Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Intercooler question

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 08:12 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Intercooler question

Can someone explain to me what an intercooler core is? im confused about it. Im assuming it is an upgrade for an intercooler that is already in but i was wondering if i was wrong and if it is something completely seperate by itself?

Old 11-06-2013, 09:17 PM

Depends how the person is using the term, I've heard 'core' used to mean just the finned heat exchanger part of the intercooler (the part that looks like a heater core), and I've also heard the whole assembly referred to as the 'core' (the heat exchanger, plus the upper and lower aluminum adapters that allow it to bolt onto your engine. Even ZZP interchanges it's meaning on their website.

If you mean the heat exchanger itself- you can't really just upgrade it if you have an intercooler already. The adapter plates are designed to hold a specific size and shape of exchanger - so short of getting a custom one built with higher fin density, or other slightly different design features that is still physically the same size, then you're kinda stuck.

If you mean the whole assembly- the exchanger, and the aluminum plates that it sits between- then you can technically upgrade it (although this is by far the most expensive part of an IC setup, so basically you're just buying a whole new IC kit). Realistically though, unless you have a ZZP short stack, there really isn't much to upgrade to. The short stack guys can upgrade to a full size; but those that already have a full size IC don't have many options without going with a custom IC setup.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:42 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

So the inter cooler core on Zzp is a seperate unit itself that I could put on my l67 without getting an actual ss inter cooler?

Old 11-07-2013, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by dan1313
So the inter cooler core on Zzp is a seperate unit itself that I could put on my l67 without getting an actual ss inter cooler?
I don't really understand what you mean here. Do you currently have an intercooler, or not?

If not, and you want an intercooler- you have to buy a complete intercooler kit (or piece together the parts to make a kit). Like this:

If you already have an intercooler- post up what brand you have to see if there are upgrade options.

As far as buying just a core, that would be completely useless without the other parts to make it function.

If you call just the heat exchanger a core:

That would be totally useless. You need a way to mount it in the airflow stream.

If you call the heat exchanger and the adapter plate the core:

Then at least you can physically attach that to your engine. It still won't do anything by itself- because you need to set up a complete cooling system for it to function (electric water pump, hoses, radiator, etc).