Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

6th Gen ('00-'05): intercooler question

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 08:25 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question intercooler question

hey guys i will probably be purchasing a stage 2 intercooler kit.i have the short stack and decided to upgrade it because of my mods. my question is that zzp and wbodystore both have a stage 2 kit. the kit to me seems the same however on wbodystore its cheaper by a few hundred bucks. are both the zzp and wbodystore stage 2 kit the same? am i better off staying with zzp? should i get the machined intake with the kit as well? thanks

Old 10-28-2014, 07:36 AM

What's a stage 2??

Old 10-28-2014, 08:40 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If you already have a SSIC kit installed, all you should need is a new bigger IC core. I'd get a machined intake if I were you, but it's up to you.

Old 10-28-2014, 03:39 PM
5 Year Member

Anybody else on this one where are you turbo and bumpin?

Old 10-28-2014, 04:06 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Oh and just so you know, ZZP has a way of measuring airflow through their IC cores, whereas Wbodystore doesn't IIRC.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:10 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

basically all you need is a core since you already have a heat exchanger. unless the size of the heat exchanger changed a ton between the two kits which im not sure of.

keep in mind like i said before if you ever think you might want to do a gen v swap which i recommend at this time this ic core wont work and you will have to buy a ic core for a gen v....

as far as the rest of the kit, lines etc. have a good pump, the more line you run the better as it helps with cooling, and a nice reservoir is needed. my buddy has probably 15ft of ic hose wrapped around his bumper just to help with cooling.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:34 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by turbo monte
basically all you need is a core since you already have a heat exchanger. unless the size of the heat exchanger changed a ton between the two kits which im not sure of.

keep in mind like i said before if you ever think you might want to do a gen v swap which i recommend at this time this ic core wont work and you will have to buy a ic core for a gen v....

as far as the rest of the kit, lines etc. have a good pump, the more line you run the better as it helps with cooling, and a nice reservoir is needed. my buddy has probably 15ft of ic hose wrapped around his bumper just to help with cooling.
ok i will need bigger sized lines tho too ill email zzp and see what they say about the fmhe size also won't i need alternator relocation brackets?, thanks

Last edited by 03vaderSS; 10-29-2014 at 08:39 AM.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:31 PM

hey guys i will probably be purchasing a stage 2 intercooler kit.i have the short stack and decided to upgrade it because of my mods.
I agree with the others- before you buy a full kit, can you tell us what brand/type of pump you currently have as well as the approximate size of your FMHE? I know the line size is different on the cores, but sometimes parts are sold with adapters to step them down to the size you're using.

I'd just hate to see you double the cost of your install if you've already got a viable pump and FMHE as it could be as simple as putting on a new core and running larger diameter line (that you could always source from a local auto parts store).

There is a possibility that you've got a crumby pump, or a tiny FMHE- in which case it may make more sense to get a kit.

my question is that zzp and wbodystore both have a stage 2 kit. the kit to me seems the same however on wbodystore its cheaper by a few hundred bucks. are both the zzp and wbodystore stage 2 kit the same? am i better off staying with zzp?
A couple differences I see:
-WBS appears to include a breather because it will block off your stock PCV system. The ZZP unit claims to retain PCV functionality if you buy the machined intake too. Not sure if machining the intake on a WBS unit could make PCV functional again?
-FMHE - the WBS link is dead for their 'new' FMHE, but if you look at the one they sell separately, the image is almost an exact copy of the frozenboost.com FMHE type 101. It's not a terrible FMHE as tons of people run them, but the ZZP one is a better unit. There was a thread a couple years ago on clubgp where they had cutaways of both.

Keep in mind though, you really could piece together a kit- if you liked the WBS core, you could always buy the standard Bosch pump and a ZZP FMHE- nothing wrong with that either.

I'm somewhat indifferent as to which kit is the one to go with. The ZZP one has a few features I like, but as you noticed, it is a little more expensive too. Unless it's for an all out max-performance build, you're not really going to see a major power difference between the two units.

should i get the machined intake with the kit as well? thanks
I definitely think you should run one, even if you don't care about PCV and just want to open up the inlet yourself. The benefit is that you can effectively utilize more of the core because the factory LIM blocks the back half of the fins. I realize the SC outlet is rather far forward, but I do see a benefit to allowing more air circulation in and under the core by opening up the LIM.

Personally, I opened up my own LIM when I first went IC since I was externally plumbing PCV. The way I did mine originally was to take a stock gasket, and cut out the cardboard just inside the red line around the outlet (basically extending the square opening to the right all the way to the BBV opening).

