Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

6th Gen ('00-'05): here we go again :( another trans toast :(

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 09:08 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default here we go again :( another trans toast :(

as you all know i am making a lot of power and with a lot of power things like to break.... unfortunately for me they are breaking almost every time i drive the car

so i am getting ready to build trans 4! i took turbo monte out wednesday and made some highway pulls and she was running great, i come home and shift into reverse and i have nothing so i shift into D and have nothing..... it will move but hardly at all its slipping very bad. so i narrowed it down to the ratcheting sprags in the trans locked up and it fried the input clutches hence why it drove fine until i came to a stop

so now for the good part, while it is out getting rebuilt i am upgrading more parts that i have finally found a source to getting my hands on some of you may know what these parts are and if you do and you dint have them you will probably be jealous and if you do have them you know why others will be jealous and if you dont know what these parts are and you plan to make over 500whp i suggest researching it and trying your best to find them

now onto the list of goodies.....

aermet GMR 800hp input shaft
GMR 300m output shaft
GMR torsen diff
GMR 1" 3/8" pitch (secret and rare gear ratio) chain set (i have a 1" 7/16" pitch 3.52 gear ratio chain set i am simply switching because i want the different gear ratio)

i will be going to the earlier design sprags which are better to help prevent the failure that has happened and also replacing input clutches, 4th clutches and 4th hub. if second and third clutches show wear they will be replaced as well.

this set me back a step i didnt want to have happen, i was getting ready to buy a complete aitr bag setup but now money goes to a trans instead.... o well these parts i am getting are well worth it

FYI ALL OF THE GMR PARTS ARE DISCONTINUED YOU CAN NOT BUY THEM ANYMORE

I will keep you all posted once i decide to tear the trans out once again..... im getting tired of working on it

as ive always said and been told... big hp=big money

Last edited by turbo monte; 09-21-2013 at 09:31 PM.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:10 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Must have been that wedding burnout

Old 09-20-2013, 09:14 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

John:
Sorry to hear about the trans takeing a dump on your parade!
I hope its an easy fix once you get the right parts for it! Good Luck!!
Keep us posted.
Thanks for shareing the HP info!

Old 09-20-2013, 09:27 PM
10 Year Member

lol nah it wasnt the wedding burnout it was when i raced or in better words crushed a new malibu ss on my way home the night this happened. thats when i think it happened lol not saying the burnout didnt play a part in it though

its all in all an easy fix and a cheap fix if i would just fix it but while i am in there i am upgrading all the hard to find parts i finally found which makes it an expensive fix lol.

in all honesty i could have it fixed for about $300 in parts at the most but with all the parts i decided to upgrade im looking at around a $3500-4000 rebuild, although i will be able to sell my 300m input shaft and my current GMR 1" to offset some of the cost which is a good thing. and for anyone wondering i am 99% sure i have my current 1" chain set sold and its not even out of the car yet

Old 09-20-2013, 11:47 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Dude, that is sucking!!!

I don't follow a lot with the transmissions on these (other then I know they are a weak spot). In brief, how does the current trans build you're going for stack up against a built trans from T.E.P.?? I'm assuming the end result you're hitting is better in cost and quality then T.E.P....

Old 09-21-2013, 05:00 AM
10 Year Member

The trans build I have and I am building now are both better than TEP because I sourced the GMR components. TEP can not get GMR components. Now for the other parts like the valve body and Chanel plate upgrades, clutches etc all of this I bought from TEP.

TEP builds an awesome trans, I would recommend anyone to him!

Old 09-21-2013, 06:29 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm sure TEP will be getting my money in a couple of years... haha

Old 09-21-2013, 07:54 AM
10 Year Member

I agree with that with your build. You should start sourcing a 1" chain set now and start a savings fund for a trans build haha

Old 09-21-2013, 08:14 AM
Thumbs up "The Cost of POWER" > $ < ? > WoW <

Hi `John,
Sorry to read about another transmission dump'in on you
Sadly > POWER COST > BIG TIME $'s 2 have `Fun...

It seems to be a never ending expense, but it's sure super fun to be in control of ones Power & hook `up & beat the competitor's that challenge your machine

Some fun cost more then other fun & there always seems to be other's that come along with more power to challenge your machine.

It's a never ending cost, but it's never ending fun as long as you can afford to stay in the Performance Game. > I wish you good luck on getting your machine built better then b-4 & the race continues...= = = = = = = == = = = =
EnJoy your Power & Good Luck