Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Turbo without new tranny?

Old 12-13-2006, 11:55 PM
Default Turbo without new tranny?

Hey guys,
I've been thinking seriously about the Cartuning turbo kit. They say it's not a problem to
make 300 hp with the stock tranny; they even hint in their ad that you could add the intercooler
and get 400 hp and it wouldn't be an issue.
http://www.cartuning.ca/whychoose.php
That sounds like a lot of power for the stock setup.
What do you guys think? Are they just trying to sell their product, or is the stock tranny strong
enough?
Thx.

Old 12-14-2006, 12:27 AM
Default RE: Turbo without new tranny?

From what I have read from other members here is that you should change to the HD tranny when installing a power adder like a turbo or SC. I would think that 300 or 400hp would be very stressful on the stock tranny if this is the case.

I would also think that a programmer would be a good investment to adjust the shift points for the extra power. I am interested in a turbo as well.

Old 12-14-2006, 01:18 PM

This is a highly disputed topic. If you have a 2004 Monte with a stock supercharger you will have no problem with this upgrade.

If you are upgrading any other engine, it depends who you ask. I have never heard of an issue just adding this kit and I can't forsee an issue. Most transmission failure is caused at the starting line, but can happen at later shift points due to the high HP. The turbo lag will help to an extent as the transmission won't have the snap hp directed to it from a supercharger, a turbo needs a bit of time to kick in but will make more HP than the stock supercharger.

The company will program your PCM for you and can do the shift points you request.

Personally, if you have the money to drop $4000 plus with the intercooler you should have the cash to bump up the transmission to be safe.

As for my 04, I need to drop over 5 grand due to special upgrades that need to be done.

Old 12-14-2006, 01:25 PM

im not even sure about the stock trany on the supercharged cars! are we talking 400 at the engine or at the ground?

if at the engine it might be alright, but again your shortening the life of the trany. if 400 at the ground....i deff would consider a rebuild with harded parts.

Old 12-14-2006, 01:35 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

if your going to spend 4 grand on a turbocharger, you should just spend the money and have the other upgrades done @ the same time, with only doing one part of an upgrade it could seriously hurt your car then you out all the money you've invested.

i know they say it should work, but what if the tranny doesn't hold up, or what if you need an intercooler and because you didn't get it you blow your engine.

when you get into doing a serious upgrade like a turbo charger you really need to cover all the bases and just do everything that they say should be ok, because if it goes your car is toast

Old 12-14-2006, 05:55 PM

Boy, I wish I can afford a turbo. That would certainly jazz up my lagging stock 3800. I love that turbo sound!!!

Old 12-14-2006, 06:19 PM

Thanks for the input. That's about what I figured. Anyone know specifically what would need to be
done to the tranny to make it sufficiently stout? Or any ideas how much a new (or used) HD trans
would cost?

Old 12-14-2006, 11:17 PM

http://www.wbodystore.com/grandprix/...ons-p-140.html

shipping is $300
for 300HP your looking at $1700
for 500hp add 900
and 750+ add 1350

just saw these online this morning

Old 12-15-2006, 11:26 AM

ORIGINAL: z34phoenix

http://www.wbodystore.com/grandprix/...ons-p-140.html

shipping is $300
for 300HP your looking at $1700
for 500hp add 900
and 750+ add 1350

just saw these online this morning
That's a really good deal acutally. Their stuff is pretty decent.

I was going to recommend Mantis Transmissions because those things are next to bulletproof, but they also run $3400.

Old 12-16-2006, 05:14 AM

again you get what you pay for!

btw, how much did that "fuzzy dice mod" net you LOL

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turbo without new tranny?