Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Intake Build: Novi Paxton Migration

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2022, 11:08 AM

I bet you're getting excited as it looks so close to ready.

I've got that same pcm tray - its hard to beat for how cheap it is.

I'm really liking the look of the charge pipe with the AL upper intake - makes it look really clean. As much as I love ICs, it does sure make a mess of the plumbing in that intake area.

Old 06-10-2022, 09:12 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
As much as I love ICs, it does sure make a mess of the plumbing in that intake area.
Yeah it was always nice to run just low boost and not require an intercooler, or an A2A exchanger or anything on this build. Not that we want to push that much power to this transmission anyway

I'm excited for Jason, he got to experience this on the black car, and now he's moving it all over and completely cleaning up the build at the same time, all goals that I had at one point. It's looking amazing and I can't wait to see it in person at the end of the month.

Old 06-12-2022, 09:09 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Last week, I suffered a small set back that should be fixed tomorrow. Injector #6 decided to malfunction. I even did the pressure test with a pressure gauge and the GM TechII and confirmed it activates (can hear it) but does not push any fuel. These were the 42# injectors off the black Monte. Dumb luck. I tried to see what I could get from the SummitRacing store in Tallmage OH (it's about a 1 hour ride for me) but according to their web site, they don't have anything in stock that could work (unless I wanted to buy a set of 8 Holley 42# injectors). I spoke to a guy at INTENSE-Racing and he confirmed they sell the same injectors. Part of me said "replace the clogged one", but I opted to order all 6.

Old 06-12-2022, 09:11 PM

10 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
I bet you're getting excited as it looks so close to ready.

I've got that same pcm tray - its hard to beat for how cheap it is.

I'm really liking the look of the charge pipe with the AL upper intake - makes it look really clean. As much as I love ICs, it does sure make a mess of the plumbing in that intake area.
The PCM tray is truly awesome! I never knew about this until I saw Mike do it to the Black Monte (which I left that try in the Black Monte). I agree the plumbing for an IC is nuts, but for now, just starting small. See how I feel in the future if I want to do an IC. I am anxious to start experiencing this setup very soon!

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Yeah it was always nice to run just low boost and not require an intercooler, or an A2A exchanger or anything on this build. Not that we want to push that much power to this transmission anyway

I'm excited for Jason, he got to experience this on the black car, and now he's moving it all over and completely cleaning up the build at the same time, all goals that I had at one point. It's looking amazing and I can't wait to see it in person at the end of the month.
I am excited to get this thing moving. Maybe I can give you a thrill ride with a novi paxton this year lol! I am curious how the tuning is going to work out. Going to Carlisle I don't expect the tuning to be full peak performance, but hopefully not lean and not disgustingly rich.....

Old 06-14-2022, 08:19 AM

10 Year Member

Last night, popped in 6 brand new 42# lucas injectors.... And.... Problem still persisted!!! I did the pressure test, same results. I decided to swap the wiring adapters for the injectors and the problem followed the adapter! Further investigation, the one adapter had a pin that was bent just enough to the side, it would spring back to an almost good position when inspecting. I tweaked it a bit and we are now in business! Wednesday, I connect up the oil lines and get the cog and cog belt and I am done with wrench work.
I admit, I am annoyed because I looked at those pins last week. Chibi even suggested I swap the adapters. But I am NOT sure what I heard click during the pressure test, but clearly NOT the injector.
Live and learn. Moving on and moving forward!

Old 06-16-2022, 04:47 AM

Sweet freaking thread!!!! I remember wanting this setup so much back in the day but that was just about the time turbos came out and zzp had their "hybrid" t3/t4 setup, but it was also the time when I was focused on road racing with on 2 wheels.. it's so refreshing to see a Paxton Novi still in action. Such a rare gem indeed.

Keep up the good work brother!

