Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

7th Gen ('06-'07): loud ticking noise

Old 03-31-2015, 09:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default loud ticking/knocking noise

i bought a 06 monte ss a week and a half ago. it makes a rather loud and fairly long ticking/knocking noise (2-3 minutes)when the motor is cold.
this happened the day after i bought the car. i trailered it home due to me not having a buddy to help go with and get car. and when i drove the car, it was already warmed up, which should have been a red flag to me. but the car having 77k on it, i put that in the back of my head. when i started it the day after i got it to unload off my trailer, it sounded just like a rod banging. which i immediatly shut it off. then restarted it, and let it warm up at idle. then it quit making noises
im running seafoam in the motor currently, as the previous owner told me they changed the oil when the oil monitor was under 5%. which is a long time to sit in a motor in my opinion. the ticking sounds very low in the engine bay, and sounds like its coming from drivers side. some people have told me its my lifters (thus the reason im running sea foam currently) but i dont wanna put all my eggs in that basket so to speak. im curious if maybe a cracked flex plate would make a loud ticking? or maybe something in the transmission, making ticking noises? the noise goes away alot quicker when the car is in gear. ill know more about whats going on it trans this weekend when i drop the pan and filter, and put fresh fluid in. but im just trying to look at this noise from all angles, and not be all dead set on lifter noise.

after the motor warms up its a very quiet motor. even if you take the engine cover off, its still really quiet.

Last edited by SteveCZ28; 03-31-2015 at 11:08 PM.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:07 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It could be a cracked flexplate. But from what I've seen personally, that sounds more like a rod knock rather than a ticking noise... In your case, my guess is lifters, just because when the engine warms up, the lifters quiet down. Same thing with 3100 powered cars - hella lifter tick until the engine warms up.

Granted it could be the flexplate, or possibly loud injectors (but they would always be loud)...

Old 03-31-2015, 11:00 PM
10 Year Member

ya, i thought rod knock as well, but it would do it all the time. this quits after warm. and wont make the noise again till the motor is cold. and i cant get it to make the noise revving it in park or neutral either. which if it would make noise when revving would be a rod as well. so im stumped.

oh, nevermind, i see you were describing the noise a flex plate makes. honestly when i got it home, and started it the next day i immediatly though a rod was hammering in it. its rather loud. but after i drove it, and it got warmed up it quit. so thats where i thought back to maybe a stuck lifter. the noise is very low in the engine bay. ive never dealt with a cracked flex plate before, and dont know if they make noise when cold or not.

Last edited by SteveCZ28; 03-31-2015 at 11:03 PM.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:34 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member

Hello, he was not saying "Rod Knock" "Lifters" was his thinking and mine as well when I read about a ticking noise. My Silverado had lifters ticking from the factory. They sale additives for your oil that will quiet noisy lifters. Are you using a 5-30 or what? How long since your last oil change, could be old broke down oil and a new thicker viscosity oil would help quiet them down.

Some people add about 1/2 quart of ATF fluid to their old oil and run it around for about 20 miles without romping it and let the ATF clean the engines internals, supposed to do a wonderful job. Then drain the oil and install new filter, add 4 quarts of your 5-30 oil and 1 quart of the "Marvel Mystery" oil additive. Supposed to work like a champ. If it does not quiet down you could have a loose rocker, but then I think the noise would be a constant one.

Old 03-31-2015, 11:55 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02
Hello, he was not saying "Rod Knock" "Lifters" was his thinking and mine as well when I read about a ticking noise. My Silverado had lifters ticking from the factory. They sale additives for your oil that will quiet noisy lifters. Are you using a 5-30 or what? How long since your last oil change, could be old broke down oil and a new thicker viscosity oil would help quiet them down.

Some people add about 1/2 quart of ATF fluid to their old oil and run it around for about 20 miles without romping it and let the ATF clean the engines internals, supposed to do a wonderful job. Then drain the oil and install new filter, add 4 quarts of your 5-30 oil and 1 quart of the "Marvel Mystery" oil additive. Supposed to work like a champ. If it does not quiet down you could have a loose rocker, but then I think the noise would be a constant one.
i havent changed oil yet, so its still what the previous owner put in. they claim they run synthetic in it. they said they change every 3000 miles, but they wait until the oil monitor in the car said 5% or under, so im thinking they werent being truthful about oil changes. currently its at 7%, as if it was actually synthetic, it would go longer than the 3k miles via the engine oil monitor. the oil doesnt feel very thick, or oily right now, but i also have a can of sea foam in the crank as well, trying to loosen up sludge if there is any from running oil that long. i do have brand new 10w 30 for it, waiting for a new magnetic oil drain plug to show up, then i will be changing the oil asap. i feel the magnetic drain plug will help me see whats going on, and whether or not i have metal on metal contact by the next oil change
. i run magnetic drain plugs in everything i own. just makes me feel better seeing what may or may not be caught after each oil change

Old 04-01-2015, 12:08 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by SteveCZ28
i havent changed oil yet, so its still what the previous owner put in. they claim they run synthetic in it. they said they change every 3000 miles, but they wait until the oil monitor in the car said 5% or under, so im thinking they werent being truthful about oil changes. currently its at 7%, as if it was actually synthetic, it would go longer than the 3k miles via the engine oil monitor. the oil doesnt feel very thick, or oily right now, but i also have a can of sea foam in the crank as well, trying to loosen up sludge if there is any from running oil that long. i do have brand new 10w 30 for it, waiting for a new magnetic oil drain plug to show up, then i will be changing the oil asap. i feel the magnetic drain plug will help me see whats going on, and whether or not i have metal on metal contact by the next oil change
. i run magnetic drain plugs in everything i own. just makes me feel better seeing what may or may not be caught after each oil change
I'm with you there, I have magnetic plug for my oil and tranny, plus a rather large magnet epoxied inside the tranny pan. Seems like your doing very well at trying to get this behind you. SeaFoam, never heard anyone speak bad about that product. I like the fact your doing a 10-30, especially if your in a hot climate zone or summer is upon you soon.

I know, why change a full synthetic at 3,000, think Mobile 1 can get 10,000 miles with the correct filter. I'm running a AMSOIL 15-50 in my turbo build.

Old 04-01-2015, 03:20 AM
10 Year Member

ya, im trying to nip this in the butt. its a great looking and running car. just wish it sounded the way it looks on cold starts, lol. ya a few guys recommended the sea foam, as they thought it might be a sticking lifter as well. but im still trying to think of all situations that may cause this ticking/knocking sound. ya i run 10w 30 in everything i have, and havent had any problems yet, so ill stick to whats working with me. i have a 06 ram 1500 that has this stupid d.o.d also, and i dont have ticking from it running 10w30 lol. i guess ill know more when i drop the oil and filter, and put the fresh in. if i still have this noise, ill continue to look until i find it. hopefully sooner than later

Old 04-01-2015, 10:11 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

I agree with lifter(s) causing the noise. I have seen the ATF trick used several times, but when done the engine was left idling. If you drive the vehicle you can wash the bearings which can damage them.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:21 PM
10 Year Member

ive heard the atf trick too, but not to run very long because of the detergents that is in atf. ill stick to my sea foam that im currently running. on a positive note, when i started it today, it made very little noise. so im still havingmy fingers crossed on the sea foam helping, then fresh oil this weekend

Old 04-06-2015, 11:50 PM
10 Year Member

well i changed the oil yesterday. old oil was water thin, so i figured that was the problem. started the car today with fresh oil, and the stupid tick/knock is still there. running out of ideas that are short of selling the car