Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

4T65-e thrasher shift kit + intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 05:20 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default 4T65-e thrasher shift kit + intercooler

Hey guys,

I own an 03 MC SS with the 4T65-e transmission. I have 133,300km on it. Recently, @ 124,000km, I had transmission EPC solenoid problems. I had that solenoid replaced and had my transmission flushed. During my morning drives to work and back (in traffic) the shifting gets very firm/very strong I guess due to overheating. I wanted to know if any of you have installed a shift kit or an intercooler in your transmissions to help prevent more wear and tear, and do you notice an improvement in performance after its done? I also wanted to know if it is necessary to have a bunch of mods done on the motor before installing the shift kit and intercooler, as motor wise, mine is pretty much stock with K&N intake and recently done a tune up on it with iridium plugs. If you guys can also tell me (from your experience) how often tranny fluid should be flushed, especially on these transmissions.

Thanks for your help,

George

Old 08-22-2010, 05:26 PM

i have a transmission cooler for mine. it does help out alot on the high way as well as in city traffic it seems like mine runs a little cooler and i am glad. the only down fall to it it takes a little more trans fluid.

Old 08-22-2010, 05:28 PM

oh i forgot i dont have aa shift kit for it i put it on to help with life long jevity with mantenence.

Old 08-22-2010, 06:17 PM
5 Year Member

Hey Monte07,

Thanks for your reply. I am new with regards to vehicle modifications, but surely, slowly learning everyday. My vehicle is the N/A 3800 L36 no special modifications to the motor or exhaust system or PCM, is this okay? Also If I do decide to install these components where do you suggest I purchase them from and what would be a fair price for both the shift kit and the intercooler installed and everything. I live in Canada so I'm thinking of taking it to Mr. Transmission and have them installed.

Thanks again for your feedback

Old 08-22-2010, 06:23 PM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have a shift kit that came free with some of the other upgrades that I have done to my car. When reading the installation manual, I noticed that it contained the replacement springs that go into the the accumulator housing as well as the 3-4 springs that are located deeper within the tranny. The material that came with the kit claimed to increase transmission life by reducing the slippage that occurs between shifts. The manual was for shop personel and was not an advertisement. I don't know if it makes the tranny last longer, but I am VERY happy with the improvements. ESPECIALLY the 1-2 shift. I hope this helps. Good luck.

Old 08-22-2010, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by l0gitech87
Hey guys,

I own an 03 MC SS with the 4T65-e transmission. I have 133,300km on it. Recently, @ 124,000km, I had transmission EPC solenoid problems. I had that solenoid replaced and had my transmission flushed. During my morning drives to work and back (in traffic) the shifting gets very firm/very strong I guess due to overheating. I wanted to know if any of you have installed a shift kit or an intercooler in your transmissions to help prevent more wear and tear, and do you notice an improvement in performance after its done? I also wanted to know if it is necessary to have a bunch of mods done on the motor before installing the shift kit and intercooler, as motor wise, mine is pretty much stock with K&N intake and recently done a tune up on it with iridium plugs. If you guys can also tell me (from your experience) how often tranny fluid should be flushed, especially on these transmissions.

Thanks for your help,

George
The shift kit should reduce heating of your trans fluid due to quicker/harder shifting, less clutch slippage, therefore less heat generated. No performance mod's to the engine are necessary.

I'd recommend a fluid AND filter change every 30,000 miles. Worn fluid is the usual killer of transmissions. Cheap insurance for the life of your trans.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:33 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks for the feedback guys. Your information is really helpful. One last question is, where would the best place to shop for these things be, (online, in store). I heard of zzperformance, and ebay as well carries a lot of transmission parts, and what would be more preferred, thrasher or transgo?

Thanks again,

George

Old 08-22-2010, 09:04 PM
5 Year Member

Sorry guys, I'm really new at this. Do I need to modify anything on my PCM, with regards to shift timings and what not. Also, is the intercooler specifically for the transmission or is it for the engine+transmission. I found the thrasher kit on www.3800performance.com but I need more info on the intercooler.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:05 PM

you can piece the shift kit together with parts from a hardware store, but in all honesty its more convenient to just get the whole package including tranny filter from w-body store or zzp. also transmission flushes at such a high mileage is not recommended

Old 08-23-2010, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by l0gitech87
Sorry guys, I'm really new at this. Do I need to modify anything on my PCM, with regards to shift timings and what not. Also, is the intercooler specifically for the transmission or is it for the engine+transmission. I found the thrasher kit on www.3800performance.com but I need more info on the intercooler.
No, you don't need to modify the PCM. The shift kit will do it's wonders all by itself.

Quick Reply: 4T65-e thrasher shift kit + intercooler