Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

LOUD TICKING NOISE!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 01:41 PM
Default LOUD TICKING NOISE!!!!!

About Three weeks after i went and got an oil change at my local garage (grismer) my car started making a faint ticking noise. I took my car to auto zone and one of the guys checked my oil. My oil was very black and thick. He said something about in time the ticking will bend the rods in my engine. Ok fast forward to today. The faint ticking has escalated to a loud knocking sound. What is this?? Please help

Old 12-25-2007, 01:53 PM
Default RE: LOUD TICKING NOISE!!!!!

wait so the guy at auto zone said the tickin will bend the rods but he couldnt tell u what the ticking was?

Old 12-25-2007, 01:54 PM

HE SAID IT HAD SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE DIRTY OIL. hE WAS SAYING IF I HAD JUST GOT AN OIL CHANGE IT SHOULDNT BE THAT DIRTY.

Old 12-25-2007, 02:05 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

you did change your filter right? if you left a dirty filter on there it would have defeated the whole purpose of the oil change. i always change my oil filter with every oil change.

Old 12-25-2007, 03:19 PM

im worried tha tyour oil was that dirty.
As far as the fait tick bending a rod. i would not worry about it as much as the dirty oil righ after i changed it.

most likly the ticking you were hearig is a liffter that is not pumping up right.
if the knocking is getting worse take it to a TRUSTED mechanic and have them check it out.

OR you can also take a long extention off of your socket set. and put a coupel togeather to keep your head out away from anything dangerous.

and put one end of the ext. to the motor around the spark plgus and the other to the side of your head by your ear. MAKE SURE YOUR NOT TOUCHING TH EPLUG WIRES SO YOU DONT GET SHOCKED.

if the knocking is in that cylinder it will be abel to be heard threw the ext. Loudest in the cyc. that it is in.
I normally use the jack handel i have that is hollow but about 3 foot long. and it acts like a steth a scope.

the other option is go to the auto parts store and get a mechanics stethascope for a few dollars.

A Main rod will sound real deep most of the time and a liffter will sound more like a sewing machine. and wil go up and down with idel in park and be easy to hear this.

normally a main rod you will hear if the car is under load and the harder the load the worse it will get. almost sounds like someone hiting the car with a sledge hammer

Old 12-25-2007, 04:20 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

usually after a few seconds a lifter will pump up and not make anymore noise... i thought abotu that, but then i thought as quick as it happened it almost can't be.

Old 12-25-2007, 10:03 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'd be suspicious of the oil change. If the oil was that thick and black, it sounds like the oil wasn't changed at all.

Old 12-27-2007, 09:07 PM

i'd change the oil again! sounds like it's old. if it is,... it could've lost viscosity and isn't able to pump thru to the lifters. Hurry though,.. the next noise could be squeaking rod bearings!

Old 12-27-2007, 10:39 PM

Probe the engine while its running. Isolate the area that the knock is coming from. Visit a Hdwe Store and get a 3-foot ... 4 foot length of small diameter wooden dowel. Use the Dowel to Probe the Engine. Hold an end in your fist with your thumb over the end. Put the aother end on the areas you think the knock is coming from. Put slight pressure on the spot by pushing down on the dowel with your thumb ... then, "Listen to your thumb" While one end is on the spot where the noise is coming from ... Stick your ear on your Thumbnail and "Listen" to the sounds your engine is making.

You will hear rotational sounds, tapping and ... The Knock. Move the Probe around until The Knock is right where the end of the dowel is. That's going to narrow it down for you.
Once you have the knock isolated ... try pulling a plug wire ans see if the knock diminishes or gets louder. If you "Spun-a-bearing" ... Pulling the Plug will keep that Cylinder from firing and you'll hear the Knock get softer. Add some Rev's ... If its a Bearing going it will inctease in tempo and you'll hear it. Dinking Knocks are Piston, wrist pin and Big-end related noises.

Thunking and Bunking knocks are Piston Skirt Slap and Main Bearing related. Light tapping and ticking are Valves and Lifters.

Listen to you engine and get the results Posted ASAP!