Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

6th Gen ('00-'05): New Tranny or...?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 12:29 PM
Monte of the Month -- December 2013
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default New Tranny or...?

As most of you may know, a few years ago my car started acting up where it would jerk and "grind" rapidly at low RPM's. I brought it to a shop awhile ago and they said after just test driving it, that I'd need a new transmission. But he never really thoroughly looked at it, so I figured I'd ask you guys n' gals. Granted, my car has 184k on the clock. I have no knowledge whether or not it's still the original transmission or if it has been replaced.

During the cold winter months, I rarely have any issues with it. The only time it will act up is driving in town for an hour or so, and even then it just slightly hesitates...However, the other day when it was 50+ degrees outside, I went for a drive and it started acting up almost immediately! So it's really just warm weather that effects it..

My question is, do you guys think it's really the tranny? Someone told me awhile ago that it could possibly be one of the lines. Would just like some other option before I fork over the $3K

And also, after 2 years (20k miles) with this issue it still works like a champ! Only except when it's warmed up..so if it was the transmission, wouldn't it have gone by now?

Last edited by Monroe; 03-19-2014 at 12:33 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:37 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

Sounds like the fluid is getting thinner In the warm weather or after the car warms up. A fluid thickener may buy you time.

Im sure your handy enough to check all the lines and see if you have an issue. It could be you arnt getting enough line pressure when the temp goes up though, do you have a tune? Increasing line pressure may help you out too. If you have the low pressure it may be that one of your lines Is blocked, but sa that point warming would help, not worsen the problem most likely.

Old 03-19-2014, 03:02 PM

I just don't know how exactly to "check" lines. They aren't kinked, slit, or anything to that nature. But...

Old 03-19-2014, 04:04 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

When was the last time you did a filter change? Sounds like it's clogged and causing low line pressure. No cel for this? Probably to late at this point for a filter change and will need rebuilt.

One thing to try real quick is unplug the main trans connector that's in the side cover of the trans under the throttle body and go for a little drive. By unplugging it the pcm will give max line pressure and that will tell you if it's a pressure issue or something else.

Old 03-20-2014, 08:21 AM

Never got around to it. But I do have a new filter from ZZP, is it fairly simple to replace?
I'll try disconnecting it, thanks!

Old 03-20-2014, 09:50 AM
10 Year Member

Do change the filter cracked the bolts on the trans pan on the long narrow end on passenger side. Once you cracked 3-4 of them over there the fluid will start leaking out. Let as much drain over there as possible and then start loosening them from that point around once most fluid is drained. This will save you a huge mess lol. Take all bolts out drop pan and see what the bottom of the pan looks like. Look for metal flakes. The filter is just under the pan firmly pull it out. Be sure the sleeve of the old one is out and install new filter and then trans pan. Gasket is reusable if not torn etc as its molded rubber. Refill with fluid and done.

Don't over torque the trans pan bolts as they will strip and when tightening tighten them evenly as if your doing a wheel.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:53 AM
10 Year Member

It's a pain but after the old filter is out bend all the tabs on the old filter and separate it. See how clogged the filter is and if any metal etc in it. Be careful not to cut yourself the edges are sharp and like i said it's a pain to separate lol

Old 03-20-2014, 10:27 AM

Thanks John!! I'll have to check it out this weekend!