Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

intercooler!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 11:43 AM
Default intercooler!

I have a buddy with an 05 neon SRT4... he is getting a bigger intercooler and he wants me to put his old intercooler in my 3.8 supercharger. can i actually do that even though i dont have a turbo kit? He said that i can have some custom piping done and that it will work!??? any ideas??? if it does work... can i go with a 3.0 pulley???

Old 05-12-2010, 11:56 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Too much work for the hassle, if you want to intercool for cheap just get on clubgp and find someone parting one.

What engine work do you have done that you want to drop to a 3.0!!

Old 05-12-2010, 06:38 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- May 2009
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

ya i think you'd prolly pay the same for the piping as you would for the whole kit used on club gp. 3.0 pulley is pretty aggressive, if your just throwing on the intercooler and have nothing else done to the engine, you could drop a pulley size probably AFTER YOU SCAN FOR KNOCK. like the emphasis? lol

Old 05-13-2010, 10:26 AM

Well i have a an M90 ported blower, CAI, 3.5 pulley, aftermarket PCM, and resonator delete! i want to go down on pulley sizes because i want it to spin faster! i know i have to cam it, but i dont have the $ to do so lol!

Old 05-13-2010, 10:50 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by SuperMonte8
Well i have a an M90 ported blower, CAI, 3.5 pulley, aftermarket PCM, and resonator delete! i want to go down on pulley sizes because i want it to spin faster! i know i have to cam it, but i dont have the $ to do so lol!
CAI, good
Aftermarket PCM... meh
Resonator delete, DOES NOTHING for KR.

You shouldn't even be on a 3.5 pulley. You should still be on the STOCK 3.8. Are you at least using 93/94 octane?

If you want to run your 3.5 / 3.4 pulley, you'll need to do something about your Front Exhaust Manifold, either get headers or at LEAST the ZZP Powerlog. Then if you didn't get headers you'll also need to do something about your restrictive downpipe, or AT LEAST the u-bend. What spark plugs are you using? You'll need to drop those down a degree or two. Did you throw a 180° Thermostat in? Cooler temps = lower KR. If you don't want to do the cam, then you'll need to get 1.9 Modded Rockers. All of this will allow you to probably run your 3.4 safely.

Checklist:
[ ] CAI
[ ] 1.9 Modded Rockers (or Cam)
[ ] Powerlog & Downpipe (or Headers)
[ ] 180° Thermostat
[ ] 1 degree colder plugs (maybe)
[ ] way to scan for Knock Retard (KR)
[ ] a real tune. (or at least a canned tune with above mods put in.)

Now if you want to go lower than a 3.4 pulley
[ ] above checklist, with the items in blue on options
[ ] ported blower
[ ] ported Throttle Body
[ ] ported Heads
[ ] intercooler
[ ] MUST have a real tune this time.

If you just drop your pulley sizes, without having a way to scan for KR and no supporting mods, you're going to chip your pistons and kill your engine. Having lots of KR actually robs you of power, so running a 3.0 inefficently could very very easily be less HP than running a 3.5 pulley with the proper timing.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:09 PM

can i actually do that even though i dont have a turbo kit?
Actually, yes you could. There is a place in Australia that makes an air-air intercooler adaptor for the L67. It's really a pain since you have to cool the air after it's boosted (ie after the supercharger)- hence the expensive adapter piece. I will say, I've never seen a FWD 3800 over here use it- so expect EXTENSIVE work to make this piece fit- on top of running custom plumbing to connect the intercooler.

http://v6supercharged.com.au/coolerplate.asp

The adapter runs $1650 (AUS I assume). Pics:

However, that is probably by far the most difficult and expensive way you could intercool your car. Even if the IC was free from your friend- I'd bet you'd still have $2000 wrapped up in it by the time you get piping made, move some stuff around, etc.

The easier way to go would be to buy an actual water-air intercooler. Much easier to install, and much cheaper:

http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...=420&catid=139

Cores alone start at $300 for the short stack, or $650 for a full size.

http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...=234&catid=139

Full kits (ie if you don't want to piece together your own setup) start at $1100 for a full size.

He said that i can have some custom piping done and that it will work!??? any ideas???
Sorry to say, but your friend has no clue what he is talking about with SC cars. You have to cool boosted air (ie you can't put an IC before the supercharger and have it work well)- so you have to take the heated air from under the blower- how are you going to get the air out from under the blower- to the front of the car, and back into the lower intake with just some custom piping?

if it does work... can i go with a 3.0 pulley???
lol, you've got a long way to go before you get there- start with a scan tool first (an aeroforce gauge or similar) to see how much knock/KR you have.

Well i have a an M90 ported blower, CAI, 3.5 pulley, aftermarket PCM, and resonator delete! i want to go down on pulley sizes because i want it to spin faster!
I also think you may still have a little knock with the 3.5" pulley. You really need to scan the pcm to see how much KR you have. Spinning the SC faster does NO good if you already have KR- because it will just climb higher (since the engine is already knocking on the good spark table)- and your engine will retard timing even more. Especially when you get down to a 3.0 pulley- chances of chipping a piston from KR/knock is very high if you're not watching how much you have.

i know i have to cam it, but i dont have the $ to do so lol!
You don't *have* to cam it to run a 3.0 (why so specific on a 3.0 anyways- they make down to a 2.55")- rockers, a good water to air IC, E85, and some other supporting mods should take care of that just fine.