Then I put the gasket on the LIM (obviously with the LIM off the car), and traced inside the new opening with Sharpie to create cut lines on the LIM. Then I came in with a jigsaw and cut along the Sharpie lines (you could use a cutoff wheel, angle grinder, etc- just make sure you don't damage the remaining mating surface on the LIM). Unfortunately, the piece won't just fall off at that point because it has two pedestals still supporting it (the two shiny spots along the center hump below)

I just used my jigsaw to cut up to and around them, so I could remove the excess LIM top surface, and then just cut the supports off with a dremel. Last bit was a quick deburr along the jigsaw'd edge with a dremel. As long as you clean everything thoroughly afterwards, it's really not a bad job.

Also would be a good time to upgrade to the aluminum LIM gaskets while you've got it all apart:

-note none of the pictures are mine, they are just ones I found on google.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 10-29-2014 at 10:34 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:24 AM
5 Year Member

Thanks bumpin the gaskets at the bottom of your post I actually have in my car now, so your saying core, fmhe I will ask zzp the size difference, and bigger lines from an auto store. The pump I have is a flojet that came with the ss kit. I'm sure I should go with the Bosch as is should be a better preformer for the bigger ic. Also, won't I need alternator relocation brackets? What about modified fuel rails? I already have the rails but will I need to modify them for the lift difference on the new core?

Old 10-30-2014, 07:04 PM
5 Year Member
Question

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
I agree with the others- before you buy a full kit, can you tell us what brand/type of pump you currently have as well as the approximate size of your FMHE? I know the line size is different on the cores, but sometimes parts are sold with adapters to step them down to the size you're using.

I'd just hate to see you double the cost of your install if you've already got a viable pump and FMHE as it could be as simple as putting on a new core and running larger diameter line (that you could always source from a local auto parts store).

There is a possibility that you've got a crumby pump, or a tiny FMHE- in which case it may make more sense to get a kit.

A couple differences I see:
-WBS appears to include a breather because it will block off your stock PCV system. The ZZP unit claims to retain PCV functionality if you buy the machined intake too. Not sure if machining the intake on a WBS unit could make PCV functional again?
-FMHE - the WBS link is dead for their 'new' FMHE, but if you look at the one they sell separately, the image is almost an exact copy of the frozenboost.com FMHE type 101. It's not a terrible FMHE as tons of people run them, but the ZZP one is a better unit. There was a thread a couple years ago on clubgp where they had cutaways of both.

Keep in mind though, you really could piece together a kit- if you liked the WBS core, you could always buy the standard Bosch pump and a ZZP FMHE- nothing wrong with that either.

I'm somewhat indifferent as to which kit is the one to go with. The ZZP one has a few features I like, but as you noticed, it is a little more expensive too. Unless it's for an all out max-performance build, you're not really going to see a major power difference between the two units.

I definitely think you should run one, even if you don't care about PCV and just want to open up the inlet yourself. The benefit is that you can effectively utilize more of the core because the factory LIM blocks the back half of the fins. I realize the SC outlet is rather far forward, but I do see a benefit to allowing more air circulation in and under the core by opening up the LIM.

Personally, I opened up my own LIM when I first went IC since I was externally plumbing PCV. The way I did mine originally was to take a stock gasket, and cut out the cardboard just inside the red line around the outlet (basically extending the square opening to the right all the way to the BBV opening).

Then I put the gasket on the LIM (obviously with the LIM off the car), and traced inside the new opening with Sharpie to create cut lines on the LIM. Then I came in with a jigsaw and cut along the Sharpie lines (you could use a cutoff wheel, angle grinder, etc- just make sure you don't damage the remaining mating surface on the LIM). Unfortunately, the piece won't just fall off at that point because it has two pedestals still supporting it (the two shiny spots along the center hump below)

I just used my jigsaw to cut up to and around them, so I could remove the excess LIM top surface, and then just cut the supports off with a dremel. Last bit was a quick deburr along the jigsaw'd edge with a dremel. As long as you clean everything thoroughly afterwards, it's really not a bad job.

Also would be a good time to upgrade to the aluminum LIM gaskets while you've got it all apart:

-note none of the pictures are mine, they are just ones I found on google.
ok i have a problem here, i forgot to tell you guys I'm running an ssm90 lim which is an l67 with the injector bungs added. my heads also do not have the injector bungs inside them. how will the stage 2 ic fit? won't it take up the area of the injectors?