Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

oil&temp gauge

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 02:12 AM
Default oil&temp gauge

i was noticing today that my oil gauge when it sits at idle its at the line before the halfway mark and when i rev it bounces to the little before the three quater mark,is that normal.it is every time i stop and go.

my temp gauge when it warms up sits at between the quater and halfway mark mybe a little closer to the quater mark is that normal.

Old 12-24-2007, 09:31 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: oil&temp gauge

thats a little low i think... mine stays between 1/2 and 3/4. GM says oil guages generally scrwe around like that after so many miles... my parents suburban with 250,000 on the odometer has an oil pressure guageboucnes around alot when you stop and take off. another thing is if you hti the door lock on that car it will fall by about 1/4 or so while your hand is on the switch. the water temperature guage does the same thing, but not to that extent. i think GM classifies this as "normal" actually.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:17 AM

so does anybody else's monte do that?so what it sounds like its a cluster problem

Old 12-27-2007, 09:08 AM

[align=center]Hi `Jeff,[/align][align=center]How many miles are on your Monte ?[/align][align=center]It sound normal to me.[/align][align=center]A oil pressure gauge will increase with rev's,[/align][align=center]and return at idle.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]When your engine is cold, it will have a higher pressure reading, then when it is warmed up. It will decrease a little when warm.[/align][align=center]Are you hearing any unusual noises from your engine ?[/align][align=center]If your reading is changing often, it could be a oil pressure[/align][align=center]sending unit, which tells the gauge inside your Monte[/align][align=center]how much pressure the oil pump is producing.[/align][align=center]
At the bottom of your motor is the oil pump, and on the pump is a screen that acts as a filter. If the screen becomes clogged with dirt it will restrict the flow of oil to the pump, thus low oil pressure. If you truly do have a restriction or low oil pressure coming out of the oil pump you will usually hear noises in the engine because of lack of lubrication. [/align][align=center]Your temp reading seems `ok to me. What degree[/align][align=center]thermostat do your have 180 ?[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Be happy that you have gauges to keep track of what's [/align][align=center]going on : ) Many new models don't : ( My 06LT3 didn't [X(][/align][align=center]Good Luck,[/align][align=center]I'm sure some of our ExPert Member's will post.[/align][align=center]Happy Holidays, `Space[/align]

Old 12-27-2007, 09:33 AM

What should your oil pressure gauge read at idle & highway speeds ?
[:-]
IT VARIES BUT AT LEAST 25PSI IDLE 50PSI AND UP HIGHWAY
oil pressure is normally at least 20psi idle and should be 40psi or more above 2000rpm.
10 p.s.i. for every 1000 r.p.m. is the general rule.

The oil pressure gauge tells you the condition of your crankshaft bearings. The takeoff for the gauge is situated between the oil pump pressure outlet and the internal oil gallery that feeds the crankshaft bearings.
When the engine is new the bearings have an oil clearance of about 0.03810mm (0.0015in). This clearance creates the pressure that is shown on your gauge.
As the bearings wear, the oil gap gets bigger, there is less resistance for the pump to force oil through, so the pressure will be lower.
If you oil level is very low, you will notice that the oil pressure will drop suddenly as you turn a corner. Left or right depending on which side your pump pick up is on.
Oil pressure is a vital property of your engines long life. The crankshaft is running on a cushion of oil that keeps the bearings from rubbing on the hardened steel crankshaft. If the pressure drops too low, there is a very real chance of metal to metal contact.
Hope this is of some help to you
, `Space

Old 12-28-2007, 07:34 AM

its got about 75,000,and i havent changed the t-stat since i bought it so im guessing stock.195 i believe

Old 12-28-2007, 12:56 PM

Yeah mine does the same thing so im guessing its normal.