Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

huge issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 05:27 PM
Default huge issue

ok, so heres the issue, about a month ago the whip started to really sputter and cough. Whenever I give my 2001 LS some gas theres response for a brief second but as soon as the car reaches 2500-3000 approx rpm's it holds and the car starts to kick back and feels just like its coughing while trying to take a deep breath. I took it to my local GM certified dealer and they said my K&N intake and mass air flow sensor were running her too lean so i took out the mass air sensor but kept the intake. Still the same issue yet worse, much worse. Getting on the highway is a prayer. It does this in every gear, 1-D. One big thing that throws me for a loop is that every now and then the monte feels completely normal. Probably every 1/10 times my car drives amazing and has no issue. Any ideas??

Old 12-28-2007, 05:32 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008
Default RE: huge issue

Okay, I'm going to take a stab in the dark here.....

Catalytic converter??????

Old 12-28-2007, 06:50 PM

have u tried putting a fuel filter on it lately

Old 12-28-2007, 09:42 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

fuel filter is a possibiliyt..... i'm thinking the whole fuel pump though. did it do this one time, this time only or what? if it happened right after you filled up, it could be water/sludge in the tank at the station taht got transferred to your car. it happened to my parents submarine (what my dad and I nicknamed the Suburban). perhaps you should fill up somewhere else.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:13 PM

I vote Fuel Filter ... too. I just did the one on my Monte. I hacked-open the OEM Filter and found that the Paper Filter Element was partially clogged with what looked like fine, dark-brown clay. When the paper element dried I expanded it and could scrape it off with my fingernail.

My neighbor said is something that forms in the underground tanks at service stations that get Ethanol added gas ... The Ethanol causes Condensation in the tanks and they rust or something of that nature ... it just winds-up in your Fuel Filter's and Beenie Screens on Fuell Pumps and Motorcycle Carbs.

The Fuel Filter is a pretty easy swap. The job is really easy if you have tubing wrenches. The toughest fitting was the 1/2" Bolt holding the Fuel Filter Bracket to the under-body. I did mine inn the street with a Floor Jack and two safety stands holding the Driver Side up while I took the bracket bolts out and broke the Hexes with the tubing wrenches. The front-end just has a Plastic Clip that mates to the Fuel Line going forward.

Squeeze the ears and extract the Filter.