Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

6th Gen ('00-'05): High Perf mode button

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 06:07 AM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Mike 00LS
Looks like that is your answer - which also explains why I couldn't find anything on it on the diagram I looked at - I pulled up a 2002 Grand Prix w/ a 3.8.

So I pulled up a '99 and low and behold the performance shift switch is on it.
So can you pull up a pin out comparison for the 03 GTP and MCSS? Maybe even 04?

If so I would be very interested in seeing that.

Old 09-17-2012, 02:13 PM
1 Year Member
Default Talked to my trans guy

and he sort of agrees that the button is not really needed with His transmission and the way the PCM is tuned.
My one remaining contention now is the downshift points.
I KNOW that I don't want the downshift points the same for the performance for normal driving. That would be really annoying.

Not to be terribly stubborn, but I'm still looking.

Last edited by rlj4214; 09-17-2012 at 02:18 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:35 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Technically with the downshift points you can set it to be throttle specific. If you go 75%+ on the TPS then it would skip-shift, if not then it wouldn't.

This way your foot controls everything

Old 09-17-2012, 04:11 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Technically with the downshift points you can set it to be throttle specific. If you go 75%+ on the TPS then it would skip-shift, if not then it wouldn't.

This way your foot controls everything
Thank you for your reply.

The reason I am having a problem with that is if you are autocrossing the car for instance. I want the down shift to occur while there is some but not a lot of throttle and the set point will vary depending on the turn and the exit. This is very important. It's the reason that we us both feet and trail breaking to get the car to point in a little lose and leave a little tight or sometimes the opposite depending on the situation. I believe the first scenario is more accurate for my particular driving style and of course this is a FWD car so that changes the game also. Amazingly enough FWD handles a great deal like a formula car.

The more I study this the more I disagree with not using the button.
Even if it is only to change shift points, that can be a big deal.
Sounds more and more to me like people just don't want to put out the effort to make it work, which is really looking more and more like a little research and a couple of wires to me.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:29 PM
1 Year Member

The ideal scenario would be to have a top limit say 7k for instance
and
the ability to use the shifter to down shift and up shift manually in a given rpm range.
uuuuhhhhh a modified standard? :-)
all 3 brain cells are still operating in button mode and i still like the idea and will continue to look.
if you guys want me to continue to tell you what i find say so, if you don't care i will likely stop posting.

And no my stereo is stock and I have no need to spend money on that at this point it time. future maybe.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by rlj4214
Since your turbo boost is controlled by a waste gate, presumably you could hook up an electronic boost control and work the boost that way. I have had really bad luck with electronic boost controls and prefer to use a manual one.

As far as the mileage is concerned, if your VE table is set up correctly for your car simply not standing on it would help.

You will note that in our PCM's we really do not have a way to change the way the engine acts by reading MAP. There are tricks that will allow you to do some stuff but without a custom OS the tables that address positive manifold pressure are not there, They stop at ambient pressure unfortunately.
Thats what I was talking about. Have low performance street tuned for say 6 psi and soft shifts, and strip tune mode set for like 20 psi and hard shifts and raised rpm shift points. Hit the performance button adjust boost level and race.

Last edited by Mr Grizzly Mint; 09-17-2012 at 09:21 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:44 AM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Mr Grizzly Mint
Thats what I was talking about. Have low performance street tuned for say 6 psi and soft shifts, and strip tune mode set for like 20 psi and hard shifts and raised rpm shift points. Hit the performance button adjust boost level and race.
I pretty much agree, however, like i said I have had really bad luck with electric waste gate controls.

Doesn't mean there isn't one that works well, I just don't know which one I would use.

Personally I like the Turbonetics billet manual unit. Easy to use and totally reliable plus it looks good.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:10 PM
1 Year Member
Default A message received today from my Transmission Guy

The relevance of this is that I am switching to an HD transmission and he is accepting my reasoning for the switch.

Of course, I completely agree with him.

As far as the torque converter goes, well I will have to go strictly on advice given as I have no real clue how to make a judgement on stall speed.

Turning on the performance mode via a button was in a table I found in DHP but not in HP Tuners or Tuner C.A.T.S. there are 4 choices for "Type of Performance switch used to trigger the mode in the PCM."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Since you have a 2003 model year then you can really use any 2003+ model year transmission. 2002 and earlier are electrically a bit different and can be converted but would be best to start with the correct matching year or year range to work with.

Performance shift has zero difference between the transmissions, it is simply a switch wired in to send a ground signal to the pcm that enables it or not, and in the tune you have to select performance shift being turned ON. Not all tuning software allows this.

Adding performance shift will definately give you the flexibility of having two different sets of shift tables so if that is what you are looking for it will accomplish that and you can leave the normal one stock and just work with the performance table for spirited driving.

For stall speed it really depends what engine setup you are going with. The stock supercharged application torque converters stall 2800-3000 rpm in the supercharged cars. Torque converters stall speed is a direct relation to engine torque output, the higher the output the looser the converter (higher the rpm)will be. Stock NA 3800s stall around 2600-2800. We typically use stock supercharged converters for all M90 builds up to about 350whp. For turbo builds we have custom converters built and stall speed set to match the combo.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

So that's where I am for now.

Attached Thumbnails High Perf mode button-shft-mode.jpg  
Old 09-22-2012, 10:43 AM
1 Year Member
Default DHP preformance enable

I found the table that lets me turn this on but it has a total of 5 settings 0 to 4.
This is to select switch type.
Does anybody know what the switch types are?
I assume that 0 turns it off but no clue as to the different types of switches.

Old 09-28-2012, 01:06 PM
1 Year Member

Got this from the guy at Tuner C.A.T.S.

OK, I think this parameter is called 'Shift Pattern Input Type' in the OBDII
Tuner. The parameter specifies what input, if any, is used to determine the
shift pattern. It's located in the Transmission Parameters section of the
Constants table and has the following possible values:

0 = No switch
1 = Discrete switch
2 = Analog switch
3 = Class 2
4 = UART