octane booster I was told has some exrta stuff in it to help out also. Now you all know Im not the most knolegable when it comes to these things, I know some and Im learning each day, but I tend to belive things when I hear them from shops and such. The guy told me this whole explaination on how the hard braking creates KR, but of course Im gonna belive you guys more. But anyway, sorry for the misleading info.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:06 AM

15 Year Member

Octane booster is also a waste of money. If you use octane booster in 87 octane, you increased it to 87.1 octane.

If you NEED to put something in your gas tank to feel better, throw a can of seafoam in, then fill up the tank every 10K miles

Old 07-08-2010, 12:49 AM

LOL I wish I could get 10k miles for every tank of gas... What ever could be your secret?? JK LOL

Old 07-08-2010, 08:20 AM

15 Year Member

haha, I guess it could be read that way :P