Old 06-16-2022, 07:50 AM

10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Mac7504
Sweet freaking thread!!!! I remember wanting this setup so much back in the day but that was just about the time turbos came out and zzp had their "hybrid" t3/t4 setup, but it was also the time when I was focused on road racing with on 2 wheels.. it's so refreshing to see a Paxton Novi still in action. Such a rare gem indeed.

Keep up the good work brother!
Thanks! I have Chibi to thank for this, as the Novi kit is what I stripped out of his old Monte (now that I own it). And his old Monte is still safe as a properly running car. I finished a LOT of work on the Black Monte, you should see another thread I have, focused JUST on that car, link below.
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/sh...k-monte-62826/

Thanks for the support! It's nice to have a few interesting and unique mods, this is definitely one of those unique ones!

Old 06-16-2022, 08:12 AM

10 Year Member

Last night was a success but NOT what I expected! When I removed the Novi oil lines from Chibi's black Monte, everything was SUPER simple. I figured "hey, install into the blue Monte should be almost as easy", HA! Joke's on me.
First thing I did was put the oil return line in. Drained the oil pan (I needed an oil change anyways). Removed the oil level switch and went to put the fittings in it's place to connect the return line. I tighten it up and the elbow on it pointed down. To repoint, I would either leave it loose to the pan or so tight the threads would strip. Since this connection was two fittings, I separated them, cleaned the treads, put some fresh thread goop on and re-installed. I was able to manipulate things to work! Whew! That should be the LAST of my issues, right? NOPE!

The supply line requires removing the oil pressure sender, installing a brass block the has a 90 degree fitting on it and ultimately allows connection the oil supply line AND the oil pressure sender. This was the real frustrating part! On the black Monte, this spun off, EASY! No obstructions at all. Problem #1, that 90 degree fitting needed removed, threads cleaned, new pipe thread goop, put back on, but not tightened into it's final position. This was because it hit and would not clear part of the CV Half shaft. Next was problems with hitting parts of the power steering pump or the power steering metal lines, trying to get wrenches on things. What a MESS! Then I had to figure my supply line routing. Chibi went up and over the upper intake. I know another Novi guy who went around the font. I bought the same stainless braided line as that guy (one fitting has a 90 degree turn and the other is straight). I wrapped the line in wire loom to protect from possible friction rubs. Well, the guy I modeled from used the 90 degree part of the line down by the oil pressure sending unit. This was NOT working for me because of the power steering lines. UGH! So, I changed it around. Over all, damn happy!

The line comes out of the brass block where the oil pressure unit is, snakes around the filter, through the engine mount bracket (zip ties to ensure NOTHING suddenly gets in the way of the pulleys or any moving parts), comes around to the front, climbs up between the radiator fans, under the radiator mount and the 90 degree fitting goes into the Novi. If I had this to do over, I would have bought a line with two straight fittings, but this worked.

And my worst fear, oil leaking, dripping or spraying from somewhere (like that brass block). I did a first start, leak inspection, NO signs of issues! Turned it off and made it official, I got the last cog and cog belt installed.

Here are pics of the oil line.

Old 06-19-2022, 02:09 PM

10 Year Member

Made a trip to and from the W-Body meet in Michigan with the blue Monte. One issue, this supposed breather with a check ball, leave your factory PCV alone, I think is a huge fail! I had oil that escaped a few gaskets and best I can tell, too much pressure in the crank case. This morning, I have cleaned up all the underside oil as best I can, removed the breather with a check ball for the breather the black Monte was using with this same Novi and as instructed, blocked off the factory PCV system. I went on an hour drive and don't see the same signs of oil leak, but I did see what appears to be a few drops of oil off the back of the trans pan. I am letting the car cool down and I will jack it up and crawl under to better inspect.

Old 06-19-2022, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
And my worst fear, oil leaking, dripping or spraying from somewhere (like that brass block). I did a first start, leak inspection, NO signs of issues!
Its too bad they didn't go with a self contained blower in those kits to avoid having to run those oil lines. Reading all that definitely makes me glad I went with a v3si on my c6.

Quick Reply: Intake Build: Novi Paxton Migration