Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Intercooler Kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2020, 09:43 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Default Intercooler Kit

ZZP just informed me that they will be refunding my order of an air to air intercooler kit due to the fact that the charge pipes will not be restocked for 6+ months. The intercooler kit was not listed as out of stock on their website when I placed the order, and as of writing this thread, is still not listed as out of stock.

Is there anyone else on the market that sells a premade intercooler kit for a 3800 turbo build, or am I forced to go custom now?

Old 06-16-2020, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by WolvenScout
ZZP just informed me that they will be refunding my order of an air to air intercooler kit due to the fact that the charge pipes will not be restocked for 6+ months. The intercooler kit was not listed as out of stock on their website when I placed the order, and as of writing this thread, is still not listed as out of stock.
Unfortunately that's not super surprising in this COVID environment. Could be shut downs / shortage of employees (at ZZP or their suppliers), could be the massive interruptions in Chinese product coming in (such as tubing). Sucks they didnt have it flagged as sold out, but at least they were honest and refunded your money vs dragging you on for months as some 3800 vendors have done.

It does show sold out as of this morning.

Is there anyone else on the market that sells a premade intercooler kit for a 3800 turbo build, or am I forced to go custom now?
I see 2 options for premade:
-Cartuning is still active in the turbo 3800 market and used to have lots of kits in stock ready to ship. They dont allow separate IC purchase on their website, but maybe if you called them you could buy just the IC?
-Buy a used turbo kit. The pieces you're after dont go bad, so as long as the car wasnt wrecked or the HE wasnt shredded with rocks / road debris, the IC will work fine. If you're really opposed to using the rest of the kit, you can always just flip the rest as non-IC just needing a tube to connect the turbo to TB. They're also going for dirt cheap - last one I saw a couple months back on GPF was like $1500 shipped although it has since sold. But theres lots of 3800 forums out there you could search to find one.

Old 06-16-2020, 10:28 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

I actually decided to go with a universal kit from ebay after someone from a 3800 facebook group said that's what they used. I picked out a decent black powder coated kit, and also picked up an additional section of pipe that has the flange for the BOV. I'm going to be using a mishimoto intercooler core, and a tial BOV. All of this will come out about 450$ less than a ZZP or cartuning kit.