Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Low oil pressure at Idle?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 12:22 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You're beatin' a dead horse, bro.
You can lead them to the water but you can't make them drink...

Old 04-24-2013, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by 03SSLE

You're beatin' a dead horse, bro.
You can lead them to the water but you can't make them drink...
Well at least in another month he won't have to ask the same question again, he'll have the answers already. He might listen to them, then.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:44 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2013
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by SSmokybear
I am sorry but a dented oil filter WILL NOT effect oil pressure in the least.
Not trying to add fuel to the fire but..like I said I heard it before. I've had customers at work say they purchased a filter with a dent & it changed the oil pressure dramatically. Once they put a undented filter on the problems went away.
If you think of it...the oil filter has oil coming right from the oil pump in a smooth fluid motion. The dent adds a blockage or resistance to the flow, slowing it down. less oil to be pumped through. Figured I'd throw that out there. I'm done. No more sense in arguing over little things..

Old 04-24-2013, 05:34 PM
10 Year Member

Haha wow yes i have the correct Oil Pressure. Well the manual says the reccomend 10w30 for the summer and 5w30 for the winter. Even my oil fill cap says 10w30. I have driven it 500 kms so far and no troubles what soever. I did the last oil change on it and the filter was not dented. A rock must have hit it or something. Car still runs like a top no knocking or ticking. Hey @SSmokybear Like i said in the previous forum, i was able to get a new sending unit and it still showed low oil pressure. Also i was due for an oil change aswell so the viscosity of the oil probably became too thin.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:40 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Mike 00LS
Well at least in another month he won't have to ask the same question again, he'll have the answers already. He might listen to them, then.
Why does everyone keep thinking that i am ignoring them I have listened to everything you guys have said . I have been giving info on everything i have been doing aswell. I appreciate everyone's advice that have been given to me but its starting to make me mad when everyone keeps thinking im ignoring them. Yes even though i was not able to get a manual gauge on it when i had the light, i was able to score a new sending unit for a pretty good price so i couldnt pass it up. Even then the light still came on. Im starting with the simple and cheap things first, thats why i did the oil change. If the problem does come back again then i will deem it as a internal issue with the motor.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:56 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by SSmokybear
I am sorry but a dented oil filter WILL NOT effect oil pressure in the least.
I can't say I've had it happen or studied the situation. Also, as I understand not all the oil in the system circulates the oil filter. But, depending on the route the oil takes to activate the oil pressure sending unit, I could possibly see, in theory, a filter significantly damaged causing a pressure problem (be it the oil is not able to pump through it, causing a blockage issue or possibly a small leak from a hole in the filter).

FYI - for grins I looked in the shop book regarding causes for improper oil pressure, here's the list:
• Low oil level
• Incorrect or malfunctioning oil pressure switch
• Incorrect or malfunctioning oil pressure gage
• Improper oil viscosity or diluted oil
• A worn or dirty oil pump
• A plugged oil filter
• A loose or plugged oil pickup screen
• A hole in the oil pickup tube
• Excessive bearing clearance
• Cracked, porous, or plugged oil gallery
• Missing or improperly installed gallery plugs
• A stuck pressure regulator valve
• A worn or poorly machined camshaft
• Worn valve guides

Based on that, I think that mean some sort of deposit build up in the oil filter, but again, depending on the severity of the dent Lorenzo was discussing, perhaps that did it.

Originally Posted by Lorenzo
Why does everyone keep thinking that i am ignoring them I have listened to everything you guys have said.
I think I will sum this up as, a bulk of the suggestions were to get a mechanical pressure gauge (this would rule out both a sensor and electrical wiring problem and tell you 100% your pressure is good or bad, thus providing better direction to troubleshoot and severity of the issue). Looking at the length of this thread, I think the other issue is that oil pressure issues can cause serious engine damage and it seems like their was not a sense of urgency in confirming what the problem was (and in this case the cause appears to have been found by accident due to scheduled maintenance).

Admittedly, all this could be coincidental (if you have an electric issue causing sensor read problems, you could still have an issue). Going back to the mechanical gauge would tell for sure.

Best I can recommend, you said you have the oi gauge. Watch it (as I'm sure you've been). If there is an electrical cause, it probably would not respond properly/consistently when you rev the engine.

FYI - My first car had a coolant leak and I thought I was paying attention to the temp gauge (as I was going from store to store and then home). When it began making a weird noise I kept watching the gauge and it was reading fine. What I did not take into account, it was not moving PERIOD. When the engine seized, we later drove it home (it cooled down and restarted like nothing was wrong). The next day found I had a melted connector for the temp sensor (as a result, I had a failed sensor).

Best of luck, I hope your issue is truly resolved with replacing a damaged filter (if so, cheap fix).

Old 04-25-2013, 08:45 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Although a plugged filter is listed as a cause for low pressure, the chances of it happening are very remote. Even if a dent in the filter caused restriction in flow, the oil would travel through the bypass valve so you would not see a reduction in pressure.

It is possible that the oil had lost enough of its additives to cause a pressure drop, but if that happened in 3500 miles I highly suggest you switch brands.

Personally, I still think you have a problem elsewhere, but until you properly diagnose the problem everything beyond this point is nothing more then speculation.